Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:18 am 
hello friends!

im thinking of getting this lens if my wife will let me :lol:

anyways, can you please give me your ideas about the ff:

1 - i am using a tripod. do i still need to get the IS version?

2 - if i'll be getting the IS version, will it be effective if i shoot a subject at
200mm (max) without the tripod since i have quite a shaky hand?

3 - which one do you personally prefer, the 70-200mm F4 L IS or the 70-
200mm F2.8 L no IS. the price is almost the same for these 2 lenses.

4 - if i'll be getting the 70-200m F2.8 L no IS, will it be suitable for me to
use it without the tripod?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chef_mario, all the Canon 70-200s are nice and there's several owners here who'll hopefully comment! I can tell you the f2.8 is one of the quickest focusers I've ever used, but then the f4s aren't slouches either...

That's a really interesting choice though: the f4 with IS or the f2.8 without IS for only a little more. You'd really need to tell us what sort of photos you want to take and how much weight you're willing to carry.

If the subjects are mostly still, then I'd go for the f4 with IS, but if they move (and I didn't mind the weight), then I'd go for the f2.8! Nice dilemma anyway...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:55 am 
I have the 70-200mm f4 IS USM and it is a great lens and I very rarely use the tripod, most of my photography is Railways and you don't get time to use a tripod if you are to capture a train coming round the bend in the opposite direction. I use nearly all of it's focal length more often than not at 200mm and hand held, a tip I picked up from a friend with the non IS version of this lens was to put your left hand under the lens cap near the end and prop yourself against something solid (if available), but I have found that without a prop I can still get shots at 200mm without any blur. So my recommendation would be get the 70-200mm f4 IS USM also another thing is this lens in the UK is still open to a £100 cashback if purchased before 31/12/07 hopefully the cashback applies where you live as well, so be quick only 14 days left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:20 am 

Like Roy I am delighted with my EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM but I rarely use a tripod so the IS can be really useful. If I didn't need IS and weight wasn't an issue I think I would be drawn to the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (reviewed here) as it goes one better than the 70-200mm f/4L models and is compatible with Canon's EF 2x II Extender as well as the EF 1.4x II Extender. Of course the downside of the f/2.8 is that you only get an effective "1 stop" of stabilisation compared to the nominal 3 stops that the IS that the f/4 offers.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 am 
Hello, I am really new to the forums, in fact this is my second post!
well - here goes:>

I own the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. It is a terrific lens and has helped me capture some really great photographs. It is very well built and every time I click it in I feel good about it. Just holding a lens of this quality gives me confidence. I bought this lens because of the price. If I could have afforded the 2.8 I would have gone with that. Having that 2.8 gives more options. But I really love my F4 and for price you can't beat it.

I went to the Salinas Air Show this year and shot pretty much the whole show with this lens and it was great. On a tripod it is great and the background blur is wonderful although the 2.8 is probably better here, but I bet not too much better.

To echo the others about what types of photos are being taken, I think that is the main choice you have make, beside the money of course.
A couple of nights ago my daughter had her Christmas pageant at school and I tried to take some shots in the poorly lit church and the lens had a tough time focusing. Having the 2.8 (and even better with IS) in this situation would have been huge improvement!

I am new to dSLR's and also to Canon. My only issue with this lens is the color. I would love a black version of this lens. But really, if you get to the point of wondering about cosmetics, that really is 0K in my book.
Image quality is epic and you wont be disappointed.

here are some sample photos taken with a Canon 30D:
All photos processed with Lightroom

Beechcraft 400 Landing

Daughter singing at the Christmas pageant

A watch (taken with a tripod)

Blue Angel 1

Nostalgic fly-by

Last edited by Jim Hawksworth on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:49 am 
hello friends!

thank you all for the excellent replies.

@Gordon: you're right there buddy. what a dillemma im having eh?!
hahaha! :lol: if ever, the lens will be mainly used for wildlife, insects
(butterflies and such), sports or action shots like snowboarding, cars, etc.
i am really considering the F2.8 but IS is really a huge deal for me.

@Roy: i am currently checking the prices here in Vancouver for the F4
IS. thanks also for pointing out the rebate! Canon Canada also has this
promo and i might get upto $200 if i combine it with the reciept of the 40D.

@Bob: if i go with the F4 L IS, will it be effective for low light action shots? thanks!

@Jim: nice pictures! i like depth of field on your daughter's picture. very sharp!

thank you all :wnk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:12 am 

chef_mario wrote:
...@Bob: if i go with the F4 L IS, will it be effective for low light action shots? thanks!...

"Low light action" photography isn't my thing so please take a large pinch of salt with the following. The f/4L IS should allow you to shoot handheld in lower light conditions than the f/2.8L non-IS lens before camera shake becomes an issue. However IS cannot help freeze motion in the picture so for low light action shots I suspect the f/2.8L lens may be the better option. If you are able to set up a tripod then the benefits of IS are effectively wiped out and the f/2.8 lens wins for sure.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

How about this - remortgage and buy the f2.8 IS for the best of both worlds!

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:39 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Had thought about this lens but at the cheapest I could find £1150 :( $2315.14 US and the dearest £1350 :shock: $2718.09 US... could do without the ear bashing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:33 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Gordon,

YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY MY NEW BESTEST FRIEND!!! :mrgreen: hahaha!

here's why...

i felt so confused and quiet the last few days thinking if i should get the
70-200 F4 IS or the 70-200 F2.8 no IS.

all those time, i didnt notice that my "Super lovely and understanding
wife" (she's reading this forum so nobody argues OK? :lol: was actually
watching me and this is what happened while having dinner...

wifey: so, how much is it?
me: im sorry honey, what?
wifey: how much is the thing that you want to buy?
me: what thing honey?
wifey: the thing that's keeping you out of this planet since Monday?
me: oh, the lens... well its not really important.
wifey: yeah, right! ok you can get it as long as you take me to Mexico
next summer! and you can only take pictures of ME!!!
me: ....speechless....

so the ending of this thread is...

i got the 70-200 F2.8 L IS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
and im getting C$300.00 for the rebate (together with the receipt of the 40D) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 am 

Hi chef_mario,

Fantastic news. I guess a lot of guys on the forum are now seriously wondering if your better half has an unmarried sister! Lucky man!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:10 pm 
Just gone very, very GREEN with envy. I would get why do you want that lens when you already have three lenses in your bag (and we are not even married or live together) Mario when you get the new lens can you post a close up picture of it so that I can go even Greener and then start to dribble. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Great news chef_mario!

I should try more cheeky remarks like that if it helps...

Seriously you're getting yourself a really nice bit of kit - I had the pleasure of using one once and while it is quite heavy, it's just a wonderful piece of kit. We all demand example shots and a user review when you get it!

Gordon

PS - if you've not already ordered it, please do check if there's a good deal at any of our affiliate stores!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:03 am 
See this link:
http://tinyurl.com/y9uomq

You’ve make the right choice and I want one.

I said to my fiancée, I’m thinking of getting another lens to go with my 24-70mm f/2.8L but quickly said “but not yet”. You see I’ve just spent £3000 on the 40D, 24-70mmf/2.8 and a load of other kit.

And I sill have this expensive Gitzo tripod and monopod with Arca Swiss head to get in the US in April through Gordon’s affiliate B+H Photos.

Well if I can get £3000 of kit. Over a £1000 on tripod gear, I’m sure it won’t take much to get that puppy you are using right now.

Be nice to them and treat them good and you can have want ever you want :twisted: (only joking). she's a good girl.

Please let us know how it goes.

Bob, this lens does have the valuable 3-stop Image Stabilization.