Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 am 
I was wondering if i should buy this camera? What do you think?? Canon Rebel t3i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:41 am 

Welcome to Camera Labs, and although the T3i is a nice choice, you should really check out the reviews first.

Also when asking for advice on a camera etc, you should let us know what you plan on shooting, what you plan on using the camera for mostly, is it family portraits, holidays, landscapes or just a hobby?

If you know what you plan on shooting etc and all that - the kind ppl on these forums can deffinately help you decide and provide alternatives if you havent got your eyes set on a camera model yet.

please reffer to Gordans fantastic review of the camera here http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T3i_600D_vs_Nikon_D5100_comparison/

Its hard to tell anyone if a camera is good or not if its not right FOR YOU. Every camera is individual. It might have all the specs and features you want and need but if it feels horrible, if its too light or too heavy, you wont like using it in the long run.

To be honest, once you know
1) what you want to shoot and what the camera is for
2) what features are ESSENTIAL and a MUST (having 10 frames a second is great but pointless if you never shoot sports etc)
3) How each camera FEELS IN THE HAND and compare with as many differnt cameras.

Good Luck

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

I agree with Leo.

For anybody to say Camera X, Y or Z will be absolutely perfect for you without knowing your requirements and tastes is pretty arrogant and possibly misleading.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:11 pm 
I am new to the camera world this will be my first camera dslr. I have had many point and shoot cameras.
My main focus is to pictures of my kids.
Also quality and speed is a need also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm 

Setting aside the feel in your hands for now, the 600D and its contemporaries would be up to the job but when in general with DSLRs image quality is dictated more by the lens you're using than the body.

Post subject: Purchase this also
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:34 pm 
55-250mm lenses. I also bought this lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:21 pm 

From what I've heard, it's a competent lens offering good bang for your buck but are you planning on taking photos of your kids from a distance?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:53 pm 
I bought the bundle which included the larger lens with the smaller one for close ups.

Post subject: Better camera ?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:55 pm 
Is there a better camera for the money than the t3i or is this a good bang for the buck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:33 pm 

"Better" is a highly subjective term in that context and anybody who exhaustively says "yes" or "no" probably has a self-serving interest in their answer, not necessarily any interest in whether it's right for you or not.

If you round up the 600D and its alternatives from Nikon, Sony and Pentax, each one of them has its advantages and disadvantages, both objective and subjective though many will argue that some of the objective benefits are marginal in the real world.

I hate to sound on the fence and indecisive but I doubt anybody here is absolutely qualified other than you to decide what is best for you. What you need to decide is which one's benefits and disadvantages suit you best and a pretty good way to do that is to visit a photography or CE store and ask for a hands-on demonstration of the camera(s) - you'd be surprised how quickly you may decide which you prefer after handling and using them. No self-respecting store should deny you the opportunity considering that it's a lot of money they'd be relieving you of.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 pm 
Code:
 that makes since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:57 am 

from my personal experience, I have been shooting film on an SLR since 1998 (I was 13 years old) and only recently bought my first DSLR about 2 years ago then moved to Canon just recently.

The advice of going out and holding a camera and getting a demonstration of it is essential. I held the camera I thought I wanted to get at the time 3 years ago and thought, no, screw digital for now, I'll stick with film and my gear.... 1 year later I couldnt keep up with other shooters so I bought my first one.

So yes, hold a camera, see how the features and function work, then ask to compare it to something else withing your budget until you KNOW you found the right one.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 am 

If you are asking, then you are probably buying your first digital SLR. I think that it is best to start off with a consumer level body (eg T3i), as it is playing it safe. Once you have gained the experience and knowledge, you will find decision making easier, and know more along of lines of what you require and what you want to achieve.

When I was new to it, I was shooting in full auto mode, expecting a lot from it, and wanting "all the accessories". My opinions have changed, and having listened to various people, my attitude has also changed.

The brand you buy will usually depend on
The cosmetic layout of controls and the style of the body
The accessories available

Although none of this matters much in terms of the final out images, I can tell you from experience that how the camera looks and how it i laid out with make of break the sale for you.

Nikon have a better flash system, one that has physical controls on, but I'm in no rush to change brands because of it. I am slightly nervous of Canon's new styling on the consumer cameras, as the buttons are becoming odd shapes, and have thought that I may move to Nikon, should it annoy me at the point of upgrade.

Cosmetics is everything when you use it, just like cars.

Post subject: Good Point!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:51 pm 
I like the feel and easy of the t31 so maybe I will give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 pm 

While the camera is useful as something to hold, in order to get the shots you want, you will want to be more concerned with lenses than the camera body.

When you are talking about speed of the lens, you could mean the focus speed or how much light is being let in.

Most people who are new to SLRs, or photography in general, refer to speed as focus speed. After you have learned more about photography, people generally refer to speed as how much light is being let in. The more light that is let into the lens, the lower the number to the right of the f/ mark is. Also, the more blurred the background can get. Though speed can also refer to a camera's speed as continuous shooting mode rated at Xfps; where Xfps means X frames per second. So if this read 3fps, you will be able to take 3 pictures per second at it's fastest setting.

If you are taking pictures of fast moving kids, and are leaning towards a Canon system, I would recommend getting a lens with USM. USM means that the focus speed will be quieter and, generally, quicker than lenses without USM.

One of the best general purpose, beginner, lenses on the market right now is the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
Though if that stretches your budget a little too much, you might be able to find a good deal on a used Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM.

While the default kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens can get you some good pictures, it doesn't focus as fast as the ones I mentioned earlier. If your subjects are still, this would not matter as much. That said, getting this lens with your camera might be more advantageous if you wanted to just learn more about photography before you go out and get a different lens in the future.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next