Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Release date
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 am 
Does anybody knows the release date? Is it February 24th or somewhere in March? I also heard rumors about April. I really hope that's not the case.

Post subject: canon 550d
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm 
I bought a 450d and some very good lenses about a year ago and have been regretting not buying Nikon ever since. It's hard to change because of the lenses. The 550D looks pretty good but it's still not what I want. I would like a new 60D to have about 15mp, 5 fps, no video, with the new 550Dsensor, improved autofocus, built in level and if possible reduce to crop 1.4 (if the present lenses could still be used). I would buy that camera tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm 
7D has a sensor similar to the 550D sensor. 8fps and slightly more megapixels. The video wont hurt you. Just dont use it. (allthough I must admit thinking in similar ways. I dont want a damn HD video camera, I want a dSLR)
Go buy a 7D. Or sell the lenses and get a Nikon. :)

Post subject: canon 550D
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 pm 
slingshot wrote:
7D has a sensor similar to the 550D sensor. 8fps and slightly more megapixels. The video wont hurt you. Just dont use it. (allthough I must admit thinking in similar ways. I dont want a damn HD video camera, I want a dSLR)
Go buy a 7D. Or sell the lenses and get a Nikon. :)

Yes, I have thought about the 7D. But even though the 7D gets really good write-ups, I still think the Nikon 300S produces better results : the pictures look richer, more dynamic, sharper and the lighting looks better. Because Canon continues to push for higher pixels, they have to use other means to suppress noise and I think that despite the higher pixels they end up looking less sharp. With my present camera, I have to post- sharpen and increase shadow detail in every picture I take. I suspect I would probably still not be happy with the 7D Also, the 7D is quite a price. I think without video, without really high FPS and without 18 mp crammed onto a small sensor and without the need for all the electronic magic required to deal with that, Canon might be able to deliver a camera somewhere in between the 550D and the 7D price ranges. Also, I hate to think of how money I'd lose if I sold my lenses now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 am 
Did you pixel-peep?

Post subject: Re: canon 550d
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 am 
mucalinda wrote:
I would like a new 60D to have about 15mp, 5 fps, no video

thats worse than the current 50D :P..... wish granted

Post subject: Re: canon 550d
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 am 
Adon wrote:
mucalinda wrote:
I would like a new 60D to have about 15mp, 5 fps, no video

thats worse than the current 50D :P..... wish granted

I borrowed a 50D because I thought about buying one. I wasn't impressed with the focusing or the low light performance (in fact I prefered my 450D in low light) but really liked using the camera a lot. The 50D is very nearly the camera I want, that's why I talked about a 60D. There is no need to increase pixel size, thus increasing noise. But to upgrade the 50D with the new 550D sensor, the new digic 4 processor, the gapless microlenses , the improved autofocus and the new iFCL metering system (which finally gets near Nikon metering) Canon would have a really good camera and could still keep the cost down.

Post subject: 500d or 50d or 550d
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 am 
Hi all,

I am a aviation photographer of commercial airplanes, i was considering either the 50d or 500d and now i hear about the 550d release date of 24th Feb apparently.

I take pictures from Manchester Airport Aviation Park and Leeds Bradford airport. I am also keen to take pictures of high flyers and think i may need a 100-400 for this.

I doubt i would use video or if i did it would not be very often.

The majority of my photos would be of planes taxing, taking off and landing please could i have some advise on whether i should go for 500d, 550d or 50d?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:50 pm 
Hello g0lfk1ng, aircrafts taking off and taxing when viewed from distance are quite "slow". Based on that, I believe the rebel's continuous shooting speed should be sufficient for your job. However, I will still recommend you to have a serious consideration in getting a 50d. A semi-pro body with 6.3fps continuous shooting speed with a very competitive price? Its hard to pass that up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:18 pm 
nic. wrote:
Hello g0lfk1ng, aircrafts taking off and taxing when viewed from distance are quite "slow". Based on that, I believe the rebel's continuous shooting speed should be sufficient for your job. However, I will still recommend you to have a serious consideration in getting a 50d. A semi-pro body with 6.3fps continuous shooting speed with a very competitive price? Its hard to pass that up.

Thanks for that, dont mean to sound silly but could you please explain this a bit simpler.

Semi-pro body?

6.3fps continuous shooting speed?

Feel silly asking.

Does the 500d or 550d have the above?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm 
Hello again g0lfk1ng, I will advice you to start a new thread on this to get better respond.

Sorry if I've confused you, you mentioned the 100-400 lens and so I thought you have a pretty decent understanding in dslr.

I'll quickly answer to your 2 questions;

Yes unlike the rebel range (xxxxD or xxxD) , the "xxD" and "xD" range is being considered as canon semi-professional model. They are more solid, have better ergonomic, bigger and heavier. The later three are especially important when you attach a heavy lens like the 100-400 on the camera.

And also continuous shooting speed, all the current rebel's dslr have less than 4fps of continuous shooting speed. When taking the 500d for example, it translates to the camera is able to capture 3.4 photo per second in ideal condition. Having a higher speed will enable you to have better chances of capturing the photo you want when the subject is in motion.

Commercial airplanes nor high flyers are no speed monster, but if I am to shoot with the 100-400, a semi-pro body is definitely on my to-bring list next to a tripod or monopod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:33 pm 
Thanks for that Nic, i now have a bit better understanding. Still along way to go but glad you explained the points for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 pm 
For landscape photography I don't see where the 7D is better than the 550D.

Except maybe the weather seal.

For everything else: mastercard... i mean 7D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:54 pm 
After getting a different camera I gave my 500D to my son. His background is all P&S. He was disappointed that Live View was only available in the Creative Zone Modes and not the Basic Zone Modes. After reading the instruction manual for the 550D on the Canon web site it appears that the 550D now supports Live View in the Basic Zone Modes. This will probably attract first time dslr buyers to this camera. I seldom use Live View unless I'm shooting macro of still product , but I'm sure my son will rush right out and get a 550D when they become available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
For an indepth and very critical camparison between the 550D and the 7D, check out this video before you buy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMKGHN8kPk

It may not help you decide, but after wading through all the specs/reviews on all the sites it might offer some relief :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next