Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 am 
"AnArKi - who do i trust more on what the 60d replaced?"

Trust yourself - Photogs are amongst the brightest and best informed consumers I know. 8)

"Gordon Laing - As for actual performance, none of us can comment definitively until we've actually tested a final production sample. As for price, I again wouldn't comment until it's settled down and we can see where the street prices end up compared to others."

I look forward to the review and until then it's all speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 am 
The 60D has a new feature.

In camera Raw Image Processing:
Brightness
White Balance
Picture Style (Sharpness , Contrast, etc.)
Auto Lighting Optimizer
High ISO Noise Reduction
Image Recording Quality
Color Space
Peripheral Illumination Correction
Distortion Correction
CA Correction

And I think it can convert the image to JPEG in camera.

Sounds interesting. Your thoughts ?

BTW - The 60D Users Manual is now on the Canon website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 am 
Site Admin

AnArKi, all of us understand that Canon is saying the 60D replaces the 50D, but what I'm saying is that in terms of features and performance, most xxD owners will prefer to go for the 7D. So that makes the 7D the most sensible replacement for many xxD owners.

But once again, just because the company says the 60D is the successor to the 50D doesn't mean you HAVE to replace yours with it. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the best camera for you. You have a free mind - I hope - and with the help of others here can make the right decision for you.

Remember not all replacements are 100% superior to what came before them. They often have new features, but they may not be as good in other respects. They may also be rebranded, relaunched, redesigned or repositioned. It happens all the time with products. The new version may not necessarily be the right fit for you anymore. Get over it.

Here's an analogy for you: I used to love Gap's Easy Fit jeans - they fitted me perfectly. Then about a year ago they replaced them with another style which didn't fit me so well. These were the official replacements.

Did I rant? No. Did I buy them anyway simply because Gap said they were the replacement for mine? No. Did I look for a more suitable pair of jeans in the range or from another company which fitted me better? YES! Of course I did!

I really want to draw a line now and ask that we stop this ranting. By all means state your opinion, but then please just let it go. We know and understand your feelings on the matter, so we don't need to fill this thread with the same things over and over again. The longer it goes on, the less it is about photography and the more it is about trolling or antagonising, neither of which are allowed on this forum. Almost all your posts so far have been ranting, complaining or disagreeing - none of this represents a positive or useful contribution to our community here.

If you need help deciding which is the best model for you, then please tell us what you have and where it's lacking - then we can go from there. I think we can guess the 60D isn't for you, despite Canon saying it's the 50D's successor, so let's help you find a more suitable model.

If you're only here to rant and complain though, then please do it in another forum - you'll get more sympathy there.

So let's wipe the slate clean now and find the right camera for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:05 am 
Do you guys think that with the introduction of the 60D that it will bring the price down on the 7D? Or will it take a direct replacement for the 7D to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am 

Hi Eric,

In the short term I doubt the 60D will make any difference as it isn't available yet. There may be a slight peak in demand for the 7D from those who delayed until the 60D specs were known but I would hope the street price would stay the same.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:42 am 

I think the introduction of the 60D will effect the 7d price. The 7d has dropped $400 buck's sense it's release date. If your looking to save on the 7d price,you will probably have to wait till January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:46 pm 

Gordon,
I look forward to your video tour, do you know when it will be released on Youtube?

agun wrote:
You can do self portraits

I can photograph self portraits without a screen. I just set the kit lens to 18mm, enable AF, then hold it at a distance away from my face, look into the lens, half press, and shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

Still doing self portraits the tilting screen is more comfortable and you really know how the picture is going to look like ;)

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Given the 60D may be my next DSLR and that I've never used an SD card before (Sandisk 4/8/16gb CF cards are what I use in my A95 and 40D) and that I've never shot movies...

What type (SD, SDHC, SDXC) and capacity/size card should I anticipate buying? My A95 is 5mp and 40D is 10mp...simple math tells me a 32gb card is probably a safe bet, but would two 16gb cards be a viable alternative?

I'm clueless when it comes to shooting movies, but I imagine you T2i, 7D and 5D Mk II gurus are not...any help would be appreciated!

@ Gordon - thank you for your review of the EF-S 15-85mm lens, it looks like it might be a great addition to my kit...

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm 

If you use 2x a 16gb card, and one of the two stops working because it's defect, you have got another one.
When the 32gb stops,.......

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm 
Hi Jerry,
To emphasize what Ruben says, I never use a single card. A good friend of mine bought a large card for his P&S so he wouldn't need to download and burn pictures in his 2 weeks trip to Thailand. Then someone stole his camera and he has no pictures whatsoever from his trip.

Also, when I travel, I change my card quite often, so if the card stops working, I'll have at least some of the pictures and I won't loose an entire area or several complete days from my trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

I will be doing a video review of the 60D to go with my full written report, but I have to wait for the actual camera to come out first! Hopefully sometime in September, but beyond that I can't say.

PS - yes I agree two smaller cards is more secure than one big one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:55 am 
Gordon,

I am disappointed at your comments regarding people replacing/updating their xxD bodies.

I think everyone agrees that the 7D is the best option for people with 40D/50D bodies. However, the big problem with this argument is price.

Anybody who is prepared to pay the RRP for the 60D should indeed spend that little bit extra and go for the 7D, but as you yourself have argued, the 60D will take time to find its 'natural' price point. This has historically been in the region of £700-£800. To glibly say that people should simply get a £1200 camera instead does a disservice to those who stretch and sacrifice to afford the £800.

Journalists and reviewers often have free/discount access to new kit and sometimes seem to lose touch with the fact that most people have to work and struggle to buy the equipment they have access to. I have pulled up computer magazine journalists on exactly this subject.

Please be more considerate towards those people who simply cannot afford/justify a £1200 camera body.

As regards your jeans analogy (I too have the old version of the jeans you mention), it does not work:

Jeans are a single item that you can use in isolation or with multitudes of options from other manufacturers. With cameras we buy into 'systems' where everything is designed to work only with parts from the same system. Imagine if your jeans only fitted if you also bought only GAP shirts, underwear, socks, jackets and shoes. Then you would find that switching jeans 'systems' would not be so easy. You would have a choice between making do with what GAP provided as a new version of your jeans, buying their 50% more expensive range, or ditching your entire wardrobe and buying again from scratch.

I may be able to afford a 7D/5D (or even 1D), but even I would balk at dumping all the time and money invested in my Canon kit and spending the vast sums required to 'go somewhere else' as you suggest.

Regards,

Nick

PS. Why did you have to go all the way to NZ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 am 
@ All - thanks so much for the input, it helps greatly...cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 am 
@SoloRider
i agree with Gordon i believe what he saying if u have a 50D it really isn't worth upgrading to the 60D u might as well go for the 7d or keep the 50D till u have enough money. because honestly i don't think the 60D is worth it (as far as specs go i haven't seen any retail prices out yet)

and as for the analogy i think gordon is trying to say is just because its "NEW" and "BETTER" doesn't make it BETTER for your needs who defines better you do ultimately not Canon or Nikon or Pentex so arguing over this is silly.

but more importantly GAP :shock: :shock: :shock: really :lol: :lol: jk gordon

@StillFingers
Go with 2 16gb and for video maybe buy one fast card and one a little slower to save money i use 2 16 gb x400 speed CF cards and they work great no problems yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next