Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 am 

1 hr with my new T3i and I'm already loving the camera with the 18-55mm kit lens. I know there is a LOT I need to learn but my wife has already asked whether or not I can zoom in and take good video from afar. Given I spent most of my budget on the camera I am hoping those with more experience can confirm that the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens will be the best bang for the buck, not to mention a bit lighter than some of the 70-300mm offerings from other makes.

I found a few lightly used 55-250's on the normal sites (eBay/Craigslist/my local paper) and believe I might be able to score one for under $150, perhaps even as low as $125.

Again, I've read enough online regarding this lens and what it can do for general photos. I feel those reviews show it makes it a great starter lens for me. However since I'm mostly going to use this for video, should I look elsewhere? For reference I had/have a standard def 3CCD MiniDV cam that worked great for many years with a 10x zoom (Panasonic PV-GS250). Lack of time for a pro cleaning and cost to send for repair was a good justification to finally get a DSLR w/ video.

Thanks again to everyone here. I have learned a lot here and already have plans to put some of the better tips on laminated business cards to carry with my camera.

-Kirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:43 pm 

With the lens having IS, you don't have to worry (as much) about the Cloverfield effect, especially when you're fully zoomed in.

However, as the lens doesn't have USM, focusing may take longer upon half-depressing the shutter button. Of course, that may not matter if your subject doesn't fall out of your DoF constantly or if you edit your videos after.