Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:25 am 

yesterday i went to a fun fair to take some night shots there. Suddenly i trip over a curve n fell down with my camera. it hit the ground but firmly. Have some scratches at the bottom.

I shake the camera, feels like something loose inside. and my AF on the kit lens does not function eventhough i can hear the motor functioning.

What should i do? do any of you guys know what to do? maybe can give me some advice before i go to the service centre? Can i claim warranty for it?
Or what can i do on my own to repair it?

In Sadness :(
Barri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:09 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your accident - sadly in my experience, cameras are virtually impossible to repair yourself. You unscrew something and a thousand pieces spring out, never to be reassembled again!

So I'd say take it to the service center...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:12 am 

im taking it to the service centre on this monday (24 December 2007).

Before i do so, really need some advice, any advice.

Heart Broken,
Barri :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:18 am 

That’s really unfortunate.

It won't be under Canon warranty as it self-inflicted but your home insurance may cover it. If it were me I would phone my home insurance company and get a new one over getting it repaired.

I did read that a guy dropped his expensive Canon lens and it would not manually focus as it got stuck. Having nothing to lose he gave it some and it went past the trouble stop. Over time it has worked normally.

The camera is a different animal.

Luckily the kit lens is not that expensive to replace.

You need to decide whether the cost of service will not be close to that of a new one and cut your loses. But try your home insurance first or your parent’s home insurance if you live with them. It’s worth a try and you have nothing to lose. If you have to, say you trip and dropped it in doors.

Let us know how you get on.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L USM, Canon SL 580 EX Mark II, Canon Battery Flash Unit CP-E4, Canon BG-E2N (Battery Grip), Canon Right Angle Finder C, B+W 77mm Kaeseman CP (MRC) Filter, B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Filter, Canon Timer RC TC-80N3, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 am 

abuza8nuqina wrote:
yesterday i went to a fun fair to take some night shots there. Suddenly i trip over a curve n fell down with my camera. it hit the ground but firmly. Have some scratches at the bottom.

I shake the camera, feels like something loose inside. and my AF on the kit lens does not function eventhough i can hear the motor functioning.

What should i do? do any of you guys know what to do? maybe can give me some advice before i go to the service centre? Can i claim warranty for it?
Or what can i do on my own to repair it?

In Sadness :(
Barri

if you shake any camera will do a noice like something is loose my camera does that but is normal as long as your camera takes pic that is ok about your lens not sure but have a look at google do a research see what you can find.
PS: i dont think you can claim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:26 am 

abuza8nuqina wrote:
...I shake the camera, feels like something loose inside. and my AF on the kit lens does not function eventhough i can hear the motor functioning...

Hi Barri,

Very sorry to hear your news. Try taking the lens off and put caps on the lens and the camera. Then give the camera a shake. If there is no rattle from the camera then it may be that just the lens is broken which would be a lot cheaper to replace (or upgrade :idea: ). Let's hope so, at any rate, if you aren't otherwise insured.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:33 am 

oh seriously? does anyone have the same noise? if anyone else do, then i think there's nothing wrong with my camera.

Gotto replace the kit lense. planning on buying a sigma/tamron 18-200. some say it's a scout lens. Can use, wide angle and macro. Is it true?

First and for most, gotta sell my 7 day year old Canon 75-300mm III USM.

BTW, thanks everyone for the advice. Thanks.

Try to Cheer Up,
Barri