Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What lens should i get?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:18 am 
Hi guys, sorry for asking all these question's lately but i want to make the right pick with buying my new lens...

well i have the basic 18-55 and a 75-300 which i also got with my XTI

I was at a camera store talking to the sales person a couple days ago, i was interested in tamron 18-250mm lens but then he said it doesn't have IS and you will probley be required to use a tri-pod...
He showed me the Sigma lens 18-200 and a few others, it has IS so im leaning towards this lens...

do you guys recommend any good lenses for the xti? im looking for high zoom, 150 and up...

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:35 am 
Hi again 1exotic.
Don't worry about the questions, it's fun to help :D

I had 2 lenses kit on my film SLR and bought the Tamron 18-200 with my 350D becuase I didn't want to change lenses all the time.

The 18-200 is nice but have some problems (mainly focusing speed, resolution and focusing on low light). The 18-250 should be much better than mine.

The main questions are: what is most important to you? And what is your budget?
If you're looking for 1 versatile lens, maybe the Sigma or the Tamron is your solution, I don't know much about the Sigma but you can read a good review here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_18200_3563os/index.htm
and about the Tamron here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_18250_3563_canon/index.htm

I decided that the resolution and fast focusing is most important to me so I'm splitting my range into 2 lenses again: Canon EF-S 17-55 USM IS (hope to buy it this or next week) and later probably the Canon EF 70-200L f/4 USM (with or without IS).
Of course, these lenses are excellent but also quite expensive.

Liron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:45 pm 
wow thanks...

My budget it around 500 dollars internet money :D

ill buy my lens online like i could buy a 900 dollar lens for around 500 on ebay or something...

so my budget is around 500..

The sigma 18-200 sounds good to me.

Im looking for something that takes sharp picture's and is pretty fast at focusing, i dont want any telephoto lens or any wide angle just a regular one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm 
Be aware that lenses with such a wide focal range as 18-200mm will not be as sharp as lenses that have a smaller focal range (for products that are made for the same target market). Also, chromatic aberrations and distortions are inevitable - although high end zooms, such as Canon's "L" series, have special elements to try and correct those problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi 1exotic, further to what the others have said, if you want fast focusing on a Canon-branded lens, go for one with USM. This refers to the type of focusing motor, and USM are their fastest and quietest models...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:46 am 
The 28-135 lens from Canon is a very good one that im looking at now.

There is no review on it here, but does anyone have any experience with this lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:56 pm 

Hi 1exotic,

I used the 28-135 IS for a long time and really enjoyed using it. It had great range, good image quality and good build. Each person has there own preference about zoom range and I mainly shoot at the long end of standard zooms so the 28-135 suit my style well. Others will argue that the 28mm just isn't wide enough on a cropped body like the XTi. It just depends on your shooting style.

There's another lens that has mixed reviews that might work for you especially if you find yourself shooting wide more often. The Canon 17-85 IS was specifically made for cameras like your XTi. Gordon has a review of that lens on the site.

You should be able to find either of those lenses for your budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 pm 
I did most of my research using this site as my benchmark. It is tip-top.

Here's the lens review link for the Canon 28-135...

"If you are looking for a good value 28mm-something zoom lens and your budget limits you to the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens' price range, look no farther. The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens provides a great focal length range, reasonably sharp images and IS at a decent price point and in a relatively small package. This is a very popular lens - and for good reasons."

http://tinyurl.com/53qhq

For all Canon Zoom lenses click on the lens image.

http://tinyurl.com/4r792

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm 

1exotic wrote:
The 28-135 lens from Canon is a very good one that im looking at now.

If you haven't read it already there is a good review of the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM at PhotoZone.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.