Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 pm 

According to Chuck Westfall (Canon USA), the G1X has lower noise than the 7D (and the other 18MP sensored cameras of that generation) because of the new Digic V processor.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm 

Jiko, that bit of information increases my interest in the G1X! Thanks!

The 7D can be a quite noisy beast.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 pm 
An interesting concept, but not quite what I find appealing as a owner of 2-dslr and lenses, plus a G11 and assorted pocket cams. I don't find ultra low light capability as the most important factor, nor are 14 megapixels really needed. In short, I would have preferred a smaller (Nikon ILC size) sensor with very good IQ to ISO 800, a longer faster lens like the old Pro 1, with manual zoom, and a top notch EFV, like the Pro 1 improved. The OF of my G11 is nearly useless due to poor accuracy and no info. As a "baby boomer" with major vision corrections, LCD only is only suitable on a micro- pocket cam. No real interest in ILC cameras either at this time: new system, new lenses, etc, mostly LCD only, expensive, totally exposed sensor will be an issue depending on use conditions and care...has been with d-slr's. However, I am sure some people will love this camera, but I would have preferred an updating of the old compact Pro 1. No device is perfect for everyone.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 am 

In the high ISO/noise/bokeh department, I would guess that the X10's 1/2.3" sensor (CF=5.6) would suffer significantly when compared to the G1X's 1.5" sensor (CF=1.85). Even after taking into account that the X10's f2.0-2.8 lens is 1-2 stops faster. And that's before considering any gains that DIGIC V might bring (which as noted above, are reportedly significant).

But I still think the G1X is priced too high - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 am 

Well - it' just oing to be released - I guess the price will fall, too.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 am 

yes definitely interesting
a zoom starting at 24 equivalent would be nice :D

If its focusing system is faster than the S95, it will be a good thing. I also find the delay in the S95 annyoing at times, ie I see the action on the backscreen and push the shutter and by the time the photo is taken its too late. It needs to be fast and responsive.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 am 

For me, the G1 X will not be the right choice. The lens not being wide enough and the 4:3 ratio of the sensor. I would have liked to see a 24mm equivalent in the wide end if not wider and then compromise the tele end. f/1.8 or 2.0 up to and including 50mm focal length as well. The 4:3 ratio of the sensor will just be a source of frustration as it is too square. Having to shoot with less resolution to get a wider frame is just not something I am interested in. I know that it's more or less the standard for point and shoots but that is also a part of the reason why I have held off buying a compact camera.

I have been dreaming about a somewhat pocketable camera to take with me instead of my DSLR (I find that it is too cumbersome to take with me in everyday life as it is quite big and heavy - 1DMKII) and I had hoped that the Canon would maybe be the right camera for me. I have been very interested in the Fuji X100 as it was the only "affordable" option out there with a large enough sensor in a small enough housing for my taste.

There are of course MFT systems but the sensors of MFT are too small for my liking because of their relative poor high ISO performance. I like to shoot with natural lighting only and therefore rely on high ISO/large aperture. Thus I have become quite addicted to shallow depth of field which the Fuji would be able to satisfy with it's f/2.0 along with great ISO performance. The f/2.8 of the G1 X might not be too bad, but it doesn't make me want to buy the camera.

Another thing I am not liking so much is the design, but then again, I think the X100 looks great - especially with it's viewfinder. There, the G1 X also let me down a bit.

All in all I guess I was hoping that Canon would have made a Fuji clone just with the option of interchangeable lenses and maybe even an FF sensor. Perhaps even making it a real rangefinder with the option of an EVF like the Fuji one. That's a camera I wouldn't mind spending $3000 on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm 
Whilst I think that that is interesting there is no point really as you could buy the Fuji X100 ... perfect ...

But this is unique. 24mm wide would have been good for me ...but otherwise great. Need to feel one in my hand!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 pm 
Hi! I'm hailing from Athens, Greece and this is my first post, although I've been a fan of the site for quite long.
I own a G11 since Nov. '09 which has served me well (selling points: flipscreen, build quality, battery life, versatile lens, manual controls). The inherent lack of a shallow depth of field rarely bothers me but the AF system has failed me more than once (too slow and inaccurate) plus low light performance beyond ISO 400 is poor. I never cared for a DSLR (portability issues made me sell my D80 which spent most of the time locked away) and I still fail to see the point behind the ILCs (with zoom lenses on they are still too large for a coat pocket plus they look really ugly with the damn things protruding from the ever-shrinking bodies). So, now with the much larger sensor promising shallow depth of field and improved picture quality most of the G family issues seem to be adressed, save for the max frame rate which is very low (processor issues?). The need for an extra lens cap could also prove annoying (used to misplace them all the time with my old cameras). Provided the AF system supports the lens-sensor, I think it's the right move for Canon, a premium compact with a large sensor and DSLR picture quality (but with a versatile lens unlike Fuji's X100) makes much more sense to me than just another ILC rubbing shoulders with what's already out there. (But I think I'll wait for the G2X)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 pm 

deafburglar wrote:
(But I think I'll wait for the G2X)
The G1X isn't even released yet :lol: - you might wait until 2014 for a newer version.

Lens cap... well - I like the solution of the Poweshot G1 (without the X) - cap attached to a strap.
Frame rate... I guess they want to have a reson for people to buy a DSLR - even if there is a compact camera now that has a better ISO performance than the modern APS-C DSLRs and a brighter lens than most kit lenses on DSLRs. :lol:

Post subject: Might be the one
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:17 am 

I've been researching the new Mirrorless cameras for some time and although the G1X has a fixed lens, it appeals to me a lot. I already have a full DSLR system but just need a small travel camera. Let's hope the IQ meets my expectations.

Nikon system

Post subject: Not quite what I wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 am 

The G1x is not what I was wishing for. As it is, it doesn't fit in my system of P&S. It's not long enough, for my needs, so what do you pair it with?

What I really wanted was a modern version of my old Pro 1. Modernizing the Pro 1 would mean:
- adding IS
- a 12 MP 2/3" sensor with all the latest tricks
- a high resolution EVF with a fast (at least 120 Hz) refresh rate
- DIGIC V processor with chromatic aberration removal
- 3" LCD that is fully articulated
- a version of the original Pro 1 lens (28-200 mm f/2.4-3.5 L series) with nano coatings.
- SD cards instead of CF
- a newer, lighter, more compact battery
- a hot shoe
- a pop up flash with GN =12 (meters) and hopefully that can act as the commander for off camera wireless control

A camera like that should be capable of low noise at ISO 800 and acceptable levels at higher ISO.

The original Pro 1 got knocked for high noise at ISO 400. but the ISO was very conservatively rated and was actually 640 at a set 400. With the advancements in processors and sensors since the Pro 1, I'd expect low enough noise at ISO 800 for a high quality borderless 8.5" x 11" print. Several 1/2.33" sensor P&S cameras already are close to that standard.

When added up, the camera described above would be an ideal travel camera for the enthusiast. And that is what I was wishing for.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:29 am 

tombell1 wrote:
...there is no point really as you could buy the Fuji X100 ...

Not for the same amount of money, you couldn't! And you'd be locked into a single focal length with the X100.

Getting back on topic:

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-135 ... ue-12.html

Looks to be about what I expected - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am 

Hi folks,

It may be an advertorial but the video featuring "Canon Ambassador, and top photojournalist, Gary Knight (VII)" which you can view here (just click on the arrow on the image) is well worth a look.

I think my days of shooting with my G10 may be numbered as soon as I can save a few pennies as I couldn't care less about burst mode. Nice to have a built in ND filter but if only they could have included a built-in (retractable) motorised polariser instead. Oh well, there's always something else on the wish-list... :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Pro1 upgrade instead
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 am 
The previous post about an upgrade to the old Pro1 mirrors my thoughts exactly. If Canon had provided this camera, I would be saving my $$ for a great compact travel camera. I don't really understand all this concern about low noise at ISO 3200+. I rarely need this capability but I do need more zoom range, and a good EFV or OFV with info. I would also like manual zoom. The Pro1 was pretty good, but my G11 is frustrating...small lever and hard to control precisely with zooming back and forth to hit the right spot. My old Panny FZ8 superzoom is much easier to control. I also have an old Kodak P880 with a manual zoom 24-140mm lens. Love it compared to the G11 for zoom control. Just my .02

Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next