Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:28 pm 

hey guys,i think i have some issues with my lenses on my 5dmk2. when i shoot video and zoom using my 17-40 lens,i could hear this "crunching" or rather "rubbing" sound in the audio of my shot. same goes for the 50mm 1.8 when i focus it. is this normal? i didnt use any external mic when i did this. thanks in advance guys! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm 

Totally normal... The 50 is super loud when it autofocuses, and any noises made when zooming or moving the lens elements will be picked up by the internal mic... Even if it doesn't sound loud normally, the sound vibration is going to travel through the lens, body and into the mic even more than if it was an external mic. Think of what you sound like when you plug your ears and try to talk vs what you normally hear.

That said, unless you're filming in a really quiet environment, you shouldn't be hearing the sound of focus movement with the 50 in MF... Make sure if you're turning the focus ring that it's not in AF mode because otherwise that's the sound of the AF mechanism being destroyed lol

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:03 pm 

thanks for the info plymer! im glad that is a normal thing. otherwise ive just missed the replacement period of my lense lol

now i woulnt want that to happen to my nifty fifty :( time to upgrade to 1.4?:))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 am 

Even a USM lens will make noise when focusing - I can hear it on my camera sometimes when I pull the focus ring. Like something breathing in the distance. (probably good for a horror film effect)

personally, I have never seen a good film that used an internal mic EVER. I have a pro grade camera with an onboard mic thats separated from any other part of the camera, but I STILL attach an external mic with all the trimmings to make sure it doesnt pick up Camera handeling, mic bounce and worse, noises YOU and the camera make. lol.

Otherwise you can get a wireless lapel mic - I use it on the groom to get the vows in a wedding etc.

Leo

Leo's Flickr Page