Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread for the rather exciting new Canon EF 8-15mm Fisheye zoom.

I hope you enjoy my full review which includes a more personal style than normal, plus the second opinions of two other photographers! Let me know what you think...

Canon EF 8-15mm Fisheye review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 am 

Hey, I've wondered what a "sea" would look like up close in an O'Neill Cylinder and now, courtesy of the video on this page of the review, I know. :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 pm 

A great review and a great lens. Regarding the lens cap, my canon rep in France has informed me that they are working on a solution. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago as I noticed straight away that it can fall off, even when simply picking it up from the table, due to the weight on the latch I guess. He replied on 18th August, stating (excuse the English) “In answer regarding the lens hood fixation we make a report to Canon Inc and we are waiting the answer, actualy it is summer holidays in Japan and our collegues are back next week. It is the first case register on this lens actualy but we will find a solution soon.”

Then a couple more, one to check I was referring to the lens cap, not the hood (I was referring to the lens cap, the hood is solid), “Just a quick question regarding the hood fixation, what is exactly the problem the hood fixation not lock on right position or the lens cap fall out ?”

The next to state that they are aware of the problem, “We prefer this version we know this problem and must be solve soon.

The problem must be solve soon.”

I think as long as you are aware of the problem, it is manageable. I had it with me this weekend for a wedding shoot. It did not fall off once (I stuck it in tight in the camera bag). Also, I scraped the front element a couple of times, once against a glass door and once against a white wall (it is not practical to keep putting the lens cap on when in use). I cannot see any damage to the coating/glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm 

Love the video clip of the boat `bending` to moor up. :lol: (a good idea for boat-builders of the future, maybe :idea: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone!

DP-PARIS, that's a really interesting comment you got there - please do follow it up and keep us updated...

PS - Bob, when you pan the camera while looking through that lens, you feel like you're in space!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:55 am 

Hi Gordon, I will be sure to fire off an email today, as I realised that is has actually been almost a month since the email exchange. I will post an update here when I have news.

Once again, a great review. I especially liked the field report parts. A great way to review a lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:08 pm 

Thanks for the review!

I knew beforehand about the problems with the lens hood on full-frame bodies but I was curious about the effect on crop-frame until the review answered the question.