Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:44 pm 
Hi, everyone was really helpful with my first post and i came to the decision of buying a Canon EOS 400D as my first DSLR!

However... as my parents are buying the camera, they have offered to pay the bit extra for a 40D and a lens, if i were to buy my own lenses with the money i get from my new part time job.

Naturally i said YES, but i just wondered if i would be able to use a 40D as easily, being a complete beginner, as i'll be teaching myself as i go kind of thing. Also, has anyone got an idea about what kind of lens would be good general lens to get with it until i earn enough to expand my collection. I will be using it for family stuff and general 'obsessed picture taker' stuff to begin with if that helps?

any suggestions will be appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 pm 

retrofire wrote:
...I just wondered if i would be able to use a 40D as easily, being a complete beginner...

In my opinion it is easier to use than the 400D. :shock: More options can be changed without delving into the menus and it still has the various scene presets (landscape, portrait etc.) which mean you don't have to get "hands on" with aperture and exposure settings until you are ready.

After handling both cameras to make sure there are no major comfort issues and if it's in budget I would say "go for it" as you are very unlikely to outgrow the 40D quickly whereas with the 400D... :wink:

Bob.

P.S. Hope you don't mind my moving your post but now that you have settled on a Canon I think you will get the best response here.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:50 pm 
Hey. I just went for the 40D as my first DSLR and I'm really happy with it. Although I prefer the size of the 400D, the 40D is a lot more useable in my opinion. The wheel & multi-stick on the back of the camera really help when changing settings. Also the customisable menu is a cool feature, but not sure if that's on the 400D also?

Go for it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:55 pm 
I have to agree with Bob, not least because I've just got a 40D myself, and I'm also a beginner in the field of SLR photography.

Just pick both up and have a go at taking some pics with each - I found that the 400D was a bit small for my hands, so that, and the fact that I didn't want to go down the route of wanting an upgrade a couple of years down the line, made my mind up.

Even though the 40D is a potentially daunting piece of kit, you can always stick it in fully auto, and use it almost as a point and shoot (you've even got live view for that authentic p&s framing experience! ;))

To be honest though, I've found myself mostly using aperture priority or even full manual, just because I can, and I want to learn from my experience of trying different things - sure I'll take a lot of really bad shots along the way, but it's not as if I'm wasting any money on film and processing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:53 pm 
If your parents are buying you the camera I would grab the 40D with both hands and run, are they buying you a body only or the 40D kit as you are in the UK the Kit includes the 17-85 IS USM which is a darn site better than the 400D Kit which is only the bog standard 18-55 and then with your part time job you can save up to get other lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:12 pm 
I agree with Bob too. Having had both the 400D and the 40D, I can say that the 40D is easier to come to grips to than the lower-entry model 400D. As Bob said, its functions are more easily accessible. Really well laid out. Go for it, it's a great camera.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 pm 
Here is my post as a newbie who went with the Canon 40D instead of the 400D or its successor.

http://tinyurl.com/ys4naj

I would recommend the Canon 40D.

The accessories I bought to go with it are first-class to.

If you need any advice, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 am 

Like has been previously stated - go and pick them up.

The 40D might just be a little to big for you, and when coupled with a grip, 2 batteries and a heavy lens, maybe it would be to big and heavy for your liking/needs.

On the other hand, the 400D (which I find a bit with my 350D) might be to small even with a grip and big lens attached, the body might just be to small and fiddly for you.

So yeah, pick both up, and if you have no gripes with either, go for the 40D!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:00 pm 
I have the following attached with two batteries in the Battery Grip.

The weight is fine.

The downside of a quite pick up and see is that their weight will seem more than if you use it all the time. In the end you will not notice the weight. Using a tripod makes this a moot point too.

Anyway, have a look at this from ThinkTank you will love it.

Go here: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php

Click on the Digital Holster 40. This is I one to have for my setup with 40D, battery grip and lens (hood reversed or not.)

Then get the DH harness and it will not bump along as you move. Nice and snug.

See image of the DH 40 and harness. I have them both and it is very comfortable and is excellent for going lite. You will have to find a way to carry an external flash though.

I have an image for you but I don't know how to upload it ;-(. Shame.

I've emailed the image to you :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:01 pm 
I too a beginner when I purchased a 400D in Feb 2007. I love this camera. There were some situations where I would be wanting more from the camera. I did end up selling the 400D and bought a 40D. I did lose some money on this but it's fully worth it with the pictures I've been able to get on the 40D so far. However, I do appreciate both cameras and really, you can't lose on either one of them.

BTW, the grip on the 400D i feel is a very good option to consider. Makes the whole thing a lot sturdier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:05 pm 

Hi ac55699,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

I followed the same route upgrading my 400D/XTi to a 40D and have absolutely no regrets. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:40 pm 
Hi, first i want to say thanks for all your help, i went to jessops for a feel of the camera's and they were quite helpfull, although sometimes i just wanted to say, yeah yeah yeah, i know all this from cameralabs!!

im hopefully going to be buying my first ever dlsr 40D this week!!
i feel like a little kid its stupid!

but anyway, he did say that he recommends a 17-85mm IS USM lens kit, i wondered if this seems the best option? he says it will do me for general purpose and will then only need to buy lenses for when i go into more particular photography like landscapes and macro etc, or whether hes just trying to sell me this because the kit comes to £959,( besides which ive found it on the net for £899 anyway!)

ALSO... to reply to "G", do you find that having a spare battery is crucial? because this would obviously add some considerable amount to the buying price, or would i get away with buying one later? because i havent got a clue how long they last... thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 pm 

retrofire wrote:
...I'm hopefully going to be buying my first ever dlsr 40D this week!!
i feel like a little kid its stupid!

but anyway, he did say that he recommends a 17-85mm IS USM lens kit, i wondered if this seems the best option? he says it will do me for general purpose and will then only need to buy lenses for when i go into more particular photography like landscapes and macro etc, or whether hes just trying to sell me this because the kit comes to £959,( besides which ive found it on the net for £899 anyway!)...

Nothing stupid about feeling like a big kid, though! :lol: Welcome to the club. 8) 8)

I think the 17-85mm IS USM lens is a great starter option when bundled with the 40D and I'm sure you have already seen Gordon's review. Although Jessops is a CameraLabs affiliate store so is Amazon.co.uk. If you click on that link and search for "EOS 40D Lens Kit" you will find that they sell it at £899.99 with free postage. Using our affiliate stores by following the links from CameraLabs you pay the same price but help to support the CameraLabs site. No obligation, of course, and Gordon would be the first to suggest you go for the best deal regardless of affiliate status. 8)

Bob.

Post subject: great!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:07 pm 
i was thinking about my dads wallet by looking elsewhere online, even though i have scoured the affiliate sites for comparison too, but £899 is the cheapest that ive found that kit anyway, meaning i can buy it through the jessops link :) , apparantly they have some kind of 5% off thing going on on the lens (only) using the cameralabs discount code, so im going to bargain for that as well by saying that i'll go to the other store otherwise...

(not that i would because cameralabs has helped so much i feel patriotic haha)

i'm going to talk to them now and hopefully i will soon be posting as a proud owner of a 40D! :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:24 pm 
I’m a newbie too but I got everything I thought I would need and at the best price, so I went for it.

The Canon 40D is tip-top. The body and lens come separate so make sure you do not get any dust, dog/cat hair inside the body or the lens itself. Just take your time. Read the manuals for a bit, relax and then put it together. There’s no need to rush and make an expensive mistake. It’s easy to do but it’s also easy to contaminate.

Yes I would get the Canon BG-E2N (Battery Grip).

It’s not absolutely necessary, but obviously you can shoot for longer, it has the advantage of making the centre of gravity closer to the camera body if you have a heavy lens but it also has a side grip with some buttons and a dial that changes settings on the 40D directly.

So yes, it is a good investment and the grip can be attached to a triode.

This is also what I would recommend you get.

These prices below cannot be beaten

B+W 77 mm Kaeseman Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) Glass Filter
Mfr# 65045620
Price: £120

B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter
Mfr# 66070252
Price: £60

Canon BP-511A Lithium-Ion Battery (3 off)
Price: £34

Canon BG-E2N
Price: £99

Pec-Pad Photo Wipes
Price: £6.50

Hama Lens Cleaning Pen
Price: £6.04

Q Ball blower
Price: £5.05

Let me know if you want any of the above and I will point you in the right direction.

Have fun :-)