Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: G9 sharpness
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:39 pm 
hello

G9 images posted on reviews on the net look so smooth

can you tell me please how to shoot in order to achieve maximum sharpness?

G9 has specific settings for it? is there any post-processing tricks that could be done? software-powered sharpenning?
is G9 maximum sharpness better than maximum sharpness of other cameras?

thanks

Post subject: Re: G9 sharpness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:04 am 

miller wrote:
can you tell me please how to shoot in order to achieve maximum sharpness?

Hi Miller,

The best way to achieve maximum sharpness is by shooting raw. Raw will allow you to have the most control over the final image. Shoot raw and then post process in something like ACR, Lightroom or other program that will handle the G9's raw files.

Don't get too carried away with sharpness though. There are many other aspects of choosing a compact camera to consider. Perhaps you could tell us about other cameras on your shortlist and then the other members can comment on the specific bodies you're looking at.

-steve

Post subject: Re: G9 sharpness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:23 pm 
seattlesteve wrote:
Perhaps you could tell us about other cameras on your shortlist and then the other members can comment on the specific bodies you're looking at.

-steve

my list is:

Canon G9
Canon SD950
Sony N2
Fuji F50fd
Panasonic FX100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:38 am 
the most sharp images I have seen are from Sony N2:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyN2/page4.shtml

they are very sharp, but Gordon says it's unnecessarily too much sharp, I don't know if I agree with this, but N2 sharpness makes me feel the image has much more detail

what I would like to ask is, the above comparison is made for the default sharpening settings of the cameras? I mean if I increase the sharpness of the Canon A640 I will get results similar or better than N2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 am 
Site Admin

What you see on the N2 is the effect of electronic sharpening, which you can apply to any image. Some cameras have settings where you can boost it, or you can do it on your computer afterwards. Too much sharpening can actually be a bad thing though - it looks unrealistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:08 am 
thanks for your reply

I tried to increase sharpness with Infraview and to adjust contrast and brightness with Photoshop but I didn't manae to do what I want:

to make the right part of this photo look like the left part:

the right part is from SD950 and the left from F50fd

the F50fd image is much more detailed, there are no gaps in the lines of the letters, numbers etc in comparison with SD950, the F50fd produces more pure and intense black

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 am 

Hi miller,

It's difficult to know what we are seeing in your image above. Could you post 100% unprocessed crops, with no further file compression, of the same area from the two images as originally stored by the two cameras. It would also help if you can give us an idea of what camera settings were used for each image (from memory you can discover this by checking the image data via Photoshop's File menu). ISO is an important one and it would really help to know the file sizes of the JPEG images from each camera so we can judge the degree of compression already applied by the camera.

Also, I am considering moving this thread to the Imaging Software forum. Do you see this thread as still being Canon specific or more to do with image processing?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm 
both crops are shoot at the same settings, same ISO 100, same megapixels, etc

here are the exifs of each shot:

SD950
F50fd

it's about image processing, but I am interested in G9 as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:11 pm 

Hi miller,

Thanks for posting the extra information. While I try to avoid the site from which you downloaded the pictures (they actively block links to CameraLabs so why should I support them by hitting their web pages?) I had a look at the originals. Given the difference in resolution there is no way, in my opinion, that you could use image processing to get the SD950 crop to look like the F50fd one. Photoshop is good but silk purses out of sow's ears it cannot do. :twisted:

As to whether the SD950 image is a fair reflection of the camera's abilities, I'm afraid I have no idea. Bear in mind that the camera settings were not identical and then there is the uncertainty over how much "in camera" processing was performed. In particular, the Powershot's lens was being worked harder at f/4 than the Fujifilm's f/5.6.

Looking at the list of cameras you are considering I would favour the G9 and might well buy one in the near future to carry with me when my 40D is not convenient. Personal needs vary, of course, but I would use that camera as the benchmark by which to judge the others. If you haven't already done so then why not check out Gordon's G9 review and video tour. :idea:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:51 pm 
thanks for your reply

I didn't know about this website, I apologize

the difference in resolution must be false, since both shots are 12MP, am I right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm 

miller wrote:
...the difference in resolution must be false, since both shots are 12MP, am I right?

Given both camera's support the same pixel resolution then I have to believe that the difference in resolution is either down to operator error, poor focusing, a poor lens or poor processing by the camera's CPU.

Bob.