Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 am 
fist, I am sorry for being so late to say thank you .

I think with your advice , I made the right choice , I mean about my walk-around lens choice with the 17-85IS.

I initially did not like it because of the severe distortion , but I realize that it would be corrected in a munite on PS, so in Digital era , this lens is compromised in smart way.

The color is great much better than the kit or my sigma 18-200 stuff.

The excessive CA (like Green Fringe rather than PF)is a problem at wide angle but it is also easily corrected in PP.

Now , I 've got another question coming up as I read your review comparing the EF24-105IS and the 5D comb with the EF-S17-85IS and the 350D combo.

I am not interested in the 5D at all(too bulky) , but I am very interested in the 24-105L and 17-40L.

I am wondering if the 24-105 L would perform significantly better than the 17-85IS in term of resolution and color reproduction, if so I would like to consider getting it in addition to the 17-85Is.

Or I should get the Tamron 17-50 or 17-40L instead since the 17-85's weak point is the wide angle distortion.

do you feel the 24-105Is is much better than the 17-85Is , which I think is a great lens with great usability and versatility as I use it like an EF-S 24-85IS.

Thanks in advance.

PS .I under rated the IS cause of my experience with the Pentax K10D in body SR.

Canon IS really worked , at least 3 stops of advantage is clearly confirmed by comparing it with Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX Macro at 50mm in door shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Derek, I'm glad you like your 17-85mm - it really is a great all-round lens for Canon EF-S bodies like the 400D.

It seems there's quite a few people asking how the 24-105mm would perform on a cropped body like the 400D, so I'll look into doing some tests in the near future... watch this space!

I have already tested the 17-40 L on a cropped body though and you can find the results in our 400D lens upgrade group test article here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

I can't speak for the Tamron 17-50mm though as I haven't tested it.

Gordon