Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:33 am 
Nostrum wrote:
(though I can't see the point of 18MP at this pricepoint, where everyone will be running around with lenses like the 18-55 or 18-200mm and thus not make any use of the resolution anyway).

+1

I understand some needs the high mp count on semi/pro bodies for landscape or other stuff with a pretty tough body but seriously, on a entry level camera? That's overkill.

Well in my opinion canon should really just keep the mp down on their entry level sensor, either utilize their gap-less micro lenses technology for better iso performance or totally forget about it and leave the mp count be.

However, it seems to be a trend at my place that, first time buyer that believes "higher is better" and went with canon and another group of buyer that's been convinced by their friends (who in most case, only have a tad better knowledge than them) that nikon 12 mp is superior and went with nikon.

To be honest, I wish things are so simple :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
Nostrum wrote:
the only interesting point as far as I'm concerned is the slightly redesigned body and supposedly better grip. I found the old XXXDs horribly uncomfortable.

the rest was to be expected.. nothing groundbreaking but pretty solid stuff (though I can't see the point of 18MP at this pricepoint, where everyone will be running around with lenses like the 18-55 or 18-200mm and thus not make any use of the resolution anyway).

same ergonomic here, the grip is also very similar, they just add the exposure compensation/AV button

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VbOtr8 ... r_embedded

According to Canon, it ain't the SAME, but pretty similar indeed. But small changes can make a difference. Same goes for the slightly changed button design. Btw. the EV/AV button was always there ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 am 
Like the 7d, the 550d is actually a very ambitious camera. Canon tend to be pretty aggressive nowadays with their new dslr. The features list is so long that it makes yo feel like you can conquer the world with it :lol:

Its interesting to see how the market respoend :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:53 pm 

Ok, maybe as a photography newbie there's an obvious reason I'm not considering....

but is it just me or is it surprising that Canon releases any new cameras without the built-in fully articulating screen? :?:

Its such a popular feature on the sx1/10/20..... why not include it in all models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm 

Hi Mysterious,

I think the issue may be that it would restrict the size of the LCD panel, particularly given the 3:2 aspect ratio of the 550D/T2i. Personally I'd always opt for a larger LCD than one on an articulating mount.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 pm 
I find the 550D a very nice proposition indeed. As usual, a large amount of higher spec features trickle down into the sub-$1000 Rebel package. I wonder how the 550D will handle IQ on the APS-C format, but if the 7D is an indication, it should be fine. Also, the 3:2 1040k screen in particular seems yum.

Still, I believe fundamental image quality should not increase or decrease. The Rebel line has been relatively constant in IQ since the 400D. ISO sensitivity may have made great strides, but in color representation and contrast, the full frame sensors still produce noticebly better images. Having said that, a high level lens would probably produce sharper results in the 550D, but considering pixel density and the fact that the Rebel crowd usually don't spend $600+ on glass or equipment (I know I don't), that probably doesn't matter.

Personally, I would've prefered a higher framerate (5fps) and updated AF system (it still seems to use the 30D 9-point system).

But once this camera drops to the $750 mark, it will be a very good choice in the upper entry level indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:33 pm 

Articulated screens are another one of the endless rumours that float around. It'll be a strong plus for me if they have one. Sony's A550 manages with a 3 inch screen, although that is a bigger body than xxxD series. I found having one makes tripod use more comfortable so hope it does make it to some Canon model in future.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 pm 
Nostrum wrote:
(though I can't see the point of 18MP at this pricepoint, where everyone will be running around with lenses like the 18-55 or 18-200mm and thus not make any use of the resolution anyway).

I had the same reaction initially, but I think I've figured out what they're doing. Its to save themselves production cost in the long run. Since they're using the same sensor that's in the 7D, they can move more of their production over to the new sensor, and cut down on production of the old one. Generally the more you produce of something the cheaper production costs become. It will also allow them to phase out older sensors faster, reducing the number of different sensors being produced, further reducing production costs.

Look at it this way - why build 2 different parts that perform the same function when for less overall money you could just make one, higher end part? Plus, isn't this what they've done in the past? Release a semi-pro camera with a new CMOS sensor then the next entry level camera gets the same sensor with fewer features attached?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Careful Stig! Technically speaking it's not exactly the same sensor. The 550D / T2i has fewer data channels, which means it can't get the information off as quickly as the 7D, which in turn is one of the factors limiting the continuous shooting rate (the others being processing and the actual physical mechanism).

But yes, many aspects of the sensor are similar or even identical to the 7D, so you'd imagine they'd be able to re-use some of the components or design for this new model. And as you say, that will keep costs down and makes sense for manufacturing.

As for why 18MPs on an entry-level model? As most of you suspect, it's driven by marketing. Most buyers still believe more MPs are better, and when faced with an 18MP camera alongisde one with, say, 15 or 12, most would go for the highest. And as Stig says, if the company can reuse some existing technology to keep costs down, then why not?

Sure, many 550D / T2is will have average lenses on the front, but the high resolution is there if you want to fit something to exploit it at a later date.

I know many are disappointed the 550D /T2i isn't tougher or faster or even more innovative, but this is the pattern we've seen from Canon for a long time and it's unlikely to change. If you're into video, it represents great value, and if the quality is even close to the 7D, then it'll be even more impressive for the money.

By the way, if any of you want to see what the EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 18-135mm IS look like on the EOS 7D as a preview of what to expect from the 550D / T2i, check out my new EF-S 15-85mm IS review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 am 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Mysterious,

I think the issue may be that it would restrict the size of the LCD panel, particularly given the 3:2 aspect ratio of the 550D/T2i. Personally I'd always opt for a larger LCD than one on an articulating mount.

Bob.

hmmmm.... guess that makes sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:03 am 
need to know : which type of people belong to this new cam ? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 am 
liauwsiauwlong wrote:
need to know : which type of people belong to this new cam ? :shock:

Beginners, multimedia artists, visual communication students

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:27 am 
Hi Bob,

I don't know about you, but personally I often find it hard to level the horizon with low-angle shots, without going completely prone.

Like you, I don't really care for articulated LCDs and to me, it feels and looks like a "weak structural point" where, after months/years of use, I'd fear it would be prone to breaking off.

But I have to admit that, in absence of a decent level-indicator on the top-side LCD, it would be nice to be able to level with the rear LCD articulated.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:25 am 

Fair point, LahLahSr, but I think if it came to a choice between a smaller LCD on and articulated mount or a larger fixed LCD I'd still prefer the fixed option and if horizontal orientation became an issue I'd invest in a bubble level for the hotshoe.

But hey, has anyone else put a level display on the top LCD? Not that it makes much difference for the 550D/T2i of course.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:54 pm 

Quite a nice camera.
I think I'd not have a problem working with it as it's quite similar to my 500D but after 450D/1000D/500D they are changing battery + grip.
Well - I'm happy with my 500D - the only real advantage of the 550D is the possibility of using an external microphone - that's something I'm missing on the 500D.

But I still guess I'll save the money for a 5D M3 (I'll need the time until it's released ;) )

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next