Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:04 pm 

I don't think you can even compare the C300 - the 1D and the 5D series are first and foremost for photography - the C300 is not.

I can't say I'm surprised a 5D III hasn't been announced yet given how tight-lipped Canon tends to be. I'd only be surprised if there is no announcement 4-6 months before the Olympics.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:39 am 

My worry for Canon is that they are spreading their R&D too thin, now that they are developing dedicated EOS movie cameras too. The same guy that was in charge of the 5D2 was in charge of the C300 (i read this somewhere but cannot seem to find where). Maybe that is the reason they have taken so long to release their new 5D3.

Honestly this could be a real problem. I would hate it if they did not focus enough attention on their core photographic customers. c300 released in Jan, 1DX released in March. With the Olympics coming I would have thought they would try to get the 1DX out the door ASAP. The c300 has absolutely no place in a sporting event.

The c300 looks like a nice camera, but I have absolutely no interest in video. Perhaps with all this attention on video a gap in the market will eventually open up for a real camera that has all R&D focused on taking photos, not adding useless (to me) video functionality.

No doubt the 5D3 is going to be choc-a-bloc with video functionality for those budding film makers who cannot afford the 20k price tag of the C300. Instead they should try and address some of the issue that really need attention with the 5D2, mostly the focus points and focusing in general IMO. Could also do with better bracketing (though they could easily add this, so not really a development issue, rather a ‘what functionality to include for the price’ sales issue.

I wish there was a standard lens mount so that I could simply just swap bodies when another manufacturer releases something that is more in line with my requirements. That said, I am seriously happy with the 1DX specs. For my needs it is perfect (if the ISO is as good as they say). I can imagine though that for some photographers, the resolution is too low, especially for studio photography. Plus the lower max shutter speed for the flash is pretty poor. No good when using flash outdoors and you want some nice bokeh to go with the shot. A high speed electronic shutter would have been great for flash photography.

Still, I am also looking for a better, smaller format DSLR for walkabout. The 1D format is too large to be walking around with all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:02 pm 
if the 5D III will not be a complete technical redesign,then it will not even touch a D700 successor in terms of general performance. the AF is not the only old feature that Canon must urgently replace. I hope megapixels & advanced video mode are not what Canon thinks that pros on a budget need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 pm 

I am not sure they need a complete redesign. Perhaps a new sensor with increased dynamic range and higher ISO, along with the afore mentioned better AF and bracketing would be enough for me. Not bothered if they increase the MP count or not.

I just really worry they will forget that the core user of the camera is a photographer, not a film maker. Though of course, that is just an uneducated guess, I have no idea how many people buy this camera to shoot film instead of for photography reasons. I hope it is a small percentage; otherwise Canon will for sure focus on video functionality. It seems to be that a lot of people think this camera is a success due to the video functionality. I wonder if that is actually true? I certainly did not buy it for that and I am sure a lot of other people care less about video too. I bought it because it was an affordable FF camera with a good lens range. I hope the next camera is a worthy successor and not a video camera in DSLR clothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm 

To me the main issue with getting a 5D2 replacement as soon as possible is the 7D. The 7D has been out for some time now and with better functionality than the 5D2. The technology is already out there for a better 5D2, and has been for a couple of years now. It really is about time a 5D3 was brought out just for that reason alone.

Generally the 5D2 would be placed above the 7D in the Canon range. The 5D with its full frame sensor should be at least as good as the 7D in functionality. It isn't. In fact my 40D is still up there with the 7D in picture quality ability and that is really old now!

Personally I can not understand why Canon are faffing around with the C300. A video camera should be made as a video camera not as a stills camera capable of quality video! I agree with DP-PARIS. Although I do like video I use a dedicated video camera for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:25 pm 

Hi folks,

I'm guessing that Canon is plenty big enough to develop its new EOS Cinema line as well as do the other stuff. On their own admission they started the project shortly after the 5D2 was released and when you look at the DSLRs they've released since then they have done pretty well.

Back to the 5D2 successor, I think I went on record before the 5D2 was released as thinking that 18 MP was plenty for such a camera and having owned one for three years I personally have not felt limited by the 21 MP. I'd actually have no problem with the 5D3 having 18 MP and with the 1D X sensor having precisely that pixel count it seems to me Canon can save itself a bundle of R&D expenditure by essentially reusing that sensor, albeit with less read channels and a single DIGIC 5 to run it. It would be nice to see the 1D X AF/AE system in a 5D3 but I won't hold my breath on that one. :lol:

Maybe my speculation in another thread of a 54 MP DSLR, based on the "pre-announcement" that accompanied the C300, is pure fantasy: that remains to be seen. It'd certainly be fun if it came true, as well as being a poke in the eyes of both Nikon and Sony, but whether there's a market for such a camera is way above my pay grade! :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:28 am 

I'm just thinking about the size of a single 54MP RAW file :D
My EOS 500D with it's 15MP has file sizes of 15-20MB so a single 54MP RAW file might have 55-70MB! Time for a 64GB or even 128GB card!

But 27MP are possible, I guess. :roll:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466