Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:39 am 
Hey guys, I'm planning to get my first DSLR camera and I've done quite a lot of research and I found that Canon 550d will be a great choice for me.

Oh, and I'm also on a budget. So I would like to know

Should I get
(1st option) Canon 550D Kit I or
(2nd option) Canon 550D (Body) + Canon EF-S 55-250mm

My main questions will be,

1. What are the things that i will miss out if I choose the 2nd option.
2. Is it worth it?
3. Are there any other better suggestions?

I really need some advice. Thanks. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 am 

Welcome aboard.

1. With the focal lengths being different, you won't get as wide a field of view with the 55-250mm as the 18-55mm and naturally you can't zoom in anyway near as closely with the latter. They have somewhat different applications.
2. That depends on what feature is most important to you and what you're planning on shooting. Could you be more specific about what you you're looking for?
3. There are alternatives but we'd almost be shooting in the dark if you don't tell us what you'll be doing photos of or the environments in which you'll be shooting.

Everybody's on a budget, it's a question of how limited a budget. How much are you able/willing to spend altogether?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm 
Thank you for the reply =)

I'm from Malaysia. Canon 550D Kit one here cost about RM2800. My budget is just around RM2800-RM3500.

I take pictures of people and things around me. Daily photograph. Either both high and low light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm 
Hey, i just found two more lenses that catches my attention.

Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Macro

&

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

Can they be compare to the Canon lens I've mentioned just now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 pm 

They're both comparable to the Canon 50-250mm though neither sound like they have the equivalent of image stabilisation.

In all honesty, I don't think either of those lenses would be for you. Those lenses are better suited for shots of wildlife, sports or the moon i.e. situations where it's not practical for you to physically get close to the subject.

For people and your surroundings and bearing your budget in mind, you're probably best off with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, which has arguably better low light performance than any of the lenses you mentioned.

If you really shop around at the top end of your budget, you may have enough change left over from buying the 550D Kit I to get the 50mm f/1.8 second hand but I'm not familiar with tax rates in Malaysia so I won't swear to you being able to get two lenses and the camera in your budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm 
thanks bro! =D really helped me out a lot!

Post subject: Get a used 40D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:58 pm 
I would say get a used Canon 50D and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (non-VC version, it is optically better). I'm not sure if that would remain within your budget, that Tamron is an excellent lens and the 50D is a really nice camera that you can use for a very long time.

Trust me on this, once you buy the 550D, a few months later you will want something bigger and better, the 50D is a substantially better built, a more professional camera and will probably fit better in your hand, try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 pm 
Oh, i forgot to mention.. i also focus on video recording a lot as well.. 550D is definitely better than 50D rite??

and I have never buy any 2nd hand items before. The word risky always pops out from my mind. But issit actually that bad getting a 2nd hand one or issit just me? And if i plan to get a 2nd hand one, is there any precautions for me to know about the items? example like "making sure that there are still warranty" or smth like that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:47 pm 

The 50D has no video recording to speak of so if video recording is essential for you in a DSLR, you'll have to look elsewhere.

There's nothing inherently wrong with buying a second-hand camera. You would hope whoever's selling it is honest and has taken good care of it with the only reasons for selling being that they've upgraded or something not sinister.

I would search for reputable photography/electronics dealers or for refurbished bodies from the manufacturer if you're after a warranty with the used body. Just bear in mind that this peace of mind will probably cost you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:29 pm 

Not sure about price in Malaysia but here in england the 60d is the same price as the 50d. Also remember the 550d is a very good camera, unless you have big hands! Lenses are a lot more important and I think you should reconsider buying only a telephoto. In the uk it is £10 more for the 550d with 18-55 than 550d body only. So I would buy it with 18-55, 50mm 1.8/1.4 and a telephoto. If you are going to be taking sports photos you will be using a fast shutter speed so image stabilisation is not necessary. So you could take a look at the tamron 70-300mm or sigma 70-300mm.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin