Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:06 am 

Mysterious wrote:
but is it just me or is it surprising that Canon releases any new cameras without the built-in fully articulating screen? :?:

Its such a popular feature on the sx1/10/20..... why not include it in all models?

There are some purists who feel that Live View, much less a vari-angle LCD, has no place on an SLR. Which explains the discrepancy between point-and-shoots vs SLRs.

Gordon Laing wrote:
The 550D / T2i has fewer data channels, which means it can't get the information off as quickly as the 7D, which in turn is one of the factors limiting the continuous shooting rate (the others being processing and the actual physical mechanism).

The 7D's two Digic IVs vs the 550D's one might also have some impact on that.

Quote:
If you're into video, it represents great value

Agreed. However, ironically, the video capability is somewhat compromised by the lack of the aforementioned vari-angle LCD.

LahLahSr wrote:
articulated LCDs ... feels and looks like a "weak structural point" where, after months/years of use, I'd fear it would be prone to breaking off.

The one on my G6 still works fine.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 am 

I think there is a gap that's been overlooked on the video side. In the same way a DSLR photographer may approach things differently than someone with a point a shoot, DSLR video is different than camcorders for similar reasons.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject: Best in class?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm 
The only thing missing is an articulated screen, but everything else a photography and video amateur wants is here. For shooting few seconds or few minutes is perfect as is :). Go Canon! Where is the similar Nikon? Why did Canon hurried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:03 am 
Why would Canon Do this honestly lol

I bought the 7D and they come out with a camera half the price
with extremely similar specs :o

can i expect that the 5D Mark III
will be extremely good

that will be the next camera I upgrade too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 am 
:roll: canon just needs to make a 60d with focus points and af modes like the 7d no video all speed and image quality firmware updates give it high iso picture quality. Its a camera not a camcorder, use all that processor speed for fps, and high iso quality

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:33 am 
:P they got enough pixels get rid of the noise and quit fighting nikon on pixels 15 even 12 mps is plenty or make the 60d a midrange full frame camera that would be a hot seller from hxxl. Bring the d700 something to be scared of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 am 
Hello krktractor, I highly doubt that dslr will take any hit on performance from the movie mode. After all it makes sense that the recording is not an always active process.

Profits are definitely more important to big company like canon. If anything makes their stuff sells, they'll stick to it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 am 
yeah I'm sick of my 7D being 18 MP
and having crappy high ISO quality

whats great about high resolution photos
for sports when I crop

if when I crop all I see is serious Noise

Common Canon. you can do better
your camera are very disappointing

the only things i really like about the camera

are the things that they copied Nikon with

who wants a good video camera??????

not me. its a picture camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 am 

You can't really compare the 550D to 7D other than for movie modes and sensor.

As for high ISO, if the 7D isn't good enough... Over ISO1600, it's easily better than 50D/500D output level, which themselves were no slouches.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 pm 
The 7D has poor high ISO performance????
The tests Ive read suggests the opposite and since I plan on getting one I would love to have that issue cleared. I know it has worse performance than a full framer but as far as cropped sensors go??

On a sidenote I fail to see how the 550 and 7D have very similar specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:36 pm 
Yes majority of the reports I read suggest that the 7d has comparable iso performance to the nikon d300s (Its up to personal taste on which is better).

I myself sadly have no patience to do such thing :lol: and didnt bother with it.

About the 7d with 550d, they indeed are very similar as far as number goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm 
Hi all..
New in here, but really liked the debate about 550D so I had to enter as a member ;)

As I've been able to find out, the autofocus is now in the shooter button.
There's also a autofocus mode usable for liveView (both like 7D).
This was 2 serious "upgrades" for me - coming from point-and-shoot Canon cameras.

The cycling and rather slow autofocus is still remained from 500D :(
I would like to know if it's "to live with" or if I should really wait till next year, upgrading from PAS camera to 7D and go for the G11 meanwhile?

My wife would like to use the camera too, and she's not "into" anything else but automatic settings.. :oops:
I would like a camera with all settings available, including automatic ones ;)

We both love to use videos too, so on this one the 550D is a winner.
But we also need to be able to do some okay fast pictures without having to do anything else than use "auto mode".

Suggestions? :roll: :)

Regards from Denmark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 am 
I was comparing to my brothers full frame Mark II 5D

and one thing I can say
if I have a hard time using the 19 point AF of the 7D

(Loved my 51 point on Nikon (:

the smaller AF system would be a major downer

yes ISO performance is great
but not awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:22 pm 
Viewer. Seems to me you should go for a 7D.
The 550, allthough upgraded and newer, is in the same category as my 450 and allthough that has been a good friend I do feel like Im starting to hit its roof so to speak. So based on that, (and only that) Id say the 550 is a good starter camera. Maybe to try for a year or two. To find out if photography is as fun as you thought it would be, and if it is, to upgrade from. As for your wife the 7D has fully automatic. She would possibly object to the 7D being bigger and heavier than the 550D though I suppose.

And Elijah. Surely (not being any kind of expert myself) comparing a full frame with a cropped sensor will allways have the cropped coming out the loser, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 pm 
Thank you both for replying.
I'm a bit confused that were talking 2010 and auto focusing is a troubled issue.
I had a 35mm Nikon 801 lots of years ago (at least 20!) with auto focus, and except some noisy motor it worked pretty fast, also for moving objects.
I don't remember blend settings on the zoom though.

It seemes that Canon cams are becoming slower (compared to what other companies are offering in dSLR AF with same kind of "glass") ?
It was just not the one I had borrowed - a freind of mine used another 500D with a bigger zoom, but even with plenty of light inside, the autofocus was cyckling madly several times.

I have now decided that if 550D isn't seriously better on AF, the choice will be about the Canon G11 and then wait for another new version from Canon or whatever that will come up with simplicity (auto settings with LCD screen), good pictures (and videos), fast autofocus and opportunity for experimenting a bit too ;)

BTW elijahschaffer - what was the Nikon model u had before (and why did you change it?) :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next