Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:07 am 
Nick12984 wrote:
SoccerandDMB wrote:
Also, the EF will be able to use on a full frame sensor, while the EF-S will not.

Daniel

Is the EF lens better then the EF-S :?: Or does that just refer to sensor size?

Nick

I think it depends on your future if you really want to go FF or not. If I am not mistaken, the EF-S 17-85 on a crop camera like the XTi (1.6x crop factor) should be the same focal range you have mentioned on the EF 28-135 on FF. Full explanation of EF-S can be found at wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:16 am 
Wow, very helpful information that I never realized. Thanks, so just so I understand, there would be no real difference between the EF 28-135mm and the EF-S 17-85mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 am 
SoccerandDMB wrote:
Wow, very helpful information that I never realized. Thanks, so just so I understand, there would be no real difference between the EF 28-135mm and the EF-S 17-85mm?

No problem. :) Well, if you bought the EF 28-135 and put it on the Xti, you still need to take into the 1.6x crop factor. That means the effective focal length is 44-216mm. It depends if it is wide enough for you or not (or long). The 1.6x crop factor needs to be considered for both EF-S and EF lenses for all crop cameras.

Hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:29 am 
Think I finally understand! Thanks.

Now it's just deciding on when to get the 28-135mm, or apparently an 18-200mm IS USM is going to be released in January. Is there anyway to know for certain what's going to be announced, or have there been any leaks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Canon is normally very tight-lipped...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:40 pm 
I had this same dilema a little bit ago. Choosing between the 17-85 and the 28-135 was hard not knowing anything about DSLR lenses. I went with the 28-135 and really like it. The main deciding factor was that they are readily available brand new with warranty cards on EBAY for around $300 (since the US 40D came with them a lot of people didnt need it).

Now that Im getting a feel for what I like I find that it isnt wide enough on my cropped body (400D/XTI). Im going to buy a wider lense eventually, But for now it is a great lense at a great price to learn with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 am 
I bought a extra lens hood and i will be buying a CPL filter, if i have a lens or hood or both on will i have any problems at all with focusing or anything else?

thanks, i think the lens should arrive after christmas, world be better if it came on christmas ;)

oh yeah and btw i would off defenetly went with the 28-135 but 28 is not wide enofe for the type of photography i do, if it was 18-135 would get it just like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 pm 
Yeah, i think that's the great advantage of DSLR is the able to change the lens. Each lens has a different purpose, it's pros and cons. Maybe you can invest in the wide angle lens later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:18 pm 
sooo?? will there be any problems if i put a filter on my lens ??? ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:25 pm 
I have had some slight vignetting at the end of the focal range with a UV filter, If I back in a few MM it goes away.. nothing major...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 am 
what do you mean by that :( doesn't sound good..

im planning to use a CPL filter and a Lens hood, if i have these on i should not have any problems? or will i :( ?

thanks.

btw i see this forum has grown quite and bit, i like this site alot very helpfull, good job gordon :lol: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm 
vingetting is a gradual darkening towards the corners of the photo. The filter adds length to the physical lense and blocks light into it, thus it darkens. It isnt too bad with my photos usually crop it right off.
There are a lot of things including the lens copy itself that may contribute. Other things like focal length, ISO, and shutter settings can contribute to it to some degree.

In my case I know it is the filter becuase I have tested it by taking the same shot at the same stop, focal length, etc.. with and without the filter. Without the filter the vingetting isnt there. (Im using a Hoya UV filter). In some cases stopping down fixes this, however it isnt always ideal to do that.