Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 pm 

Hi,

I am using a T2i and T1i. Have got some YN flashes and am in the market looking for some inexpensive triggers, preferably PT-04 units as im not a professional and most of what i shoot is for my own use.

I want to know what they mean by a wireless triggers sync speed. I understand about flash sync speed. But dont get what they mean by having a sync speed for a radio trigger.

Also on ebay many manufacturers state 1/250 sec indoors and 1/500 sec outdoors. What does this imply ?

Some other manufacturers mention 1/200 as a standard and others mention 1/250 of a sec. All for the SAME PT-04 units. So this difference of opinion or misrepresentation is a little confusing. Can someone explain. It would also be great to hear from those of you using these triggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

Sorry for responding to a year-old thread. I stand to be corrected on this but my understanding is that the T2i has a maximum sync speed of 1/200 second and that this cannot be increased without high speed sync. It is true that some users of various triggers have reported higher sync speeds than this. My assumption is that they are using the Canon 580ex flash which allows high speed flash sync - useful mainly for taking relatively still objects in bright sunlight so as to increase aperture for shallow depth of field so as to blur the background. I own a T2i with a Yongnuo YN-465. I do not have the capability of using high speed sync and I have not purchased any flash triggers as yet. I understand that with the T2i you need to set the flash to manual when using optical slaves but that with radio slaves the slaves need to be manual or set to manual and you use the variable power settings on each flash. I am contemplating purchasing an E-TTL cord for my YN-465 in order to get used to off-camera flash with just one flash prior to advancing to a second slave flash. I don't think there is any way of using E-TTL for slave triggers except possibly with advanced dedicated flashes such as the Canon 580ex. I welcome further clarfication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm 

Optical triggering are of two kinds. The simpler ones trigger a flash when it receives the light from another flash. So there is now way to pass ETTL info from the camera to the flash. The IR system, like the one used by Canon, encodes the information into the IR signal and passes to the other flashes that have to be compatible to the system. Radio triggers are of two kinds too. The cheaper ones that only trigger multiple flashes and the expensive ones that pass the ETTL information too.
If you want to get your flash out of the lens axis, you have 3 options.
1) buy a ETTL cable. You are limited in motion and in number of flashes.
2) Cheap radio trigger, almost the same price as a quality ETTL cable. You are free to move around your subject but you have to set the flash manually, not a big deal IMHO.
3) ETTL radio trigger. You go “in style” but still you’ll have some issues with exposure, ETTL is not perfect for any situation

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net