Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am 
Hello there,

Please can anyone offer any suggestions for a uv/protective filter for a canon ef-s 10-22.

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who uses uv/protective filters with a wide angle lens, what they use, and how they get on with them, in terms of vignetting.

Thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 am 

I use a regular Hoya HMC filter on my Sigma 10-20 (77mm), and it does not vignette at all. However, every lens is different. Is there a filter you can borrow to test this with your lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm 
Hi Citruspers,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any experience of uv filters and have not been able to borrow any unfortunately - pity, it would be very helpful.

I'm interested in the Hoya HMC and they were the ones I was going to go for on account of their price and also their good reviews. They seem a good balance between cost and quality.

However, a shop assistant the other day advised me on the more expensive but slimmer Pro-1 or HD's and I don't know whether it was just a sales pitch or sound advice. He said that as they were slimmer vignetting wouldn't be an issue whereas the HMC would cause some at the wide end.

I was then going to go with the Pro-1 but spoke with someone else from a different store and they said the Pro-1 would also cause vignetting on my 10-22. They advised just to take it off when using it at the widest setting.

If that's going to be the case, I think the Hoya HMC would be a better option but I don't know. I'd just be really interested to learn how other people (like yourself) have fared.

Many thanks.

Last edited by salmon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm 

Wow, a salesman trying to sell you a more expensive product, what a surprise :lol:

Yes, a non-slim filter CAN in theory produce vignetting on an ultrawide, but it completely depends on the lens. an option would be to let the salesman demonstrate the effect to you, with your camera and your lens, and let him put the UV filter on it. Take a shot, examine it. Does it look good to you: get the cheaper filter. Looks bad? Get the slim one :)

I'd skip the pro1 series, they're easier to clean, but you won't see any difference in your photos. A multicoated one is all you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 pm 
Quote:
Wow, a salesman trying to sell you a more expensive product, what a surprise

You're right about that!

I'd like to go in store with my lens but don't have any stores nearby so just have to ring for advice and then order online.

Think I will go for the HMC version unless I come across anything else to sway me in the meantime.

Thank you for your help Citruspers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm 
Hi

I have exactly that same lens and I use a Canon filter, it produces no vignetting at all. However, this filter is not slim at all, and if you put another filter on top of it (like a polarizer), then you will get some vignetting.

I would recommend you to get one of Hoya's slim (or ultra-slim) UV filter for that lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:13 pm 

If murdock's right, and a regular filter does not vignette, I'd definitely get the regular filter. Not only is it cheaper, but you'll also retain the ability to put on your lens cap (something that's often not possible with slim filters).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm 
I use a standard Hoya on mine. I haven't noticed any problems. Though when I stacked my polarizer on mine it had a very prominent binocular or telescope effect at the corners so there is not much room left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:34 pm 
Thank you very much for your replies.

Murdock and csmonte - good to know you haven't had any problems either with vignetting - at least when only using the uv.

Ideally I'd have opted for one of the slim uv's but going on everything I've heard I don't think I could justify the cost difference over the HMC.

Gone with Citruspers' advice and just bought the 77mm Hoya HMC for about £21 including p&p!

Should be arriving within 5 days. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it out.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm 

Good choice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:59 pm 
Hi,

Just to say been trying out my new Hoya HMC with the 10-22 and haven't noticed any vignetting nor loss of quality.

Considering I was initially going to pay significantly more for either a Pro-1 or HD I'm delighted.

The only drawback has been trying to clean it. I got some snow on it the other day and it proved difficult to rid the swirly smears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm 

Thanks for sharing! :)

about the cleaning: I use some liquid meant for glasses and rub that with a microfiber cloth. Then I use another cloth to wipe it clean/dry. Try wiping from side to side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Hi Citruspers, thank you for the advice.

I don't have any cleaning liquid. May well have to get some.

I have blower brush which usually does the job except when it comes to marks.

I have one microfibre cloth but in getting rid of the original smudge it made a few extra ones! Think I probably need a new one. Ordered a lens cleaning pen at the weekend which hopefully will help.