Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: My 5D2 story
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 am 

Well, the old and problematic 5D2 arrived back from the repair shop in the beginning of august, but I didn't want to put it up for sale until this weekend because of some traveling and other things.. So, I didn't to a full test of it until Friday. Well, I can tell you that the repair shop fixed only one of the two problems it had - the crazy metering sensor. The other problem is a strange one which they thought a change of image sensor would fix: a strange vertical pattern that repeats itself every eight pixels on videos and photos shot in live view. I thought it could have something to do with the electronic shutter as it only happens in live view, but I should think the electronic shutter is not used when Silent mode is turned off. The pattern is not equally apparent in each shot either, but it is always there. These shots are the "best" I got (200 x 200 px crop):

Live view:

OVF:

What are your thoughts? Any idea what it is?

Even though this is annoying as hell, I'm in kind of a win-win situation right now - if they cannot fix the problem in their third attempt I have the right to a new product. If they do fix it, the camera is finally back in 100 % working order.