Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 pm 
As we all know 40D is a 1.6 cropped sensor, i'm looking for a lens that is close to 50mm (i really like to have normal perspective type of prime) when converted, there's no exact focal length multiplied by 1.6 is equal to 50mm, but there are primes close to it.. i will just mention the primes that i consider:

canon 28mm f/1.8 = 44.8 mm
canon 35mm f/2 = 56 mm
sigma 30mm f/1.8 = 48 mm*

*sigma is my last option because i'm having doubts on mounting it to 40D (front focusing problem as i've read from an owner of this lens with 40D).

What do you think will be the best choice if you were to choose? considering all the specs and image quality of course of each of the lenses mentioned.

Do you think i can hone my skills with just one prime? i really like the idea of moving around your subject for a perfect angle shot, or should i still get a zoom lens?

Merry Christmas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:13 pm 

Hi bumbleaidz,

You certainly don't need a zoom to hone your technique. Many of the older members of this community will have started their SLR ownership with one or two primes back in the days when zooms were optically rather worse than they are today.

I don't have any of the lenses on your shortlist (and I think you meant the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 as I can't find a Sigma 30mm f/1.8 on the Sigma site). If you haven't seen them yet there are reviews of all three lenses at PhotoZone here.

Is there any particular reason, such as Depth of Field perhaps, that you are looking for a faster prime rather than the EF-S 17-85mm f4~5.6 IS USM (check Gordon's review here) which is sold as the kit lens here in Europe? The price of the 40D with this kit lens is cheaper than buying a body and the EF 28mm f1.8 USM separately.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've used the Canon 35mm f2.0 and it's a sharp and affordable lens, but I missed the lack of USM focusing on it - a bit slow and noisy!