Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buyers Regret
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 pm 

Hi guys,

More of a positve post - really.

Recently I got a second hand, near mint condition 430ex II and it came with a Lumisift soft box and a off camera cable for half the price of a retail 430ex II. Which I thought was great.

To be honest I REALLY REALLY want a 580ex II but I couldnt afford one. the 430 is still a great flash, but I still have a sense of buyers regret. Just to say, if you REALLY want something, then save up for it and get it. Because I needed a flash asap but 580 is my "christmas" gift to myself. So Im not that upset because I still think I scored with a really great buy.

My point is, I also suffered buyers regret when I got the 7D with the 15-85 even though the day before I was about to get the 60D with a 17-40L lens. So I would have been having more regret if I did - the reason, because there was a 5D, and if I got the 5D, theres the 1D and so on... So anyone else had a camera experience where they bought something and immediately after felt like it was the worst thing you have done even though in reality it was a really good choice and a great deal and wasnt really a waste of money.

I suffer from this a lot - sometimes, happening years after I bought a 32" TV that cost $1000 4 years ago but now, 32" is $300 and I say "aww, really?" but then immediately after I say, hang on, I wouldnt HAVE a tv in the first place.

So yea, this "affliction" kinda sucks having, especially consideing the price of the camera gear that is asked of by companies.

Leo's Flickr Page

Post subject: Re: Buyers Regret
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 pm 

You are forgetting that the 580EX II just got replaced by the 600EX-RT.

Also, while at times I also wish I went for the top of the line model, I do recognize that my current flash can still out perform what I can do.
So until such time as I actually need something higher end, I will happily use my 430EX II.

What I have had to do is recognize that while it would be great to have to of the line gear in everything, some of the most fun I have is with stuff that is not as expensive.
If you enjoy it, does it not fulfill the purpose you got it for?

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm 

I drive a Toyota Camry. Should I regret that I didn't wait till I could afford a Bugatti Veyron? (It would have been a very long wait).

I just bought a 5DII. A month later the 5DIII was announced.

In the meantime I have the use of my 5DII which is a beautiful piece of equipment, used by professionals around the world and gifted people who can do far more with it than I will ever achieve.

My suggestion is get on and use what you have. Make great images now. If you aren't, it's not because you don't have a 580EX II.
You may discover you don't really need that upgrade, just like I don't need a Veyron
I'd still love to drive one, just once :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 am 

BleuDragon wrote:
You are forgetting that the 580EX II just got replaced by the 600EX-RT.

And I'm happy I got the 580EX II after having seen the price for the 600EX-RT! At least at the moment.

I know about the "buyer's regret" feeling but I think my long-term plan is quite OK.

I started my "DSLR life" with a Canon EOS 500D + 18-55mm and then I bought some cheap used additional lenses. Sometimes I think "Oh - should have saved that money for something really good" but it wasn't that expensive and it gave me some time to learn. Then I started to look into the future. Now I still "only" have the 500D but added some nice glass like the Canon EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM, the Canon EF 100-400mm L IS USM and the Sigma 12-24mm EX DG HSM. I always chose full frame compatible lenses to avoid regretting those lenses when going full frame.

Then, not such a long time ago, I was thinking about a new flash gun as well as I only had a cheap Nissin Di466 - now I had to choose one as well - and after some fighting in my head I got the 580EX II and I'm happy I did so. I'm sure the 430EX II would have been great as well but buying it would have cost the money I needed to get something even better and I knew that I'd regret it, but that's just a feeling as my head tells me that the 430EX II would have been enough for me.
I still keep the Nissin as more than just one flash can be handy.

I always thought about upgrading the body but my thoughts were like those:
- The EOS 600D is slightly better, payable - but the main improvements are the screen and the video mode.
- The EOS 7D is a better camera, but the image quality isn't really a step up from the 500D. So I'd pay that amount of money for "ergonomics only" (+ speed + weather sealing)
- The 5D II is very good and the image quality IS better it is a bit old and a replacement was to be expected in a reasonable amount of time to wait for it.

Plan for the future:
Lenses: EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM - I'm missing the range and I don't want a compromise like the 28-135mm, although it's not that bad either.
Cameras: My plan is the 5D III. What a great camera! But I'll wait a bit longer until the price falls a bit. I still hope I won't regret having lost all my money when I got to buy that thing. :lol:
Flash guns: I'm happy with my 580EX II but I might get a used 430EX (II) or even a 420EX as a slave in the future.

The 430EX II is a great flash gun and you can really be happy with it - and in the future you might be able to upgrade - for example if the price for the 600EX-RT is getting to the level where the 580EX II can be found nowadays. And then you can still use on your 430.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 am 

I don`t generally suffer buyers regret, build a bridge and get over it. :wink:

I find the 430 sufficient, recently used it on King Parrot in a 25m away. Don`t need more range than that.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:32 am 

Leo wrote:
I suffer from this a lot - sometimes, happening years after I bought a 32" TV that cost $1000 4 years ago but now, 32" is $300 and I say "aww, really?" but then immediately after I say, hang on, I wouldnt HAVE a tv in the first place.

I bought a 7D and a canon 70-200 lens and I haven't regretted it for an instant. I think your "glass is half empty" attitude is rather dumb. You should be enjoying what you have and not regretting what you don't have.

I could have bought a 1D but I got more lenses instead, and a holiday and went on a great camera course. These things all helped me take great photos that I would never have got by just buying the 1D. When the 7D II comes out I wont suddenly become worse at taking photos. In fact the older my 7D gets the better I get at taking photos because I learn to use it better and practice more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 pm 

usernametaken wrote:
Leo wrote:

I bought a 7D and a canon 70-200 lens and I haven't regretted it for an instant. I think your "glass is half empty" attitude is rather dumb. You should be enjoying what you have and not regretting what you don't have.

I think you missed the point of the post - I wasnt talking about glass half empty, Im talking about if people get buyers regret because I KNOW I got my 7D and its great, I love it but I have this niggling voice in the background that makes me sometimes stop and wonder, should I have waited? Should I have gotten the 60D and got the 24-105 IS?

I do not appreciate your comment, buyers regret isnt dumb, its just a feeling people get and I wanted to know if ppl on this forum get it too since we are spending thousands of dollars on this stuff.

I know I'll never be able to afford a 1Dx but I will always look at the 5D and say to myself, hmm, just a few more thousand dollars more. BUT like I said, and I think you missed this point - I immediately go wth, I have a great camera already. (like my TV analogy.) Ive had my 7D for almost 6 months and never regretted it like you think I have - I only say that buyers regret makes me stop and go oh, what if... then I snap out of it and say nah!

But people out there suffer from it big time. I used to sell camera gear and the same customer would buy a 400D, then come back and get a 450D then a year later he wasnt happy and upgraded to a 50D then a week later replace it and get a 5D and so on. He was never happy and always thought he wasnt getting the best deal, or wasnt gettting the best gear etc. I felt sorry for him because I was taking all his money and he actually started wasting money by returning his gear or trading it in for something else. He desperately tried to get us to price match internet stores and we did a few times, and he still wasnt happy with the price. Some people cant be satisfied.

So my point? I wanted to know if anyone has this problem or like me, KNOWS that I have buyers regret but I get over it really fast - Because I got the 430ex II flash and its fawking awesome but I DID have my eye on teh 580 but I could never never justify the price - not yet anyway. but part of me stopped and asked - you should have waited 3 months for the 580.... BUT I have a job soon so I needed a flash quick smart, so its not like I let my regret force my decision but I do think about it.

If you want a better more detailed explanation of my original post so you can understand what I actually meant because you skipped something I said I'll be happy to post again.

Leo's Flickr Page

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 pm 

Same for me with the 300mm 2.8L IS.... the 2nd version released a month later but twice the price xD

I also regretted my purchase for the Sigma 50mm... its just terrible AF and terrible manual focus ring... I should have waited the long enough until I could get the 50mm 1.2L instead or just the 35mm 1.4L

though I have this type of regret when it comes to other stuff more... like computer stuff xD (they get updated soo quickly)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 am 

@ AnderssonPhoto Totally Agree - Computers update so fast, I actually went "awwww" at my computer screen when I finished installing Windows Vista and the TV in the next room was playing one of the first TV commercials for Windows 7

But for me, its not the fact I bought a 7D and a new one is about to be announced or rumours of a Mark2 soon to be released, but it was that stupid illogial niggling feeling that I should have waited - ugh, its annoying because I KNOW its an illogical thought.

BUT getting my camera now meant that I got the best possible deal - and I doubt the new 7D will not be as cheap or be so easy to price match etc.

Leo's Flickr Page

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 pm 

Thanks guys for all the inputs, However, you won't be happy at all if you don't learn how to appreciated what you have.

I am happy with all my gears no matter what the great new comer are, I still can shoot the way i want

Newb: Zoom Telephoto EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS (Image Stabilizer) USM Autofocus Lens, 70-200 f/2.8L II.

Going to sell: All my Canon Gears very soon..
- - - - - - - - ----------
Recently moved to NIKON
Nikon D3X, Pocketwizards, 50mm 1.4G, 85mm 1.2, 24-70mm 2.8, 3 sb-910

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm 

I've had that feeling after buying the 3 items in my signature. Lots of cash, felt a bit crazy for spending it. But then I use them, and I'm happy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:13 am 

I felt that briefly when the 5DIII was announced, not a week after I replaced a stolen 5DII. Then I convinced myself that I don't really need the Mark III, and I really didn't need to spend $1000 more for it. I'm easy to convince. I have a strong “buyer's justification” instead.