Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 430 EX flash
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:16 am 
Hi all,
Just bought a Canon 430 flash. The technical terms on the instruction book confuse me. To made things simple, could i just switch to ETTL and then forget about the rest?
There's so many function like FEL, ZOOM. CFN??? etc..etc...
So can anyone recommend what will be the best setting for just general shooting? ( outdoor and occasionally indoor ) anyone care to explain in layman terms what all these mean? ( FEL, ZOOM, FEC, Manual flash, High Speed Syn, C-fn 01, etc....)
thanks,
Bemyself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:09 am 
Site Admin

The zoom refers to the flash's ability to 'zoom' with your lens, so I'd leave that activated. And ETTL is the most advanced mode where it works out the exposure and flash level, so I'd leave it at that and see what your results are like. Then return to the instructions as and when you need to discover more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 pm 
I have the Canon flash 580 EX II and I have it set to ETTL but it really is ETTL II.

The flash will be working in combination with body of the camera and in turn the lens. However, it also depends on the Canon body you have. There are a number of settings within the Canon 40D that can be configured for an external flash. Have you set these?

As Gordon has mentioned, use ETTL. There is the manual setting for compensation, zoom and the like but ideally the flash should be a last resort. Many professionals will suggest increasing the ISO instead of using the flash. In many instances, the flash can make an otherwise warm but enchanting photo harsh. So you need to trial and error with ISO’s, say up to 400, the camera exposure and so forth. Then take the same image with the flash. It’s a learning experience that can only be achieved through taking images and analysing them.

You can a bounce the light emitted from the flash off a light ceiling or back wall, or use a diffuser to soften the light emitted and so forth.

Flash photography is a detailed and expert area, and goes beyond a single external flash, to flash slaves and studio lighting. An understand in the physics of light and photography would be handy to understand too.

This may sound contradictory, but flash can be used effectively as fill in an outdoor shoot and not use in an indoor shot to great effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:39 am 
Thanks both of you for the information. Well explained and again thanks G for the advice. Will play around for a while and then hope to undertstand more in the future :)
Regards,
Bemyself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:26 pm 
:)