Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: cannon xti lenses
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:18 pm 
im thinking of buying a canon xti (well really im between the nikon d40x and the cannon xti but right now im focusing on the xti) and ive read the kit lenses just arent that great. im looking at macro, wide angle/landscape, and a good zoom lens. so im trying to figure out what is a good quality (doesnt have to be amazing or pro but something thats going to last a long time and take great photos) average costing lens i could look at getting? and about how much would it cost? i dont want something cheapy but i dont want to spend like as much on the lens as i did the camera.

im really a beginner as far as lenses go so i basically have no idea where to start as far as reseach or anything goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 pm 

Hi Katie

I had replied when you posed this question under your original 40dx v 400d thread - but you may have missed it so here it is again!

Sounds like we're going through a very similar experience. I have swayed between the D80 (too expensive), the D40x (don't like the control menus), the E-510 (a wide angle lenses is over £1,000!) and the Canon 400d.

I keep coming back to the 400d. It seems pretty perfect for my needs, and only some unexpected bills have prevented me rushing out and buying it. But it seems that a lot of people don't like it simply because it isn't a Nikon (thats not people on here , but those in shops!) It doesn't help when my barber has just bought a D80 and told me it was the best thing since sliced bread, and a German tourist on the Tube in London also told me to get a D80 (that wasn't you Thomas was it!?!)

As far as lenses go, Thomas has mentioned that Sigma do a wide angle zoom. They do a variety of them, and I have earmarked a 10-20mm option, which sells in the UK for about £290. Canon have also released a 55-250 mm lens with image stabiliser (IS) which will retail in the UK at £220.

So, the lense options for both the Nikon and Canon ranges are potentially a lot cheaper than the E510. I hope that helps.

I am forced now to wait a few months before I buy, so I am hoping that the 400d will come down in price further in the meantime.

Hope some of that helps Katie! let me know how it goes!

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:51 am 
Hi.
Michael - I (of course) don't agree, Canon is as good as Nikon, everyone has his own favorite one. The 400D is a great camera and you'll enjoy it very much. Rumors say that the 450D (probably this will be name) will be announced early next year so the price of the 400D will probably drop.

Katie - you didn't say what you want from your new lens/lenses, you said you want wide angle, macro and zoom, which is pretty much everything...
Do you want 1 lens, maybe 2? How wide? How much macro?
If you want a simple 1 lens, I think the Sigma 18-200 OS can be suitable. It's not great, but should be good enough (I have no experience with it).
If you want a very wide angle, you can go for the Sigma 12-24 or Canon 10-22, for great macro you have the Canon 100mm macro. But here the price is much higher

And there are a lot more, depends on how much you want to spend.
You can read good reviews on almost any lens in: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Liron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 am 

Hi Katie,

While the standard Rebel XTi EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, as Gordon says in his review, "performs surprisingly well for its price" you can do better. The EF-S 17-85mm f4~5.6 IS USM is mentioned in that review and also has its own separate review here. If budget permits you can buy the XTi with the 17-85mm lens as a kit for just under $1100 - check out this Amazon.com page as an example. By the way, in the "used and new" section one merchant is offering a price that seems ridiculous but I believe if you look closely that price is for the standard kit lens! 18mm (29mm full-frame equivalent) should be wide enough for most of your landscape shots unless you want to go extreme with a 10-22mm zoom.

As Michael suggests, the EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS might be a lens to watch out for but I have not seen any reviews yet and I'm not even sure it has been launched in North America.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:37 am 
thanks for your replys. im really new to lenses and i feel embaressed to ask this question but i was wondering if someone could give me a quick run down about choosing lenses and knowing what your getting. basically i was wondering if someone could quickly explain differnet sizes to me. like, i understand a 35mm and everything but does that mean the size of the lens? if anyone understands what im asking and could help i would appreciate it alot and i think it would really help me with researching and deciding what lenses would be good.

also... i did a fast google search and read that this lens is a great lens to start out with. what do you think? would it be good to add onto the kit lenses or get it instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:16 am 

Hi Katie,

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post to make the words "this lens" into a hyperlink so that I could remove the very long URL which was defeating the normal browser window line wrapping. Click the "Edit2 button in your post to see how I did it. It's an easy technique once you get the hang of it. 8)

As to your question, most of us wrinklies started out with 35mm film cameras and 50mm lenses. Of course, on an XTi with its 1.6x FOVCF the 50mm lens you mention has the field of view of an 80mm lens. While this is a classic portrait focal length I think you might find it a bit restrictive for everyday use. It would be a great second lens to have, though, if you are into portraiture as the fast f-number allows you to achieve a shallow depth of field to isolate your subject from the background if that is what you need. Cambridge in Colour has quite a nice tutorial on Depth of Field here.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:06 am 
thanks for fixing that for me, ill deffinatly do that from now on.

when i found that lens i also went on the canon website and picked out a few i thought would be good. i decided i deffinatly want something compact and not long and heavy.
Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Lens

and for a zoom/wide angle,
Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens

also i was wondering, is it better to buy say a canon or nikon lens than a third party lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:41 am 

Hi Katie

Those sound like sensible choices:

The fixed 50mm lense will give better performance generally than a zoom, and has wider aperture, so it should give a softer focus - as Bob has already said I notice!

With lenses on the 400d, and all DSLRs cameras with a smaller sensor, the focal lengths aren't actually what 'they say on the tin'. You need to multiply them by 1.6 to get their 35mm equivalent. So your 50mm lens will actually be approx 66mm in 35mm equivalent terms

I say this because your wide angle/zoom choice lens will be 35mm equivalent to 47-225mm. This isn't particularly wide angle, so if you want to take sweeping landscapes or city scapes, you may want to look at lens that starts its range at 18mm or lower.

As for the ranges of lenses from 3rd parties, there are no hard and fast rules anymore. You tend to get more choice of IS lens from Canon but there is not a guarantee that the manufacturers lense will perform better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am 
Hello Katie,

Understanding the technical side of camera and lens, like anything new, can be overwhelming. But the more you read the more it will start to sink in. Then you will be more informed and make the best choices.

Lens come in all shapes and sizes. The long telescopic (expensive), to the short lens and prime lenses.

No lens will completely fit the bill. You can get one that can cover a range from 24-105mm but it would not be as good as two dedicated lenses that cover this range. It comes down to how much you want to pay. The Canon L series lens are the best but they are expensive.

Also, the more lenses you have the more lens changes you will have to carry out and the greater the chances of dust censor contamination.

I would suggest for the time being deciding what sort of pictures you want to take i.e., landscape, portrait etc and try and get one that accommodates them all.

Once you get the hang of the camera and what you can do with the lens etc, may be later you can consider other lens.

I would say that the typically route for any newcomers to DSLR (including myself) is to get one lens, and then later get other lenses.

As the 400D has a 1.6x FOCV (smaller than 35mm) the short range of the lens will be longer (so close ups won't be as close as they could be with a 1.0 FOCV body) and extra long for the long end of the lens. This can have an advantage as it will mean a 24-105mm lens has a range beyond 105mm (by a actor of 1.6 or 166mm while the short end (24mm will be 38-39mm)). So a 24-105mm lens on a 400D body will have an effective range of 38/39–68mm.

The 400D will be upgraded soon, so you may want to use the time before its release saving up and having the benefit of the latest improvements that are available on more expensive Canon bodies such as the 40D. Alternatively, you can wait for the new 400D to be released and then get the 400D cheaper. But the difference in price doesn't always warrant the wait.

If it were me I would wait for the new 400D (lets call it the Canon 450D) buy the body only and get a dedicated good-quality general-purpose lens.

You cannot put a Nikon lens on a Canon body and you cannot put a Canon lens on a Nikon body, but company’s (third-party lens companies) will be able to accommodate.

Ideally go with a Canon lens, but if not go Sigma.

Before you make any decision post again so we can hep more.

Whether you purchase a Nikon or Canon you will be a happy snapper. They are both tip-top in body and lens.