Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FF sensor and new lens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:26 pm 

As I value everyones views and opinions here I wondered if you guys could give some advice on the purchase of a FF body and a new lens I plan to make pretty soon.

At the moment I have a 550D with some basic lenses.
I want to upgrade to full frame but can't decide on which one. Having read some reviews on the 5D MK II i'm not so sure I want that model. As some reviewers are not satisfied with some of the functions and rumour of the MK III soon. Should I wait for the new MK III or are there any alternatives within my price range?
I have about £1500 to spend on a body. I am not at all interested in being able to take movies from a DSLR so is there a body available that doesn't have this function.

I also want to purchase a good lens.
The lens must work with my 550D until I can upgrade to FF body.
What do you think of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (either IS or non IS) ?

Would I be able to use this lens on my 550D and how would the match between a new FF body be with this lens.
I don't do sport photography or fast action mainly landscape, portrait etc.

Any help from you guys greatly appreciated and as always respected.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm 

If you want to get a new affordable full frame Canon body now, 5D2 is the only option. The only other Canon option would be and older used body like the 5D classic, but if you don't think the 5D2 is up to it, the classic wont either. It is much cheaper though. If you want different high end features, maybe look at the 1Ds mk2 although you'd get a much older sensor.

The 70-200 lenses will be fine on the 550D as well as full frame bodies.

Going back a step, why do you want to go full frame? In my opinion you should only do so if you have reached the limits of what the crop sensor can do with lenses. Are there other lens options that may give you better capability to do what you want?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:04 pm 

Thanks for reply popo.
I want to go FF purely for image quality although I have never tried an expensive L series lens on my 550D and as everyone says it's the glass that's more important than body. I want to send some materials to various companies and so the highest possible quality within my budget is desirable. (£2000-£2250 for body and lens)

In reply to your other Q about lenses the truth is I don't know what would be best lens (or body for that matter) as I am fairly new to photography. I do mostly landscape, architecture, nature and portraits and read some good reviews on the 70-200 lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 pm 

dalem wrote:
everyone says it's the glass that's more important than body.

Indeed. I still have my 500D and added some nice glass like the 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM, the 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM and a 50mm 1.8 :D
I also added a Speedlite 580EX II, which really makes composing some images easier.

Example for 580EX II: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a ... directlink (very old 300D + cheap but good 50mm 1.8 II + 580EX II)

Examples for 100mm 2.8L Macro: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/u ... directlink

Examples for 100-400mm: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/A ... directlink

All shot with crop frame sensors and good lenses. Of course even I'd prefer a full frame camera but I always have to decide whether I'd get a new camera or a new lens and until now I chose the lenses and were happy with it. After the next lens (I always bought those who are full frame compatible) I have the lens set I want and so I can save my money for a full frame camera in order to get the last bit of quality. :D
Crop frame cameras can be very nice for the extra reach in nature photography.

The 70-200mm f4 is a great lens in terms of sharpness, personally I'd go for the IS version because of the IS, wich can never be wrong, and the weather sealing.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Last edited by Jiko on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm 

Thank you Jiko for the help, advice and sample pics.

As a matter of interest, I was just out driving when I passed a 'Bestbuys' store near our local shopping center when I saw a 'Closing down sign' with everything 25% discount. Popped inside and they have one 5D MK II brand new for £1200. :)

I have never been so tempted in all my life as it was about £300 cheaper than Amazon.

But something told me to wait until new year and I didn't buy it. They also had a lot of Canon lenses but not the one I want.

If you have a BestBuys near you it might be worth a visit to see what bargains they have.

Anyway back to the Lens I will probably go for the IS version and use it on my 550D until it's time to buy a FF.

Thanks for reply.