Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm 
Interesting comparison review showing how the 5D MK II sensor stacks up to sim resolution MF and Nikon FF:

http://www.h2hreviews.com/article/Profe ... II-31.html

The article does a good job pointing out the difference in the dslr sensor design - how you get/have to deal with aliasing along with the extra res on MF backs.

Was a little disappointed in the Canon overall after reading the article - the D3s photos overpowered the 5DM2 to my eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:51 pm 

Hi Walter,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum. 8)

And thanks for the link to the review - I'm going to have to wait until I can give it a little more time before reading it but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Walter, that is an interesting article. Are you affiliated with the site in question?

As for the 5D2 versus the D3x, you should also check out my report here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D3x/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm 

Interesting read; I'm still waiting for nikon to grow a pair, and release a 6 megapixel camera that blows all the other APS-C cameras out of the water in terms of noise performance and dynamic range.

Sadly this will never happen because the averaje joe/jane only looks at megapixels :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 am 
I think it was Gizmodo that recently ran an editorial about how we'll hopefully see ISO become the new megapixel over the next year or two. At this point, adding more megapixels is completely for having the biggest number and nothing to do with image quality. I think that ISO could be the thing that might be able to take attention away from megapixels, specifically because you can show people the difference improved ISO performance makes, but you can't do the same with MP anymore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 pm 
NASA just bought a few D3x's. That gives any D3x owner some serious bragging rights.

Another thing i would like to mention:

Technology advances. Canon has just crammed in 18MP in the 7D while maintaining the image quality of a 50D.

Here is how noise is generated:
Each photosite itself generates electrical noise that can contaminate its neighbor. In a larger image sensor, the photosites can be physically further apart and thus be less affected by that contamination.

A bigger sensor is not better because of its larger pixels but because it's less prone to self contamination.

I am sure that in the future we will have 50MP Full frames that will have a much better high ISO and dynamic range than a 24.4MP D3x.

To that add the in-camera noise reduction of a future DIGICXV. :drool:

(we need a drool smiley)

Last edited by agun on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm 
@agun:just for the sake of correction Nikon D3X features 24.5 mp Full frame sensor not 12MP one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm 
Very nice comparisson,still...I think it's wrong to compare them with such poor photo samples. The Canon one looks unfocused & the Hassy one,look like a case of "slow shutter" blur.

Portrait primes on these cameras? That should mean the sharpest results.(& I watched results from Canon 5D MkII,so I'm not ranting for nothing) I have stopped reading this after I saw the samples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm 
Jatinder911 wrote:
@agun:just for the sake of correction Nikon D3X features 24.5 mp Full frame sensor not 12MP one!

OOh shi.... sorry... I confused it with the D3.

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
...I'm still waiting for nikon to grow a pair, and release a 6 megapixel camera that blows all the other APS-C cameras out of the ..

To add to the infamy, Nikon has come "almost close" by letting Fuji use their D200 body and lens mount as a vessel for their Super-CCD (or is it Super-CMOS now..I forget), which does exactly that..and we're talking several years old tech here...

I'm with you..I'd take a kick-butt 6MP sensor coupled with a serious processor any day...in fact I sometime dream of a D40Xs..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 pm 

Jatinder911 wrote:

But the article is comparing the 12mp D3s anyway, so its moot.

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr