Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:48 pm 

hi to everyone, i'm a newbie in the world of photography, i'm planning to buy a canon 40d through amazon, but i'm having a hard time making a good starter lens combination, after an intensive research with each of the lenses (to be mentioned) and considering my budget, i'm thinking of either EF 28-135mm IS and EF 35mm f/2 --OR-- EF 35mm and EF-S 60mm macro, which do you think is the better lens combination? having the 40d as the body 35mm is equivalent to 56mm on a full frame body, it's quite odd pairing the 35mm with 60mm macro, they're both primes which makes it even more weird, i want the 35mm paired to either of the two above mentioned lens, because i want a normal perspective considering 56mm is close to 50mm which is the exact normal perspective lens, though i want to master macro photography at the same time, i want a versatile lens, i just need some help in making a good pair of starter lens. please reply to this ASAP, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi bumbleaidz, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

That's an interesting question and it really depends whether you think the two lenses will cover all your immediate requirements. the zoom obviously gives you more flexibility, a longer range AND image stabilisation, BUT the primes will be better quality, smaller, lighter, optically brighter - and will also force you to move around your composition for the best angles. Remember not so long ago, most SLR film photographers made do with a 50mm and little else...

So yes, if you're after a 50mm equivalent prime, then a 35mm is a great choice - just be aware the Canon EF 35mm f2.0 is not a USM model so its focusing can be a little noisy and slowish. You may wish to alternatively check out the Sigma 30mm, or consider Canon's 28mm f1.8...

The EF-S 60mm is also a great choice if you're into macro shots and will also serve as a good portrait lens too.

So it's really a lifestyle choice between the convenience of a zoom and the purist approach of primes - only you can decide!

If you are buying through Amazon though, do consider doing it via our Affiliate page here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml

Thanks!

Gordon

PS - if you buy the 40D kit with the 28-135mm, they do sell you the lens quite cheaply, so it can be worth having it as a backup even if you intend to go with the primes in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:07 pm 

i see, i didn't expect a reply from the site admin itself, thanks by the way, but anyway.. i've come down to 1 lens combination, the 28-135mm and 35mm f/2 it is, i've considered the sigma 30mm, read some reviews mounting it on a 40D, it has some issues with it and more importantly, my budget won't allow me to go for sigma if i'm gonna buy the 40D with the 28-135mm kit lens.

thanks again for the response!

Merry Christmas!

-adrian urbano (philippines)

PS: i suggest that everytime you make a canon lens video review, that you always stress out/emphasize on having canon include the lens hood to all of their lenses and not just for the L series lens, maybe one day they would change their mind and include lens hood to all of their friggin' expensive lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'll keep saying it, but I doubt they'll ever change!