Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:35 am 
Hi,

I had over 1600 images in my 16GB SD card on the Canon 550D. Most of them were large fine JPEGs with some RAW files too. However, while coping the files from the card to the computer (with MS Windows 7) there was an error. The result is strange:

The starting and ending file numbers were copied fine. However, some pictures were missing. When I put the card back in the camera, I got only 699 pictures in playback. There are two new files on the card with a *JP.G extension. One is 1.2GB and the other is 1.94GB. I believe that somehow the missing files would be in these files somehow. However, the date modified of the files is 2055 and 2056 respectively.

I think there is something seriously wrong. There is no way to copy these files on the PC as I get an error message that says the files cannot be found. But again the remaining space on the card is the same as it was when it had all the images.

I have lost a chunk of pictures from s long awaited trip. Please suggest how to go about it....

Thanks,
Jinay.

Post subject: Try this
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 am 

Hello Jinay.

Sorry to hear about your photos.
However all is not lost, not yet anyway.
I have successfully used http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva on an SD card before and it worked pretty well.
It's a freeware version so no support is given to that version.
Hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:55 pm 

If all else fails, see a photo developer store who can salvage your files. All hope is not lost yet

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 pm 
Had any luck?
I managed to recover a whole SD card with an app given away free with my Sandisk card. I'm sure freeware ones work just as well.
I always download all my images as soon as I can these days, just in case something like this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am 

Hi Jinay,

I've used Lexar's Image Rescue software in the past with a lot of success. You can buy it at

http://www.lexar.com//products/lexar-im ... egory=2459

If you want to first find out if it will work for your corrupted card (it will work with any media) there's a free trial you can download. This will tell you which images can be recovered, but you can only retrieve one of them - to get the rest you'll need a licensed version. Rather than pay for it (it's 33.99USD) if you buy a Lexar card you can get a free copy.

Good luck!

Ken