Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 am 
I been using my 5D Mark II for quite sometimes now since its launched. I been very carefully and never put it in any harm way. However, I notice the picture taken was 'broken' started three weeks ago. After that its 'on-and'off' depend on my luck if the photo turn out to be okay.

And now its completely dead! All photo taken are replaced with blank white color or couple red or green vertical line can be seen on the blank image.

I just wonder if any one of you are having the same problem with your 5D Mark II?

The LCD screen is perfectly good. Meaning there is nothing wrong with my LCD screen for some other function; adjusting the Menu etc...

Thanks,
YW Bong/Vietnam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 am 

Hi bongyakwui,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum. Sorry to hear your 5D2 is broken.

If it's still under warranty then there's only one course of action so I guess the fact that you haven't already returned it for repair says that it's no longer covered.

It sounds very much like a hardware failure to me (though I'm no expert) but I guess you could always try a firmware upgrade (v2.0.8 plus instructions is available here) if the usual trick of taking the battery out for 10 or 15 seconds doesn't help (I doubt it will). The only other thought that occurs to me is whether water may have got into the camera so if you have somewhere warm (not hot) and of relatively low humidity where the camera could spend a day or two drying out then that might also be worth a shot before opting for a potentially expensive repair.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:52 am 
Dear Bob,

Indeed thanks for your quick response.

I did brought it the Canon Authorized Dealer in Saigon for inspection, but they just ran a normal cleaning and return the camera to me without any problem. For one second I thought the problem was solve.

Unfortunately similar problem occurred, as a metter of fact getting worth after two weeks of using.

All my camera are always upgraded with the latest software as soon as it's available.

One thing though, I seldom use my video camera function on the 5D and it seem that caused the software to 'hang' when I try to activate the features. Therefore I suspect the latest software might have caused all these problem, but it seem my case is an isolated incident.

Regards,
YW Bong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:07 am 

Have you tried it with a different card? I had the same problem with an olf Fuji camera until I changed the card.

If not, then make sure the repair shop knows exactly what the problem was - cleaning isn't going to fix anything...

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject: 5D Mark II Mulfunction
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am 
Kim Chi,

Thanks, I did tried with couple of cards and the problem remained.

Regards,
YW Bong