Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:33 pm 

How would you rate a service like a private club party? One of my friend is asking for a photographer so I said i'll do it but she knows that im doing freelance but no idea how would you rate it. Any ideas??

Image Image Image
--------------------------------------------------------
I like simple, I like RAW, I like to learn more :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:57 am 

How many hours? Are you renting equipment? What equipment do you have available to you? What are her expectations?

The length of time will dictate how many shots you take, and your equipment situation will determine whether you are able to handle the light. You said it's a "private club party" so does that mean that it's in a nightclub? If so, do you have fast enough lenses or a flash that you can use to nail your exposures? And what kind of quality/quantity is she looking for? Has she seen your work and is she interested in you because of that, or because you're a friend? What kind of exposure will you get (as this could lead to more work down the road and you'd want to make the best impression)?

Lots of questions, but always good things to think about :)

Also, I think this is in the wrong section, but yea...

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:19 am 

Yeah I guess its in the wrong section, I think its more of a formal slash club party I still have to know the exact place if its like a hotel style venue or club. I have my 580ex II + Gary fong diffuser well my lens isn't that fast as im only using 28-75 tammy but I can probably rent 17-40mm in case theres a group shot or needed. The party is probably going to start around 8pm-ish till midnight so roughly 4 hours of work. I will definitely working on camera Manual Mode and set the Flash on ETTL; she has seen my work and one of them personally asked me because of my work not only because I'm a friend.

So far she hasn't told me about any of her expectations apart from good photos, i will probably give her a best deal of quality&quantity.

The party is on 3rd of April so I still have time to prepare and rent a lens.

Any good recommended price range for this type of event? I was planning of hourly rate but I don't know if she would take that, I kinda mentioned of fixed rate of £120 for the entire party but she suddenly mentioned her 200 guests so I was like yeah we need to talk about this. Since she still isn't sure whether to get a photographer or just use their compact cameras and she still have to ask her parents about hiring a photographer.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:28 pm 

200 guests? Okay, that's a wedding-sized event.

Get her expectations ASAP. Is this a birthday party? Are there going to be important moments during the night that she wants captured? Does she want formal photos? Or is she just looking for someone to grab candids all night? Does she require photos of every guest? Does she expect you to be up and on your feet for all 4 of those hours or are you also attending "as a friend" AKA taking part in the festivities?

When there is money exchanging hands, definitely find out what she wants and get it in writing. It's not that you don't trust each other it's just good to have a formal understanding of what each person expects.

If there are any expectations above "get candids of whatever" throughout the night, I'd suggest no less than £80/hour to pay for your time being there, equipment rental, plus the time spent doing any editing after the fact. And I'd rent the 16-35 f/2.8 over the 17-40 because the 1-stop faster aperture will help your recycle time for your flash and/or let you shoot at a lower ISO. But that's all assuming she wants some kind of structured photography. If it's a candid-only, low-expectation kind of job then you could likely get away with what you're using now and charge her £120 for the night so long as they feed you :) I'd still get it all in writing, just so if mum&dad come wondering where their money went they'd know.

Just my two pence :)

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 pm 

Yeah I will try to talk to her about what she wants from this service, well she invited me to her party and and I asked if there will be any photographer and she said "NO" and if I could cover her party. I don't really know if its like a formal event or its just the dress code. As their like 18s its probably likely a club party, and yes its a birthday party. How about giving her the copies im planning of sticking with CD, so she can just do whatever to her pictures or should I charge those people who would want a portrait picture and want their copies?

Image Image Image