Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Eos 400D Underexposing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:36 pm 
Hi!
I have been having problems with my Canon 400d underexposing so I was wondering if you noticed any similar problems in your tests?
I usually have to add + 1/2-2/3 ec on all my pictures, to make them bright enough?
I've been reading about it and noticed that a lot of other people seem to have had the same problem so I would love to hear if you've had the same problem with it?

Thanks!

Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:59 pm 

I don't have a 400D (I have a Nikon D80) but as long as the camera is consistent then it isn't too much of a problem. You can either do as you have been doing and set the exposure compensation in the camera or you can correct it later via post processing. It is easier to correct an under exposed image than an over exposed one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bubi81, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Many people have found the 400D / XTi appears to underexpose a little, and you can see an interesting example of how it and the Nikon D80 evaluated the same outdoor scene in our D80 review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/page4.shtml

As you can see, the Canon appears to underexpose, although I'd argue the D80 has slightly overexposed.

The perfect result is of course subjective, and as Phil says, if you prefer slightly lighter results, just keep your exposure compensation set to +1/3 or +2/3.

I would however warn you not to judge the result on the screen as the absolute truth - and this applies to ALL digital cameras. The screen brightness may be too bright or dark, or sunlight on the screen may be giving the wrong impression.

When critically judging exposures, always use the histogram facility - you can get this by pressing the Info button during playback on the Canon. This will reveal whether the exposure really is under or over, or in fact technically just right!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:21 pm 
Thank you for your comments!

As I already wrote I've been solving the problem by adding 2/3 ec on almost every picture. I've also been using the histogram to check the pictures.
The problem with this is that I can't use any of the automatic settings since they tend to underexpose. I have a newborn babygirl and as everyone knows you have to be quick when trying to catch the moment with babies so sometimes it would be great to just use the automatic programs!

I was also wondering if you used the exact same camera when testing the 400 d against the Nikon d80 as when you were making the 400d review? It seems like just some of the 400 d´s have this problem and comparing the pictures in these two reviews one looks brighter but maybe it just looks like it when it's next to the Nikon picture that is brighter.

Thanks again for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bubi81, yes I used the same XTi / 400D for my XTi / 400D review, D80 comparison and 10 Megapixel group test articles.

Have you tried using Program mode, P? It's still fully automatic, like the green square mode, but lets you adjust exposure compensation - and leave it at a certain value if you like. You'll need to decide when to pop the flash up, but I personally prefer this flexibility and control, and end up using Program mode for almost all my shots.

Gordon

Post subject: Firmware Update?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:37 am 

Has Canon expressed any view on this subject? If it is generally believed to be a bug rather than a feature would they issue a firmware update if the said bug were to receive sufficient exposure?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:52 pm 
Canon hasn't done anything to solve the problem yet! There is a new firmware available but it doesn't correct the expousure problem! I´m probably going to send it to JAS technik for service and have dem have a look at it and if everything is as it is supposed to be I'll either have to learn to live with it or sell it an buy something else, maybe a nikond40.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:10 pm 
I noticed this in some images, and increased the exposure. That really didn't seem correct either, so I examined a large number of images. It seemed that the highlights were slightly underexposed, and anything below midtones was much underexposed. That indicated a contrast component is needed in the correction.

My final correction was -2 in the contrast in all modes, and +1/3 exposure compensation. That produced images that usually resemble those from my 5D. Images with bright backgrounds are still problematic, but not as much so as before.

Until I started reading this Forum I didn't realize how widespread this problem is. Have any of you taken it to Canon, and what was the response?