Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon Eos Rebel XS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm 
I've had this camera for almost 2 years and today i uploaded my pictures to my computer and put the SD card back in to the slot and it kept saying no card. So i tried another card and it says the same thing. I've searched and searched and to find nothing. I've emailed canon and they said its out of warranty and that i need to either a) send it in to be repaired or b) trade mine in for a credit and buy a new one.

It seems to be so weird to be doing this, I've done the remove the batteries and check the SD card slot and to make sure its not locked, but to no luck it still doesn't work.

Please help please i use my camera everyday to upload pics of sewing projects i do on my blog and my family just can't afford to buy another SLR right now. Any helps will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 am 

Is there an error number?

What constitutes as "nothing" in terms of what you found? I've read quite a few articles about card reading errors with the 450D/1000D as well as solutions such as
  • formatting the card in the camera, which supposedly forces the camera to read the card differently
  • deleting the images then re-inserting the card
  • removing the battery and re-inserting it while the switch is set to ON
  • updating the firmware via the EOS Utility on your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 am 
No error number just says "no card".

Can't format the card inside of the canon because it just says no card when i hit format.

Tried to remove the battery while it was on and then re-inserted it back in, and it says no card still. also tried the normal way of removing the battery twice as stated on the canon help finder.

I've tried 2 other cards and it says the same thing.

Firmware on it is 1.06 the website shows 1.07 but that is for problems with making folders i believe the website said when i checked that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 am 

Even so, have you actually tried updating the firmware regardless?

Unless the details regarding the update explicitly state that it WILL NOT resolve the problem you're experiencing, one can argue that it's worth trying - firmware updates can sometimes have the unintended effect of resolving errors other than those they were made to fix.

Troubleshooting often involves trying unorthodox methods to resolve a problem.

Post subject: Re: Canon Eos Rebel XS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 pm 
Rorschach,

On the firmware topic. Do you know of a way to update the firmware without an SD card? I am experiencing the same issue and while I would like to update it, there is not a published way of updating the firmware if the camera cannot see the card.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 pm 

dlang100 wrote:
Rorschach,

On the firmware topic. Do you know of a way to update the firmware without an SD card? I am experiencing the same issue and while I would like to update it, there is not a published way of updating the firmware if the camera cannot see the card.

Thanks

I'm not aware of one - I'd imagine only Canon's engineers are privy to such methods. Even if you update the firmware through EOS Utility with the camera connected to the computer via USB, you still need an SD card in the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 am 

You could try to reset settings to default.
Probably will not work, but it could not hurt.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am 
try with others SDcard maybe your card already broken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:33 pm 

photomania wrote:
try with others SDcard maybe your card already broken

sewsweetness wrote:
So i tried another card and it says the same thing.

Sonds like the slot is broken. Repairing it is probably more expensive than a used XS. :|

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466