Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: In defense of the 6d
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 pm 
Let me first start by saying I consider myself a amateur photographer in his third year of serious photography. I have been incredibly happy with my baby T3i, its a work horse for a "cheap" entry level DSLR, and I have come to the point where I am looking to move into the full frame world in the next few months. So you might imagine I was really excited to hear about the 6D, an "affordable" full frame for those of us who find it painful to dish out over $3K for just a body. I have to say based on the specs I am very disappointed by the 6d, and here is why. My 600D(T3i) has 9 AF points with one cross type, and so if I dish over 2K I will be upgrading to only 11 AF points with one cross type. Yes I know Canon is saying that single cross type is a revolution with its -3 ev for amazing low light performance. What they failed to mention is that -3 will only be effective on fast lenses 2.8 and faster. It comes with only one card slot, and it boasts a meager 4.5 frames per second. Am I the only one who is looking at the D600 with envy? It seems as though Nikon decided to bring the big guns to this fight, while Canon opened up their rubbish bin and bastardized a 650D, 5D mach 2 love child. I know Canon is appealing to the entry level user with deeper pockets, but what about those amateurs that were looking for an opportunity to get into serious full frame photography. The only thing that is keeping me from switching at the moment is the hope that the official tests of the Camera will yield some amazing surprises and that I love the Canon lens lineup. If anyone disagrees with me, please feel free to state your point, because I am looking for every reason to stay in the Canon camp and not pick up a D600.

Post subject: Re: In defense of the 6d
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:43 am 

Well - after touching both cameras on the photokina I have to say the 6D feels quite a bit better and more robust and it has a nicer grip. Even in the dim light there the outer line AF points were quite good as well. While the D600 offers nine cross type AF points they are all around the center as well so in the end the one very strong center AF point of the 6D might be the even better choice. The outer AF points are not as close together as on the D600 as the 6D has less of them but they even cover a slightly wider field.
The 6D has only one card slot but you rarely need more of them at the same time - and different from the 5D3 the 6D offers a UHS-1 SD card slot and if you look at the speed comparison between the 5D3 and the D800 you might get to hope that the 6D will clear the buffer faster than the D600.
The 6D has built in GPS and WiFi - not a real deal breaker but nice-to-have depending on how you shoot.
If the low light performance is at least as good as on the 5D3 it's awesome!

So don't worry - the 6D is an absolutely great camera ;) I compared it directly to my 5D3 (in the short period of time I had) and the 6D felt good while the D600 feld a tad too small in my hands and the knobs are not really sorted the way I was used to it. They even had the ISO knob on the back - on the left side near the screen. Come on - the 6D has a much better layout.

So: Yeah. The D600 has some pretty nice features and on the paper it might win. Still I'd really prefer the 6D for how it feels in my hands and for the absolutely great center AF point I prefer over 9 worse cross AF points crammed in the center.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:23 am 

I love the 7D for all my wildlife related activities, but can see the 6D become a nice second body for landscape and portrait type applications. I am just going to wait for the price to drop a bit.
I think the 5D III offers far more than what I need or want to spend money on at this point. If the 5D II was my only option, I wouldn`t not have considered buying a full frame body but now I think I will. I don`t see the point in buying a 5D II unless I can pick it up nice and cheap second hand.

So I think its a great fit.

I always like to check to see what Nikon and Sony are doing and its good for us a consumers to see new products, but I cannot see how changing to Nikon is suddenly going to get me better pictures. I question how many of the new features which I would use anyway, the main game is still frame the subject, focus and take the shot. :)

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 am 

its worth checking a detailed reviews like
http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d600

I do believe that canon forced to launch 6D , not intentionally

They dont want people to shift to competitor's brand, that forced them to launch an 'unfinished' product

Also its shocking to hear that Canon's recent sensors getting the somewhat least ratings in the industry! what happened to their technology

Nikon D800 and D600 received the highest rating according to DxOMark

"Canon decided to cut on many standard and important features on the 6D. For example, there is no built-in flash on the 6D. In comparison, the Nikon D600 has the same built-in flash as higher-end DSLRs, with ability to remotely control other flashes. Canon decided to use the same old 11-point AF system used on the Canon 5D/5D Mark II with a single cross-type sensor, while Nikon used a much better 39 point AF system, with 9 cross-type sensors. The viewfinder on the 6D has 97% coverage, while the D600 has 100% coverage. The speed of the camera is also inferior – 4.5 fps on the 6D versus 5.5 fps on the D600. A single SD memory card slot versus dual on the D600 . Finally, it falls behind in terms of megapixels (20.2 MP vs 24.3 MP). While megapixels do not really matter, it will be hard for the 6D to compete with the second best sensor in the world (according to DxOMark), which has better dynamic range and colors."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:35 pm 

It seems like Canon made 5d3 to be all-purpose camera and 6D to be more of a studio type camera.
Nikon is the opposite; D800 as a studio type camera and D600 as a all-purpose camera.

I'm looking forward to the release of 6D and comprehensive 6D D600 comparison reviews!

Panasonic Pancake 14mm f2.5, Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 75mm f1.8
Panasonic 14-42mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 pm 

renjith wrote:
Also its shocking to hear that Canon's recent sensors getting the somewhat least ratings in the industry! what happened to their technology

Nothing - and that's the point. The other improved their technology but Canon's improvements are just not that impressive at the moment.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:48 pm 

Why don't we just wait and get some hands on comparisons before we start forming opinions. Yes i think it SOUNDS like they could have done more but who knows, maybe this new sensor that goes to -3ev may be the best new thing on the market. Take a deep breath and wait until we can get some real results

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:42 am 

just noticed that it doesn`t come with build in flash, that is about the most disappointing thing that I have read about it so far.

I appreciate that I get better results with an external flash, but I don`t want to always carry that around with me. I can appreciate that for the 5DIII its not required and that as a pro camera its aiming for the better results.

But producing a budget version of a full frame body without flash is a bit of an oversight. Sometimes you need a bit of fill light.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm 

I also think it's a disapointment that the 6D doesn't have a pop up flash to.

This is partly based on the fact that:

A- The pentaprism is smaller, accounting for 97% coverage
B- Defeating the object of having a smaller and lighter camera set up, because external flashes will need to be carried for the simplist of backlit/ contrasty situations.
C- That doesn't take avantage of the wireless flash trigger system available on the APS-C (it is obviously clear from youtube how clearly useful the Nikon Creative Lighting System is to pro togs using d700-800's). We'd have to buy a trigger, which adds more weight.
D- The camera is mainly been billed as a step up for APS-C users, so a user friendly form of artifical lighting I think is mandatory; the camera does take SD cards and the layout is extremly similar to the 60D.

The boys at Canon would proberly argue my points away, stating that there would not be enough room for the transmitters on top and a built in flash.

I quite strongly agree with the consensus really; the EOS 6D comes up too far short for the £1800 wanted at this point in time (pending noise/iso and AF performance). Its a sort of hybrid really; it has the blandness of 1100D with a 60D body and button layout, with a full frame sensor, and without the flash of course. I think if you wanted more from an upgrade, and can't afford the hike to a 5D Mk3, buy a 7D or hang around for the 7D Mk2 (I think I'll wait for this one, then weigh up the options again).

Canon EOS 6D & 40D w. 24-105mm f4L IS USM + 70-200mm f4L IS USM + 28mm f1.8 USM + 50mm f1.4 USM + 100mm f2.0 USM Canon S95, Canon EOS 300 and Rolleiflex f3.5 TLR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 pm 

I would recommend taking a step back and wait for the reviews before you reject this camera outright.
Yes, spec wise it is not as good as the 5DIII nor does not have everything of the 5DII.
This is a new product in a new category. This is going to be different.

While I am not exactly thrilled about this camera, and will probably get the 5DIII, I am not going to say if this camera is a mistake or not until I get more information. Gordon does an excellent review of cameras and I have come to trust his reviews over the years. On top of that, there are a few other sites I hit up. Once I see more what people are doing with this camera, and find out what it excels at, then I can make an informed opinion about it. Once I have that opinion I can see if it might save me some money for what I want to do.

It may not have X feature or Y functionality, but it may not need it as much as what you are used to.
I am pretty sure I use a flash on my XTi/400D far more than I would on either a 6D or a 5DIII.
This is not just a simple downgrade of a 5DIII, but something also to the side a bit as it adds some new things.

Also, the camera does not matter nearly as much as the lens. Lenses will last longer and give you the better image quality over the camera body. If you do not like the upgrade options for this generation, wait a few years and you might like the upgrade options then. Switching companies and selling all your gear just to buy the same thing made by someone else sounds like a very expensive way to change a body; especially if you might end up doing the same thing 3-6 years down the line when the first company comes out with the next best thing in a camera body.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:27 am 

BleuDragon made an exellent point, regarding lenses. It takes me a while to learn how to best use a lens. Canon makes some excellent lenses that cause envy among Nikon shooters. (The reverse is also true, of course.) Moreover, a Canon can use Nikkor lenses, via adaptor, anyway, whereas the reverse is not true. So, I do not plan to abandon Canon just because they might be a bit behind the technology curve at the moment.

Jiko made an excellent point, regarding controls and handling. It takes a while to learn to handle a camera reflexively, and switching systems will mean thousands of repetitions* before new controls become part of one's conditioned reflexes. It is possible to know more than one camera well, and indeed, I use both Canons and Nikons, but Nikon recently changed the controls on their cameras, so while I can easily shoot with a Nikon D70s or F6, even though my main working cameras are Canon, my wife's Nikon D7000 can drive me to distraction, if I want to change a setting. For me to learn the controls of a D600 would require a serious commitment, and a transition period, during which my ability to act and react quickly would be diminished.

I agree that Canon seems to have feel pressure to announce the 6D a bit earlier than they would have liked, but remaining silent might have caused them to lose some customers to Nikon.

I do not really feel the need to defend the 6D, nor defend Canon. Each of the big two manufacturers has passed the other, over time. Some photographers will switch, and some will remain loyal. Some, like me, wonder what "all the fuss is about."

*Folks who study such things seem to largely agree that takes a minimum of 3500 repetitions for a physical action to become a conditioned reflex, rather than a conscious action.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:36 am 
Site Admin

I agree with HikingMike, I'd recommend waiting until we've had a chance to review final production samples before making any statements.

This reminds me of the D7000 and 60D discussions when they were first announced. Everyone loved the D7000 specs, but slagged the 60D off because it wasn't as feature-packed. Then in actual tests the 60D handled much better in a number of situations.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the 6D ain't even been served-up yet!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

The highest level of imaging quality from Canon and Nikon is expected from their new releases in real life conditions. The rule of thumb (and has been said by Canon, the consumer and media) dictates that the lower megapixel count should prove the 6D to be excellent in low light conditions against its rivals; this is particularly interesting to me.

In my mind it was expected that the 6D would be something less than the great all rounder, the 5D Mk3; something different for the enthusiast. But in Canons UK product press release when they started relating its 'latest' to the 60D, I sighed. As a bit of a 'glass half empty' kinda guy, I thought instantly about the indefinite button feel and the fiddly 'D-Pad' in the middle of the wheel (things that are not evident on my now 6 year old 40D). But then I reflected on the positives of the 60D, and the fact that it had a 'Vari-Angle' screen (something I'd love for my Macro pursuits) and the Wireless flash triggering off the built in flash (great for taking my photos to the next level). So great I thought a Full Frame, partially magnesium bodied 60D, with a 100% viewfinder, because you are paying prices in the region of £1800. But alas, similarities to the 60D amount to button layout and diemensions only.

Then if you relate the 'new' 6D against the D600 (along with previously featured features in the Canon stable), I (and lots of other people) conclude that the 6D is a totally missed opportunity by Canon, regardless of how good the image performance may be.

Canon EOS 6D & 40D w. 24-105mm f4L IS USM + 70-200mm f4L IS USM + 28mm f1.8 USM + 50mm f1.4 USM + 100mm f2.0 USM Canon S95, Canon EOS 300 and Rolleiflex f3.5 TLR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 am 
Want to see images in direct comparison testing. Especially low light noise comparisons. I mean 10-30 second exposures for night photography.

http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/12/the-hi ... -mark-iii/

Want to see this type of testing between the 6D and the D600/D800 before making my decision. I shoot a lot of night work and want the finest results possible. Would be nice to see this at lower ISO settings as well.

I bet some Canon Japan engineers have been embarassed by Nikons offerings. Especially with Nikon saying you can buy it three days after it was announced and Canon saying you can buy it three months after it was announced. Sheer stupidity on their part reeking of desperation in the marketing department.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:19 pm 

I cant be the only one who would buy a 5D II instead, am I? The 5D II is much more ''mature'' to me, even though its high ISO performance may not be as good as the 6D's. But then, what are we talking about? Few months ago the 5D II was the greatest low-light camera out there... :lol:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies