Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:22 am 
Hi,
I've been investigating wireless E-TTL flash photography for multiple flash use to give me more lighting options for sports (mountain bike) shots.

The first prize seems to have a master-capable flash unit like the Speedlite 580EX but these don't come cheap :cry: . I then came across the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 - does anyone own it or have experience using it?

What I can't establish is if the transmitter has to have direct line-of-sight with the 'slave' flash or if it's IR pulse will be detected within more practical, broader area. I'm thinking of situations where you would want to set up the slave flash to side-light the subject etc. (I'm wondering if branches etc. would block the signal.)

It looks like the outdoor transmission range for the ST-E2 is 3.5-5m, with coverage of about 40° horizontal and 30° vertical.

Thanks,
Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:06 am 
Anything IR needs to have line of site. If it were used radio waves, this would not be the case.

Any obstructions could cause problems with IR. The only way to find out is to set it up how you want it and see what happens.

I haven't got multiple external flashes or the transmitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:14 am 

From this review "used indoors, direct line of sight is often not required as the light bounces from walls and other objects to reach the flash units". In the context of the review the light referred to is the IR signal.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:09 am 
Yes but it would not work under the scenario posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:38 am 

I use the ST-E2 with two 580EX flashes for indoor portraits and stock work. It works beautifully and gives my much greater freedom of movement. I have used the ST-E2 outdoor's too, but the flash has been mounted directly above on a flash bracket so although technically it's not in the line of sight it still fired perfect each time. Now, all that being said I still rely on the off camera cord when doing paid work, just in case. :wink:

I image that you'll set up one flash on each side of the trail and as the biker comes through you'll trigger the flash. I think your scenario would work as long as you're not too far from each flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:42 am 
thanks all.
I'm going to start by getting a off-camera cord and then test the ST-E2 to see if it works outdoors for my needs.