Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 am 
Ok, I have a brand new 400D. I have been tweaking it all week and I have every thing set up just right. The one problem I am having is that after I take a photo the preview on the LCD is a great exposure, but after I download it! Too dark by more than 1½ or 2 stops.

I hope I have not missed something simple! Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kungfuflavor, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Sadly you can't always trust the screen. Maybe it's too bright or too dark, or maybe the surroundings were bright or dark. The only way to really tell is to play your image back and press the DISP button to show the histogram - check your manual to find out how to read this graph...

Also makes sure your metering is set to Evaluative and you're in an Auto mode like Program.

The 400D does famously slightly underexpose though - see this example:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/page4.shtml

So many people shoot with it set to +0.3 or +0.7 EV...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:28 pm 
Another thing you might want to consider is whether your PC's LCD/monitor needs calibration.

Post subject: Thanks' got it!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 am 
Thanks guys on your input. I used all of the advise above and narrowed it down to a comfortable setting. I know it will never be perfect but the closer the better. The real
Deal was when I was at the folks house showing them some new picks from my new 400D, I could see right away that my monitor was set somewhat too dark and rich. The difference between the two was noticeable immediately.

Now I will invest in one of those gizmos to make sure my monitor will be set up properly now.

Thanks guys

Kung-Fu Flavor