Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lack of AF-Illuminator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:39 pm 
Having anticipated the 5D3 for so long and now to have it announced. Specs confirmed...I notice it has no AF-Illumination. Nor the 1D-X for that matter. Why do these cameras (along with the Nikon D3s/D4) not have AF-Illumination? I thought it was essential to utilize the extended high ISO range of these cameras (e.g. native 100-25,800 for the 5D3 or 100-51,200 of the 1D-X).

Some one told me it's because the AF is so advanced in these cameras you should be able to get away without needing it. I mean, I am sure Canon & Nikon has a very good reason for omitting it from their flagship cameras (and the 5D3).

The reason??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm 

They want you to buy their overpriced flash units that have the AF-assist beam built-in :x

I agree, it is a bit silly, but the AF supposedly is getting better and more sensitive in low-light - the sensitivity is down to -2 EV now on the 1Dx and I'd imagine since the 5D3 is using the same AF unit we'd see the same on that camera as well.

Time will tell if it's an improvement or not, but when shooting with my primary photographer's D3 (-1EV sensitivity IIRC) I was hard-pressed to miss shots even in dark environments. Cross-type sensors help immensely as well along with fast lenses.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 pm 
So it does have a bit to do with the ability of the AF system in the cameras. If capable enough (e.g. in the D3s, 5D3, 1D-X...etc.) then not having AF-illumination is definitely doable. If it wasn't Canon and Nikon wouldn't have omitted it.

Is there a way, in D3 cameras, to stop the external flash from firing but still use the AF-Assist? I was told Canon cameras can do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 pm 

Canon cameras can do this (in the menu, Flash functions, disable external flash firing) but I was shooting available light with fast lenses on the D3, so I can't speak for the exact way of doing it. I do know that my primary shoots like that at ceremonies where flash is often not permitted (with a D3S and SB800).

The only stipulation is the assist beam will not fire while using the AI Servo/Continuous AF modes, only One-Shot/Single AF mode.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 pm 
You mentioned a D3s + SB800...is that now your primary? Not your 5D2/7D...

I usually shoot in single-pt AF mode any how. :) But thanks for mentioning the stipulation.

Well, looks like I'll be ordering a 5D3 for Xmas after all. Too bad we have to pay $3800 CAD for the body. Getting one? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:07 pm 

My apologies, I should clarify - my primary photographer shoots with the Nikon gear... I was shooting with it to familiarize myself in the instance we need to switch or my equipment fails. I'm now shooting purely Canon for work again :) Nikon just felt dirty :P but the focus on that D3 was slick, so I can imagine how nice the new Canon AF is going to be!

I won't be buying a 5D3 this year, but likely by next winter/early spring I should have it in my bag. Here's to hoping for a busy summer :)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:49 pm 
Being that you already have a 5D2 I'm not sure you really need to upgrade. I was just being facetious. Since the changes aren't really that huge...unless the new 61-pt AF and expanded native ISO range will benefit your type of photography.

If you were strictly a 7D shooter...I think the 5D3 could be a worthy addition to your bag. For the added flexibility the 5D3 may give you over the 7D (again, depending on your type of photography). Though, to be honest, the 7D is a very capable camera in itself.

As a hobbyist, if I had a 7D, I might not be looking at 5D3. What the 7D lacks is the 5D3's expanded native ISO range. Good to have the ability to shoot in challenging low light situations at high ISO and still get clean photos. Using ambient light.