Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 am 
Thanks Gordon..I'm preparing some video, the results look good so far :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, my EOS 60D is progressing nicely and I have some preview comparisons and video for you!

NEW High ISO Noise results compared to EOS 50D!

See Canon EOS 60D vs EOS 50D High ISO Noise.

I've also started a page with HD video samples. Just one for now, but more will follow:

See Canon EOS 60D HD Movie samples.

I'll post a couple of high ISO sample images on flickr soon too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, as promised, here's two sample images you can download from flickr, taken at 800 and 1600 ISO. Both were taken with the EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM at 24mm. The first was handheld, the second on a tripod.

Canon EOS 60D sample image by Cameralabs, on Flickr

Canon EOS 60D sample image by Cameralabs, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 am 

pictures look great, can you post up the same pic's with the shooting info, like to download and read all info. these are all blank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 am 
Site Admin

All the shooting info should be provided at flickr - just click the bit which says "This photo was taken xx ago using a Canon EOS 60D."

I just tried downloading the original from flickr and the EXIF data appears to be intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 am 

I checked out Gordon's test shots, and what he had to say about the differences in image processing between the 50D and the 60D, and Canon's intentions seem clear:

Canon isn't expecting 60D users to get fancy with the post-processing. They're making the 60D for serious users, but not for the ones who own Photoshop and use it without fail for every one of their pics. Hence, the ability to edit raw in the 60D. It's there if you need to work in raw, but Canon is clearly only expecting 60D users to do it occasionally.

About a month ago I met a women who does weddings here in Japan; she works for a company. She too is a Canon user, and I asked her about what she uses and how she uses it. She said she uses a 50D and the jpg images go straight from the camera to the company, which are then printed without being processed, and sold to the wedding couple for hundreds of dollars.

I was a little shocked - no raw, no Photoshop? She said it was all because they're supposed to be candid shots, and should look that way. However, I suspect there is a person at the company who does fiddle with the pictures in Photoshop when need be, but she was unaware of it.

She is the very person Canon is targeting with the 60D. It's lighter, smaller, and lends itself to better jpgs right out of the camera - just as Gordon's photos show.

Look at the 7D, that metal body is overkill for a wedding. As is the size. As is the shooting speed. Canon clearly made the 7D for shooters of Sport and wildlife. They get the advantage of a crop frame, crazy fast speed, and the 7D can handle getting banged against a mono-pod with its metal body.

This is all just my take on the matter, and speculation completely, but I think Canon thinks in terms of a camera for user niches. Another example are videographers. Canon was aiming the 60D at them with that articulated screen.

Back in the day - not too many years ago - we thought in terms of pro and non-pro cameras. A pro would buy the top of the line 8000 dollar body, no matter what they shot. Why? Because that's what a pro needs - the best. But that seems to have changed. People are now buying what they need, and Canon is making a camera for that niche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:40 am 

yes gordon i was able to download the original image, now looking at these sample images i have a few questions on your 7d review i see you have the 2 same pictures ,both iso 800 and 1600 with 24-105mm but i can't download them. what are your thought's 60d vs 7d being there both 18 mp and you shot both camera's with 24-105mm. (noise level) is it just me or does the 60d look slightly better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 pm 
First look video of the 60D! It's nowhere near as good as Gordon's..but consider this a starter ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43MrK6SHcs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi RAW1, I've only recently started providing original images to download - they weren't available on my 7D review, sorry.

BUT I can tell you the image quality and default processing styles on the 550D / T2i, 60D and 7D are essentially the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm 
I think RAW1 is referring to the problem with EXIF data I mentioned here. Suddenly you cannot extract EXIF data from photos posted here in the threads with Firefox add-ons that are capable of doing this. Now you have to go to the Flickr site to see this information which is a considerable hassle. They even strip the EXIF from all the smaller instances of the photo than the original. I don't know what their thinking is. From photos in forum threads stored on sites like Photobucket or Imageshack you can still extract the EXIF. Currently not so with photos stored on Flickr.

Pretty annoying.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ah I see. Well flickr understandably wants you to visit their site which is why it may feature more details there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 am 

gordon why don't you use the camera labs web site to host you all your pictures, put you a folder in your ftp i would think that would be a lot easier + you keep all your stuff in house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Great idea RAW-1 - only one snag though - you gonna pay my hosting bills?

Cameralabs is hosted on a dedicated server where bandwidth is paid per GB. If I hosted original files here, it would cost me a small fortune (not to mention place the server under greater load) and make the business uneconomical. Flickr is a great compromise because it lets me host full res images, while also promoting the site to others who may not come across it otherwise. In fact it's not a compromise at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 pm 
Gordon> great shots ! :!:

Pfew! This Canon makes me think .... I'll have to think/test/play with it.

Question is : 550d or 60d ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

PS - a new video added to my samples page showing manual exposure and focusing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next