Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:26 pm 
I was just about ready to purchase a new 40D for $1,158.00 when I happened upon "Broadwayphoto.com". They are advertising the 40D (body only of course) for $879.00 and I thought $1,158.00 was a good price. Broadwayphoto.com is even throwing in a free tripod, cleaning kit, & LCD protector. Yes, it comes with a 1-year warranty, and yes the shipping is included. Should I be concerned or is everyone else just looking to make a killing on this product? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 pm 

Hi Realtor1,

You will be glad you asked if you check out this Reseller Ratings report. :shock:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 pm 
Very interesting! The site I saw didn't have any reviews period as if I were potentially the first customer. What about US1Camera? They were the ones I was planning on purchasing from in the first place. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:20 pm 
i bought my 30d from tristate and they were about $100 cheaper than anywhere else..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm 

Realtor1 wrote:
Very interesting! The site I saw didn't have any reviews period as if I were potentially the first customer. What about US1Camera? They were the ones I was planning on purchasing from in the first place. Thanks

Go on - check it yourself. :idea: You know you can. :lol: :lol: :lol: You might even like the result. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 pm 
Bob, I did check the ratings, but it left me feeling apprehensive. I'm not sure I can trust that rating system now, because even Broadwayphoto.com had some rating remarks that were quite good, so either they're entering their own biased rating remarks or the people making the remarks are gulliable idiots. So is it possible US1Camera just dedicates more time to making their own positive rating remarks (because they do have some pretty bad remarks mixed in), or is their service just that up and down.

What I was hoping for was a response from someone who'd actually purchased from US1Camera, obviously you have not. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:10 pm 
When it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

I would be extremely suspicious on any non-trivial price deviation from the following sites:

amazon
adoroma
B&H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm 

Realtor1 wrote:
...What I was hoping for was a response from someone who'd actually purchased from US1Camera, obviously you have not. :?:

You are right, I'm afraid. Being based in the UK I prefer to purchase my high value items over here. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment directly but you can probably guess my thoughts about some of the online stores in the USA. Perhaps the best advice I can give is to check the prices with our affiliate stores - no obligation to buy, of course, though if you do so it helps support CameraLabs, as does price checking with our PriceGrabber engine. The reason I suggest this is that if you see a store offering the same goods at a really significantly lower price then, as blahsome says "when it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true".

Sorry I can't be of more direct help. :(

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:01 pm 
I'm in the same boat as Bob.

Any expensive electronic equipment like the Canon 40D, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L or SL 580 MK II was bought at the best price in the UK.

Also, Canon UK has a cashback, so this helps.

I bought all of my stuff from a single dealer who could not be matched but the non-electronic stuff like the Gitzo tripod I will get in the US. This price could not be matched.

Simply because I can wait until April and mostly the price in £'s in the UK is also the same in $'s in the US for the tripood and head etc.

Also bare in mind that you will have to pay 6% state tax and HRCE (Custom and Excise). So add another 25% on top of the price and the UK price isn’t so bad.

My advice, buy the body, lens etc in the UK with a UK warranty.

I paid for the Canon 40D - £730 - 3% (as I did a money transfer) and I get a cashback of £50. Total was: £653.10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:00 am 

G wrote:
...My advice, buy the body, lens etc in the UK with a UK warranty...

Looking his posts in this thread it's my guess, as if the name wasn't clue enough, that Realtor1 isn't based in the UK so I don't think he's likely to be coming over here to buy his kit. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:42 am 
May be but then again may be not.

He didn't say he is from the US, but probably is.

I've dealt with B+H so my vote is with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm 
Correct Answer: U.S.A.

Thanks for all your help, I'm getting closer to a purchase!
Geez this is worse than when I purchased my High Def Television. I think the manufactureres try to confuse us on purpose, so that we'll have to purchase twice as much stuff in order to eventually get what we want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:19 pm 
Are you going for the body only or the complete body and standard lens? sounds like the body and standard lens.

It doesn't often stop with just a body and lens.

Yeah I know what you mean. The specs for any electronic kit is endless. And then you have the fun (not) of comparing.

It's nearly as bad as buying a house, hoping you have made the right choice and don't see a better one week later - well nearly as bad hehehe.

If you want any advice on some little "must have" essentials post back.

The Canon 40D is amazing. But Nikon make equally great cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:52 pm 
I'm going for the body only and a couple seperate lenses...sigma 10-20mm and sigma 18-200mm. I really want the wide angle lens, but I think the 18-200mm will be a good all purpose lens for my wife to use.

Home shopping can be similar (if you don't have a good realtor). This forum and the camera lab website in general have really been great I just wish all you bloody blokes weren't sleeping while I'm researching!

I looked into the Nikons, but it seems that the 200 isn't quite as nice as the 40D and the 300 isn't quite as cheap as the 40D.

Here is my list of what I assume to be "must haves", but please let me know if I'm missing anything, and thanks in advance: highspeed compact flash memory card, high speed memory card reader, digital LSR capable camera bag, lens cleaning kit, & view screen protectors.

I'm not sure if these items are "must haves", but I'm sure they'd come in handy: battery grip and an additional battery, and a speed light.

The Battery grip sure seems expensive. I was shocked to discover it didn't actually include the batteries! The speed light also is a bit pricey, is it absolutely neccesary to purchase the canon brand (430 EX) or can I get away with a lesser brand on this item? Does anyone even make an alternative (non-Canon) battery grip or speedlight for the 40D? Thanks a million, I'm sure I'll be sleeping before you reply. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 pm 

Hi Realtor1,

Personally I don't use a view screen protector or a battery grip but I regard the second battery as a "must have". The 40D is pretty light on its battery but it's always comforting to have a fully charged spare in the "digital LSR capable camera bag". :idea:

Bob.