Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 am 
Hello there!

Im looking to purchase pretty much the cheapest DSLR camera I can get my hands on, but as good as I can get for near $450. I dont know anything about these cameras, as im getting it for my daughter.. so please let me know if this will be a good buy!

Canon EOS Rebel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J3Y9U6

Canon Rebel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CBKJGG

What one is a better bang for my buck?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 am 

Looking at the cameras you posted, I would also like to recomend you look at the Pentax KR and other similar models - who knows maybe your daughter might like the feel and handling of the cameras.

Remember, most of the decision doesnt come from specs and price it also comes from the feel and usability of the item - Thats why we take test drives of cars. I didnt buy an entry level canon when I started becuse I preffered the feel of the Olympus, but now I can afford a higher level canon I bought it because it was my original choice of feel and useability.

Here are some things to think about
- the Rebel T3 shoots photos and video - and its a newer version
- the cheaper one, the XS shoots only photos
- the lenses they come with are the same so image quality would be almost hard to tell the differnce between the two - yes, 2Megapixels might be great but it means nothing if you arent going to make enlargements

So heres some questions to ask yourself

1) Is this going to be your daughter's first camrea and/or first DSLR?
2) Is she studying photography?
3) Is this a camera style she has been asking for - if so does she like taking movies or photos or both?
4) (this is just because I work with teens a lot) Does she want one because her friends have one? If yes, will getting her a DSLR that does NOT shoot video cause social issues for her?
5) Has your daughter held these cameras yet? If its a gift take her shopping then just stop at a store and ask to see some cameras and hold them yourself then pass it to her and ask her opinion as if you were getting for yourself.

So once you asked yourself that - you can make a stronger decision - If its only photos that she wants to take and is starting to learn photography, then by all means, save some money, spend the money you save on the memory card, the bag and a UV filter for the lens.

If your daughter is trying to get in with the crowd then I guess the newer one is good too but ONLY if you want to spend more money on the three upgrades - newer, 2MP and video.

If your daughter is good at photography and wants to get better and just doesnt ahve a DLSR, then by all means get her the best and just cut her allowance in half for it :P hehehe, kidding, but its something to think about.

Also remember, if shes learning photography or good at it already and needs a DSLR, then Id also look at the prices of the lenses and other accessories like flahses to see the longevity of the camera. Dont be scared to stick to the two you are looking at, they look like decent buys just depends on what your daughter will be using for. More or less Id choose the cheapre version for 90% of the answers you might have, and unless shes already really good or learning Id get the newer one.

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 am 
Thankyou so much Leo! That was more information than I was looking for and MORE than helpful. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Amy, you may also find my guide here useful:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 am 
Quote:
Hi Amy, you may also find my guide here useful:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

This is also fantastic, im going to have her look at the information both you and Leo gave me, and we have a few months to kill before she really needs it, so we got some time to look at our choices :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:19 am 
Something to consider in the mix is what camera makes her friends or other places she may be able to borrow kit from have.

One of the reasons I went for Canon when I made my DSLR decision early last year was that many of my friends have Canon and this means we can swap lenses if needed and pool flash units if needed. This was just a lucky choice/consideration but here have been several instances where this has been more than invaluable in only a short space of time.

Also worth bearing in mind that Canon and Nikon tend to be the choice of the pro's, this means that the camera equipment hire outlets tend to support them where they dont support others. I recently hired a lens for the first time for a specific project. If I'd plumped with sony or one of the other non Canikon brands I wouldnt have this option open to me.