Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 pm 

I think this is expectation problem. In my eyes, 60D design is a good move. It is positioned to crush Nikon D90 succesor.

But many people expect 60D to be better than 50D in the core (built quality and fast cont shoot/AF system) but it is not.

I think Canon should name it Super Rebel or 700D instead of 60D, the real 60D is actually 7D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:31 pm 

"I think this is expectation problem. In my eyes, 60D design is a good move. It is positioned to crush Nikon D90 succesor.

But many people expect 60D to be better than 50D in the core (built quality and fast cont shoot/AF system) but it is not.

I think Canon should name it Super Rebel or 700D instead of 60D, the real 60D is actually 7D."
I would not say its a exception problem, its named 60d lets look back. Humm first canon 10d, then the successor was 20d, then the successor was 30d, then the successor was 40d, then the successor was 50d lol after looking at all that it only makes sense that the 50d successor would be a 60d. Come on i would think the next chevy corvette will be a sports car and not a 4 door sedan named zr66 or some thing like that. We would have the right to be mad, they missed up a long running line of sports cars that made its name and rep. over time in racing, i would say the same about the 60d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 am 
Site Admin

[Sorry everyone, I'm going to rant now]

Come on guys, I can't believe so many people are getting upset over just a name. Who cares if the 'true successor' to the 50D doesn't have two digits? It doesn't matter!

All these people saying how upset and disappointed they are with Canon and how they're going to trade systems over just a name - how ridiculous! If you have a 30D, 40D, 50D etc and want a significant upgrade, then go for the 7D - it's really that simple! It's a fantastic camera and you should be really happy it's available with your lens mount.

Just because 60 numerically follows 50 doesn't mean it absolutely has to be your upgrade. I agree it would be the first model you'd check out when shopping for an upgrade, but within seconds you'd know it had been repositioned and the real upgrade path was now the 7D.

What's so wrong with that? Is losing a digit such an offensive prospect that someone would rant in a forum or even switch brands?

If anyone is that upset their next camera doesn't have two digits or the name they expected, then really, I think you should pause for a minute and think about your priorities.

Maybe there'll be a roaring trade for people selling zero characters in the Canon font so they can stick it after the 7D and make a 70D. Or maybe people will prize off the 60D badge from new cameras in the shops and stick it on a 7D as that's what it should have been called.

Because clearly that's the most important thing. Not the performance of a camera. Not the actual process of taking photos to record precious memories (or make a living). But the actual number on the front and whether it has two digits or not.

Deep breath. Ok, let's say for argument's sake that Canon should have avoided the xxD numbering for this specification and gone for something new. Seriousaly what would they have called it, and remember the numbering outside North America. We already have a 1000D, a 550D, a 50D and a 7D. Clearly it's not a 600D, so should it be a 700D, or maybe an 800D? And if it was, would all the xxD owners still be wondering when their upgrade was coming?

I just don't see what the problem is. The latest xxD model has been repositioned as an upper mid-range model aimed against the Nikon D90 (and its successor). The 7D is now the high-end APS-C model. Easy.

For the record though, the launch price is high, but then what's new? All new models start high. Let's see how it's priced in a few months to see how it fits in the range.

[ok rant over, I feel better now. I'm not going to make any more comments until I can show you some results from a final production sample]

PS - RAW-1, your first post in this forum slags off the top two semi-pro Canon bodies, claims the Nikon equivalents are superior, then says you're going to abandon your system and switch to Nikon. Sorry, but that reads like a troll to me and is the kind of post we'd expect to see on other forums, not this one. Have you seen the results pages in my reviews? The 5D Mark II and 7D perform superbly against their rivals. If you read the whole reviews, you'll also understand the final scores. But by all means, if the Canon bodies you own are so desperately disappointing, then yes, you should switch systems as soon as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:56 am 

A different perspective on the 60D...probably not your average shooters take.

Being disable, having big hands, the Rebel series while light weight, feels like a toy. I've shot Canon since 1978 (I still love film) and semi-pro cameras are my fav. When I switched to AF cameras (well added them), my first was an EOS-3, it's fast, but its heavy like the old T-90.

In 2008 I took the digital plunge with the 40D...still a kickass camera...I use it near daily. I do love it's heft/solid feel, it's speed...design. But I sit while I shoot, no high or low level shooting from a wheelchair...

The 60D, for me, seems to be a possible buy...for the Articulated screen alone...unless Canon puts one on the 5D MK III...then I move to full frame. And, the 60D is lighter, again for me this is a bonus, especially since the body seems to follow xxD sizing; ie. bigger grip...the Rebel's grip is a joke. 60D negatives, SD card (yuck) and only C1 (I love having C1-3; people, places, macro/flash, presets...arg)

I'm a still shooter, but am interested in experimenting with the movie features...a new toy, I love macro, perhaps some time lapse shots might be fun...and, the price point is pretty nice.

As for the 7D...pure heaven if it had an Articulated screen...besides macro I shoot sports, surfing and auto racing...with 2 CPUs, the new AF, 8fps and movies...damn tough choice, if I didn't shoot siting down, the 7D would be my primary; my 40D by it's side...

Jerry

EOS-3(2) & EOS 40D (w/drives), EF-S 10-22, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 50 f1.4, EF 100 Macro, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 1.4x Extender II, EF 12mm & 25mm Ext Tubes, EX 580 II(2), Bogen supports (tri, mono and super clamps, ball & tilt heads), Kata-84 & Domke Brick10 (storage), Domke F2 (Daily; original/1978)
Dell Latitude e6500, Lightroom, DXO & various plugins; Canon FD Collector - Fav kit, T-90 w/200mm f4 macro, ML-3 Ring Lite...Fuji Velvia 50 (film)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 am 

Hi Jerry,

May I offer you a warm welcome to our CameraLabs community.

You make some excellent points about the 60D. I'm as sure as I can be that it's an excellent camera and I think it's fair to say that all the fuss is down to the fact that Canon has split its old semi-pro APS-C line into two different strands and that, sadly, has left current xxD owners wanting to upgrade being faced with a slightly more expensive camera than they had hoped for (the 7D) unless they are willing to compromise a little to get the video, swivel screen etc. In a couple of years time when the 7D Mark II and the 70D are released the current discussion will be long forgotten.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:06 pm 
I approve of Gordon's rant.

Also: Here's a video worth watching about the durability of a polycarbonate plastic DSLR : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:41 pm 

* Behind ya on that rant Gordon :D

I honestly don't get the hate about the 60D all over the web. (Well i do but still).

For someone like me, this is perfect. While this wasn't exactly on my list of models to look into (budget wise), i might make a run at it instead of a T2i.

Having sold my 30D a year ago, I've been searching for the perfect replacement. I sold the 30D primarily because i wanted live view, HD video, & an articulated screen (and well just a new cam overall since it was old and half broken). After re-searching and testing countless contenders (super zooms to DSLR's), the 60D oddly has everything i was looking for. It is a tad out of my price range, but i may be able to stretch the budget for one. I can't wait till it comes out, it will be nice to return to the EOS family. I love the feel of a nice EOS and the main rear control dial is so comfortable to navigate with :D.

Last edited by JonAvalon on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:46 pm 

+1 to Gordon's rant :)

Anyway, similar thing's happened in the Nikon line in the last few years, The D40 came and then its successor was the D60 because, actually, there was the D50 that was (sort of) the D40's predecessor, AFAIK, nobody complained.

In fact, a bit later, Nikon ditched the DXX nomeclature from its entry level line because the successors of the D60 were the D3000 and the D5000, probably because there also was the venerable D70 and they couldn't use that name again. :D

But that's not all! The D90's successor it's rumoured to be called the D7000 (Yes, you got it, there WAS a Nikon camera called D100 before the D90 :lol: )

Come on people, who cares about how it's called? I think the 60D is bound to be a great body and has an impressive array of features for its intended market, as Gordon says: Not enough for you? Well then, go for the 7D or the 5DMk2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:04 pm 

Why Ike, whatever do you mean? does this mean we can't be friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:26 pm 
Who is Ike? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 pm 

people are upset because the XXD line went from prosumer to consumer. i think that's very understandable why they're upset. :twisted:
The Rebels are great for their market segment. What I have an issue with is that the xxD line has been dumbed down. It looks like the mother of all rebels, and i think thats what it is..(i'm fine with that its just the name)

Gordon Laing you said "the real upgrade path was now the 7D" but on canonusa.com canon says the 7d is "A Whole New Class of EOS" so let me get this right, by canon the 7d is a new line right? but you say its the 50d upgrade. looks like some line jumping going on here, let me get my side walk chalk so i can join in too. I think if they would have named it any thing else it would have went over fine.

As for the rant
you said " kind of post we'd expect to see on other forums, not this one" why get mad? If you get 200 people or members online talking,(and i'm sure you have way more then that. ) they will not always see eye to eye with each other or you all the time. So why rant? its to be expected :shock: I don't think any one is mad about the camera really just where canon placed it(by its name). Thats my opinion, i hope i don't start any rants over this :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:25 am 

"Who is Ike? "
go watch the movie tombstone (1993) then you'll understand .... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 am 

I think the greatest reason why people are upset is because they HAVE an xxD serie, waited to upgrade to the 60D, but the 60D isnt a prosomer camera any more. Their upgrade becomes now much more expensive to the 7D.
Thankfully the 7D isnt that new anymore, so the price has dropped a bit too, but it is almost twice the price of a 50D last year, and if the 60D was an upgrade to the 50D, the upgrade 30/40/50D wasnt that expensive.
Now if you want to upgrade is the 7D the only way.

I think that's the problem.

Cant understand why they removed AF Micro Ajust still.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:18 am 

Thank-you Gordon! I love my 50D and can't wait to try out/ read your review of the 60D

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm 

Maybe it's as simple as Canon use different AF motors and the one in the 60D isn't as good as the ones on the higher-end models and as such they didn't add the feature. Who knows, it's a mystery why any companies puts out the kind of products the do at whatever price/feature level.

I think my 500D is still plenty for what I need, BUT I need something much better for video and the 60D doesn't seem to be it. Thinking a NEX-5 as for the money, it really is hard to beat for what I need it for, except it doesn't have a mic input :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next