Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:47 pm 
Quote:
It depends. How far are you from your subject? How much ambient light is there? How much movement is there? How fast is the movement? And "difficult" relative to what?

I guess all things being equal, difficult in relation to the D5100 AF results. Basically, given some of the limitations of the D5100 AF in movie mode, is it really a plus for that camera, or can I get the same results in a manual focus effort? Or, as limited as the D5100 is in this regard, is it still significantly better than attempting to focus manually?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 am 

Quote:
Basically, given some of the limitations of the D5100 AF in movie mode, is it really a plus for that camera, or can I get the same results in a manual focus effort?

Depends on the lens--actually the design and implementation of the focus ring--as well as your skill level, but yes, it's possible to get similar results manually, provided conditions allow it. e.g. camera up on a crane = no manual focus. Which leads to why I don't see how having a choice to use a feature (or not use it) can ever not be a plus, even if you can get similar results manually.

But if focus while shooting video is that important to you, you may want to look into a GH2.

Full disclosure: I own a GH2 - Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:43 pm 
hello
i'm looking at buying my first camera and just looking for some feed back on this model
This camera will be used for photos of my baby boy thats around the corner :) and also my hobby which is dog show based i spend many hours out and about in the countryside whilst walking my dogs so i'm looking for a good al rounder that i wont out grow to quick looking at some good action shots and also portraits
is this a good option for the money ???
thanks in advance Danny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hi staffdan,

If you have a baby on the way I can recomend this camera basically from the sensor and its video mode. Because you mostly would be shooting video of your little boy and the 18MP sensor is the same on some higher end models, thats enough for me to consider it over the Nikon 5100.

I personally think that the articulating screen is probably the best way to get started in DSLR territory mainly because it offers a lot more felxability for first time users who dont religiously use an opitical view finder.

Walking the dogs mean you can hold the camera low and still see the image wihtout having to get on your knees to shoot photos, the same with little children. I honestly dislike seeing video and photos of babies taking their first steps etc from the angle of the person holding the camera up 10billion stories high over the kid.... A camera like this with a rotating screen will help you get down low and probably get some really nice shots of the little one attacking the lend with his sticky fingers :P

3.7 Frames a second isnt bad at all - I had 3fps in my old Olympus I sold and that was still used for action photos. Not the best but you will always get a few shots you will want to keep.

and if you are the kind of person that likes to fiddle, 18MP means you can chop the image relatively in half and still maintain a 10MP image.

Some ppl can dismiss this camera JUST because its upgrade from the previous model is a screen and wireless trigger for flash guns. But if you are getting started, the usefullness of these features is deffinately worth the money... REmember, even Apple had to raise the price of the iphone when they added a crap camera to it.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 pm 
Thanks Leo
After posting the question I found the 2 videos of the nikon and canon and found them
Helpful and informative .
I've had an interest in photography for a few years now, but never been able to afford the camera I wanted but managed to get the best out of point and click cameras so ive concentrated my efforts to improve or alter my basic shots on photoshop so raw will be ace for me I've also been reliant on other people to supply me with photo to play with :(
You hit one of my main concerns with you comments on shutter speeds as I felt this was lower than I've seen fingers crossed they will be fine
I'm thinking of also including the 70-300 lense to give me more flexibility
Thanks again
Danny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 am 

How about getting a 60D.... you basically pay a couple of hundred more for a stronger body, more manual control, and 5.3 FPS and volume control for video. It also has wireless flash control.

A 60D with a 15-85mm and then get the 70-300 another time, prefferabley get a 70-200 f/4 IS USM which is (Im guessing) slightly cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 am 

Leo wrote:
get the 70-300 another time, prefferabley get a 70-200 f/4 IS USM which is (Im guessing) slightly cheaper.

Only if the 70-300mm L lens is meant. But personally I guess it's the "normal" EF version or even the (better than Canon's non-L and cheaper) Tamron lens.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 am 

Jiko wrote:
Leo wrote:
get the 70-300 another time, prefferabley get a 70-200 f/4 IS USM which is (Im guessing) slightly cheaper.

Only if the 70-300mm L lens is meant. But personally I guess it's the "normal" EF version or even the (better than Canon's non-L and cheaper) Tamron lens.

Excellent! I didnt think of the Tamron 70-300.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 pm 

Just finishing to play around with the 600D, I have to say that it's ergonomics feel quite similar to the 650D's. Nice, decent grip, although a bit too small for my hand. Thumb rest is pretty good, I like the rubberized part. Also the flip out screen is pretty handy. Focusing is slower compared to the 650D, but still in low-light it was giving pretty decent results.
This is the last I needed before buying the camera, to test it out one final time, and it didn't disappoint, it's just what I want for the price I'm willing to pay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am 

Finally got my T3i and after playing a while with it, I have to say it is a great camera for the price. Feels pretty light, something that would bother me a bit with heavier lenses, but it's also pretty nice when carrying it around.
Didn't use it for very long because the battery is always discharged, but it had a bit of juice to use it for a few minutes.

I'm very happy so far with it :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9