Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 pm 

Hi G,

I think the best advice I can give is that you consider the general style of posts used by pretty much all the other forum members.

As for using TinyURL, why not use the [url=...]..[/url] method? It is actually easier (saves a trip to the TinyURL site) and is more readable.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:07 pm 
I've started to delete the entries where I find they contravene cameralabs terms and conditions.

I’m disappointed that my own website which offers a 25% discount on the best software on the market has been deleted.

The post has some important information regarding HDD failures and now that has been deleted.

Incidentally, everything I do for others relating to computing I do for free. Even Genie-soft work, and major computing forums, and a 6 hour free networking job yesterday for a neighbour who is a single parent.

I was just trying to offer some good advice and promote my site (by saving others money while given a good solution) so I could make a little money while studying my two degrees so I can become a teacher in New Zealand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:16 pm 
I've already started going through my posts and deleting links and changing those permited to tinyurl's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:45 pm 

G wrote:
I've already started going through my posts and deleting links and changing those permited to tinyurl's

Thanks G, great editing work and I am really sorry if you feel that we have given you a hard time. In our own defence remember that we do have to deal with spammers from time to time and, very unfortunately, your posting style was very easily mistaken.

In my opinion one of the great strengths of the CameraLabs forum community is the willingness of everyone to devote time and energy to helping others (yes, even we Moderators give our time entirely free of charge) and it's great that you have leapt in with that same spirit. I sincerely hope that you are not discouraged and that, with your new posting style, you will enjoy participating in our conversations.

Best of luck with your degree studies.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:16 am 
Thanks for your kind words with regards to my degree.

No it is not a problem. I was just enthusiastically trying to help and in doing so my post rate looked spam like.

In defence, the links I did supply etc were genuine and based on my hard research etc. So I was just trying to help others same time and money.

I will use the Cameralabs comparison links but I have found some weaknesses in it. I hope that if a non-affiliated link is used that this means it cannot be used as this restricts the value of Cameralabs.

I know affiliations help make money for Cameralabs but it should not get in the way of unbiased cheaper links not found from Cameralabs affiliations. The only solution is to increase the affiliation Cameralabs offers.

I was a manual writer and contributor for a data recovery site. I posted that fixing the master boot record is way down the chain of events in regards to securing data. I did give a fix though.

I mentioned that a backup solution should be top of the list and that to compliment any unrecoverable system failures that may occur, pre-backup windows, their software was still valuable.

The post that I took considerable time in written was deleting.

So, they were protecting their interest, which is fine, but surely advising backup as well and data recovery should not be conflicting.

I asked for my membership to be deleted. I won't be including them in my software discount site either now as I don't believe they were being completely transparent.

I hope Cameralabs does not take the same view in regards to its affiliation links over a cheaper non-affiliation link solution.

All the best,
G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:55 am 

Hi G,

Taking my Moderator's hat off for a moment and writing an entirely personal view, I do occasionally link to stores which aren't partners or affiliates of the CameraLabs sites and whenever I have seen Gordon express a view on the forums it's put no more strongly than a request to check out the prices from those partner and affiliate stores but, of course, to buy from any reputable store offering the best value. The reason I don't put too many links to other stores in my posts is that I feel that by doing so I am potentially imposing on Gordon's hospitality and, in any event, forum members are more than capable of searching for the best deals themselves.

A similar logic applies when linking to other review sites. Did you know that some sites out there actively block (through software) links to other sites such as CameraLabs? Here we rely on the self-discipline of the community: again personally, while I will very occasionally link to such sites if they are the only source of the information I need to make a point, I try hard find alternative sources.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:02 pm 
I understand Bob.

Likewise, I respect Gordon's expertise in computing and photography. I’m reading his computing articles in PC World’s magazine for Jan 2008.

Hey, Gordon, how’s your games simulator going? I haven’t read anything about it in ages.

How did you get on with your new backpack Bob?

Like all my kit, I’ve read the reviews and spec sheets and trusted my judgment, so I ordered the ThinkTank Rotation 360, and a few other ThinkTank pieces, so I will let you know what it feels like on. I know you had reservations about purchasing it without trying it on.

Most of my kit is arriving soon so I'm now going through a catalogue of books. I’m going to pick one or two within each subject area, i.e., portrait, and for shots in Disneyland etc, and the technical side of lighting and Adobe Photoshop LightRoom.

I want to be up top speed by the end of April.

I also ordered the Spider3Elite as I do not have anything to calibrate my LCDs with. It’s a bit pointless using LightRoom and PhotoShop without calibrating LCDs or CRTs. I won’t be printing them out myself, even though I have the Canon PIXMA IP5000. I will leave that for a proper lab. using optimal paper.

"Did you know that some sites out there actively block (through software) links to other sites such as CameraLabs?"

No I didn't. I'II put cameralabs.com on my site when it goes live in about two weeks from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi G, do you mean the MAME emulator project? I hope to build that cabinet sometime next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:07 am 
That's the one Gordon :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 am 
Site Admin

I will get round to it eventually!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 am 
I don't know how you keep up with it all - computing and cameras.

I enjoyed your PC World articles. Also noticed that you write for Computer Shopper too. Was it Dec edition?, but I also read PCAdvisor.

I’m sure it was camera related.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:06 pm 
Canon 20-70 F2.8 L (Typo-error. It should be 24-70 (any reference to 20-70 in any further posts of mine is really referring to the 24-70mm f/2.8L)
This one: http://tinyurl.com/22e7ra)

Gordon, I remember you mentioning this as being quite out so I did a double-check. Obviously, you were referring to its discontinued predecessor.

It was just a typo-error. I ordered the correct one :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 pm 
Bought some more kit.

The ThinkTank bags and cases listed in my previous post reply are first-class.

• Pec-Pad Photo Wipes

• Spyder 3 Elit

• Hama LCD Protector (Found out I prefer without the LCD protector)

• Hama Lens Cleaning Pen

• Q Ball blower

• Lexar firewire 800 CF card reader (Thanks Gordon. You recommended it in PC World magazine and I liked the idea of an ejector button as opposed to just wrestling to remove it)

• SanDisk ultra 2 2GB (For Canon firmware updates)

• MacBeth White Balance Chart

• MacBeth Grey Scale Chart

That is it now, really until I go to the US and get the Gitzo tripod and monopod equipment etc.

I am getting to grips with the Canon 40D, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L and Canon Speedlite 580 EX Mark II.

I have ordered some books to get me up to speed quickly.