Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, a 35x super-zoom camera with 1080p video and 10.3fps shooting.

See my Canon PowerShot SX40 HS review for full details and a comparison with the Sony HX100V and Panasonic FZ150!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 am 

Really, Canon? ANOTHER Powershot?

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Come on Evan, this is the replacement to one of their most popular and successful models! Of course they're going to do a new one every year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 am 
Releasing more and more compacts is how they make the money to develop the higher end bodies and lenses, pushing up the standard of all companies DSLRs through competition, thus a good thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 pm 

I still have the SX-10 IS (or at least I hope so. I gave it to a friend of mine who is in Iran at the moment.) and I'm very happy with it. The SX 20 IS seemed more like a downgrade to me having more MP on the same sensor and losing the "very fine" .jpg compression. Still the difference wasn't too big.

The SX-30 IS was pretty impressive and really handy with it's 35x zoom range but I already had a DSLR that time. :lol: And I didn't like it not taking AA batteries any more (which was one of the main reasons for me getting the SX-10 IS). AND having a 14MP sensor.

The difference between the SX-30 IS and the SX-40 HS isn't that big but at least the sensor is going in the right direction. I'd still prefer AA batteries. eneloops win. :lol:

I think that camera is really impressive and a lot of fun.
Will I buy it? No. I need my money for a better DSLR. Maybe a used one in a few years or maybe the SX-50 or SX-60... :lol: Still it's probably the most exciting Powershot there is at the moment. At least in my opinion. The only thing I'm missing is RAW.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 pm 

I don't know where Canon makes most of its funds, their DSLRs or their compacts. I guess if they make most of their money from the compacts, it may be appropriate to release a new model annually, but I personally don't like the strategy. Both Nikon and Canon are behind on some of their DSLRs, like the D700 or the 5D Mk. II. I'm sure that most of us would've rather seen some DSLR refreshes, but like most companies they strive to make the most money, and that's their first priority.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:11 pm 
Gordon - Many thanks, been waiting for this! Now - for Internet's prime Main-Review of it.....!

Jiko - Another SX10-er here. Good to see that the trend towards "daft" sensor-counts in P&S devices is retreating a bit.

Not too sure about the change to CMOS (like the SX10-era SX1) with the size reduction, though.

My 10Mpix SX10 still does better walk-around JPEGs (at SuperFine) than does my 10Mpix BSI-CMOS Fuji HS10. The Fuji needs its RAW mode to beat it.

I bought the HS10 partly to get RAW, partly to get Fast Continuous, to complement the few things the SX10 doesn't do.

With firmware 1.02 the HS10 does 12.5fps Continuous for 7 frames, JPEG - 5fps RAW or RAW+JPEG.

Would have been nice to see RAW - maybe 7fps RAW and RAW+JPEG - with the SX40, though.

The XS40's slightly slower JPEG Continuous rate wouldn't make any difference to me - I tend to use the 7fps JPEG setting, or 5fps JPEG or RAW, anyway.

With the continuation of the SX30's little Li-Ion power-pack - not really a good idea for power-hungry P&S devices - in the SX40, that's a real shame...

Surely Canon designers are at least as competent as those at Pentax - where entry-level DSLRs have been 4 x AA since the K200D - through to the K-R - which has the option of a little power-pack for the more "Pro" users or for the usual/average users, 4 x AAs in an optional holder - giving over twice as many shots... (With 4 x AA Lithiums, 4 times as many as the power-pack.)

If Canon wants us - the myriad of SX10-lovers still out here - to update our Bridge-Zooms - at least an "Optionable" 4 x AA holder should be available. It's not as if the SX30-SX40 are "physically smaller" than a Pentax K-R - and the few grams the little Li-Ion saves in an over-600-gram camera wouldn't be noticed by most...

Nope - the Li-Ions are just a "trendy style" - like the missing-EVFs - from the tiny to micro size mid to low-end P&S cameras to make them "smaller and trendier" - like mobile phones...

Put an SX30 beside an SX10/20 - and see "how much tinier" the SX30 handgrip is... Well - isn't.... Even if some want to pay extra to get far fewer shots with a Li-Ion - and ensure that, on a trip - once the Li-Ion and spare are flat - the camera is useless, many of us would like at least the option of a 4 x AA holder that'll still fit easily into the SX30-etc's nice big handgrip...!

Of course - with the SX50 - to really "save size and weight" - they could "trendise" (remove) the EVF... And copy that lovely non-selling Olympus No-EVF Bridge-Zoom... Or maybe remove that big-bulky-heavy lens - but micro-4/3's been done before, too... :shock:

Interesting to see that Canon hasn't gone to "40x" with the SX40 lens - if only to get ahead of Nikon's 36x... Perhaps realising that any of the Ultra-Zooms - over 26x - are already a challenge to most users at full zoom or close to it - as they're so sensitive to movement or even tripod vibes...

But - that 10fps Continuous will change the way the SX40 is used - particularly if the CMOS allows good lower-light high shutter-speeds along with it, for moving targets. Having Panning IS mode (which the HS10 doesn't have) - to go with that, will make a very usable combination.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 pm 

Great preview, Gordon. One feature that I didn't see, though I might have missed it, is that the SX40 HS can record video much longer. According to the specifications on Canon's website, you can record up to 3 hours of SD, or 1 hour 25 minutes of 720p, or 1 hour of 1080p. There are only a few Canon cameras that can record video longer than about half an hour. Importantly, the higher end/relatively recent DSLRs with video (5DII, 7D, 60D, T3i) CAN'T.

The graduate students in my department have weekly lectures that we'd like to record. But they last about an hour each, and it's frustrating having a 7D with all kinds of technology stuffed into it that can't do this one simple thing. To be more precise, it's frustrating that this capability is simply turned off on the higher end cameras. Even the SX130 IS, at approximately 1/8 the price of the 7D, can record up to 3 hours of SD video. And the much older 5DII can record longer video via Magic Lantern. So it's not a technical limitation. (Unfortunately, there's no Magic Lantern for the 7D.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:36 am 
Hello,

This is my first post on CameraLabs, although I've long been a reader, who really appreciates the quality resources on this website.

I am looking to replace my old Canon A610 with a mega-zoom, and after a careful comparison of the current models available, I was almost ready to give up the thought of sacrificing image quality to such a degree just to have a great tele. However, I read about the SX40 and the Panasonic FZ150 coming out soon so I decided to give this type of camera one more chance.

From the (single!) sample image available on the SX40's specs page on canon.com, it seems that image quality is greatly improved from the SX1 and SX30, and seems to me to be even (much) clearer than that of the Sony DSC-HX100V, which I thought was doing the least amount of compromise in IQ out of all the megazooms that made my shortlist. So with the SX40 I would not be buying a new expensive camera with the frustration that it barely matches my old one in terms of IQ!

For the FZ150 I found more samples, but it's hard to say whether the IQ is better or worse on average than in the SX40 without comparing images of similar scenes, taken with similar shooting parameters. Although if I had to guess, I'd guess it is slightly worse than SX40...

So I will probably go with either the SX40 or the FZ150 (rather than the Sony), but to make this final decision I'd have to see enough image&video samples from each as well as, of course, a professional review. Speaking of which :) - Gordon, would you able to estimate roughly when the full review of these two cameras will be available on CL?

Many thanks in advance and once again congratulations to all involved for keeping up this excellent website!

Post subject: Can't upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:25 am 
I was hoping against hope they would go back to AA batteries. I have the SX10 and love it. I'd love to get the SX40, but I can't live with the custom battery. I like to go on backpacking trips and it's easy to carry a bunch of AA's. It's also cheap and easy to pick up a set should you misjudge your charge and need an emergency set. I've had it happen to me several times and it's a quick sidetrip to get the ubiquitous AA's. Last weekend I was at a Renaissance Fair, ran out of batteries, and for the first time was in a place I couldn't get any AA's. Ruined my whole day. That would happen often with the custom battery setup I'm sure. Sigh. RAW, I want, but have learned to live without. AA's, you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:31 am 
Stephend7 - Well said! I'm another SX10-er - and, well - if you can do without RAW for your P&S carry-camera - and have something else that does HD video - the SX10 takes one heckuva-lot of beating...

Well before the SX30 was released, the announcements of its "glories" preceded it... No RAW, no return to Superfine JPEGs, and no AAS...

I didn't wait for the SX30 - I bought a Fuji HS10... RAW, yes, 4 x AAs, yes, both HD Full and Std video - but controls not too good on that. And up to 12fps Fast continuous - that the SX30 didn't get - and 1.3fps in a camera that costs over $450.00 here isn't good enough...

But the SX40 does get 10fps - which is an improvement... Now - the SX50 - leave that in - add RAW, and, ahhh, yes - as they might want to sell it to folk like us - some AAs will be nice.

Actually - the right handgrip on the SX10-20-30-40 is of similar size to that on the Pentax K-R. And on that - they have a little Li-Ion power-pack, and that can be swapped for a 4 x AAs holder. With 4 Alkalines, that's little better than the power-pack - though more available - but 4 x Eneloops go twice as far as the power-pack - and 4 x AA lithiums - over 3 times...

The AA-holder for that camera is so popular - though the Pentax one is $60.00 here - that "clones" at a fraction of the price have sprouted all over...

There's a "rumour" that the entry DSLR that replaces the K-R will be back to 4 x AAs as standard - like the K200D, K-M, and K-X, before the K-R...

Canon seemed to be "getting the message" when the little A1200 appeared - powered by 2 x AAs - AND with a Viewfinder...

Some more of that "what P&S-ers actually want" - not just what's trendy - or cheap to churn out - would be nice, Canon....

Regards, Dave.

Post subject: Cycle Time?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm 
I hope Canon has improved the cycle time?

As per imaging-resource.com:

"Cycle time is average for the Long-zoom category, but sluggish compared to most other cameras, capturing a frame every 2.87 seconds in single-shot mode. Canon rates the SX30's full-resolution burst mode at 1.3 frames per second, which is also sluggish."

The cycle times on some of the super-zooms is a show stopper for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 am 
I've owned a G9, before switching to the SX-20. For the most part I loved my SX20, but I wasnt too thrilled about the noise in my videos and images. I managed to goto my favorite camera store today to check out the SX40. I have to admit that having a CMOS sensor REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!! The salesman allowed me to goto the back of the store and turn off a few lights to allow me to see how well the camera does in low light. It really blew me away!! Noise was pretty non-existent, sharp, and the dynamic range(even for this camera) was impressive. The quality of the screen while reviewing images is excellent. However, my ONLY GRIPE & DEAL BREAKER is that this camera takes too long to focus in my opinion(especially at wide angle shots). Now, it could be that the battery may not have been fully charged, but my SX20 focused a LOT faster. I do agree wtih some of you that having AA batteries is a better option, and cheaper than buying extra rechargeable batteries. I still have my eye on the Panasonic FZ 150. I'm torn between the two. I'm waiting for my area to get this model, so that I can take a look at it. I think overall it is better in features, and STRONGLY considering buying it instead of the SX40. Plus, the FZ 150, looks SO MUCH COOLER than the SX40!! I would like to see these two on a head-to-head review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:17 am 
I as well am torn between buying either the SX40 or the FZ150, and I am sure many other people are. Having a comparative review of these two models would really be awesome (hint hint)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Don't worry, I'll do one as soon as Canon gets an SX40 HS to me!