Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:08 am 
Thanx G, thanx Bob... I have 4GB... that's enough...
Please, read my post about the filters I plan to buy to my 17-40/4L... I need your advice.

Buy the way, excuse my poor English but it's not my mothers tong as I am Bulgarian.

Thanx in advance... and Seasons Greetings,
pravdo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:38 pm 
Your English is fine buddy.

So you have PS CS3 and the Adobe RAW converter updated - yes?

Don't forget about the DNG update too. It will come in handy later.

Yes, I have seen you filter post, replied to it, and added some more information that should make the choice straightforward.

Hope this helps.

PS: stay with RAW not sRAW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm 
sorry, maybe silly question but, what's DNG update?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:04 am 
pravdo wrote:
sorry, maybe silly question but, what's DNG update?

"DNG" is Adobe's Digital Negative and is available as a free download from their website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 am 
It makes sense to convert your RAW (a proprietary format) file to Adobe's DNG (non-proprietary) RAW format. It has the advantage that software will be able to use the DNG format in a viewable form where RAW cannot also be done.

It's an open standard. DNG uses a single file to store all information while a RAW file uses two files that are needed for backing up (the RAW file itself and the external colour file). So this reduces confusion, storage and backup concerns.

There is software that can convert a proprietary format to the DNG RAW format such a Adobe LightRoom, Adobe PhotoShop and BreezeBrowser Pro internally.

There is no disadvantage in using the convert RAW file to DNG file and then using the DNG file to carry out any post-production. The information within both formats is identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:31 am 
Site Admin

I should however mention that DNG does not contain the proprietary information of each manufacturer's RAW formats - or perhaps rather the software which processes them does not support the proprietary information.

So if you had, say, a Nikon D300 RAW file, you could adjust Active D-Lighting using Capture NX, but that's something which would never appear outside of Nikon's software with a DNG.

DNG is fine though if you just want to make basic tonal, colour, sharpness and white balance adjustments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:12 am 
Thanx G, thanx Gordon,
that site makes me more confident in my first digital steps...
super fast and comprehensive answers to all my questions...

Buy the way to those who still wonder should they go for a digital... just watch your scanned slides on 100% and a picture made with dSLR and you will "see"...

thanx again,
p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:14 pm 
Oh yes :-D

On a nice 42 inch plasma HD TV.

Gordon it is true that DNG is not a complete solution but it is still worth considering.