Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:42 am 
Hey guys im new here

I just got the Rebel XTi one week ago.

Its a very interesting camera and all but i need some help... :)

Well i photograph exotic cars "Automotive Photography"

Well i want to use M manual mode, like im having alot of trouble changing the lighting its on -2 right now but i want it to be 0, like i changed my shutter really low and then i clicked av+- and it changed then, the only problem is that when i point it at something different it keeps going down to -1 +2 0 all over the place. Can i just set it so its at 0 the whole time?

What other modes are good for fast action photography and fast sharp picture's?

does anyone recommend any filters?

i have a 18-55 and a 75-300, im looking to get something like 28-75 or 28-135 something like that soon.

help me guys, thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:26 am 
Hi and welcome.
Nice camera the XTi, I'm sure you'll love it.
About your questions:
If you're using manual (M), the camera shows the amount of exposure you get on the -2 to +2 scale. The camera cannot set it to 0, since you're in manual mode, only you can change the settings.
If you want the camera to set your exposure, you can use the full automatic modes (there is one for action photos). You can also use (and I prefer this over the full automatic) the semi auto modes (Av and Tv), you set the aparture or time (depends on your mode) and the camera will adjust other parameters automatically to get the right exposure. You can also move the exposure manually to -1, -1/3 etc, and then the camera will adjust the settings to fit the exposure.

About the lenses, it really depends what you want to shoot. Because of the 1.6 factor, the 28mm lenses might not be wide enough (it will become 45mm).
I suggest saving some money and buy higher quality lenses which will meet your needs like the 17-55 f/2.8, 17-40L or 24-105L

Good luck and enjoy your new camera.
Liron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:11 am 
also with the bigger battery pack how much more battery life does it give the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 pm 
There are higher mah batteries but those aren't canon made and could have problems. They might give some more but I don't know how good they are. Also there is a battery grip that allows a 2nd battery. Makes it easier for portraits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dark Realm, I don't have exact figures, but if you're talking about the battery grip for the 400D / XTi, it takes two battery packs (but takes the space of the existing one), so basically doubles your lifespan.

Hi 1exotic, I fully agree with Amitzil - don't worry about Manual mode. Try using Program (P) mode for most of your shots as it's fully automatic, but will still let you adjust things. Or use Aperture and Shutter Priority modes (Av and Tv) when you want to set the aperture or shutter manually, but have the camera figure out everything else.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:54 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Hi 1exotic, I fully agree with Amitzil - don't worry about Manual mode. Try using Program (P) mode for most of your shots as it's fully automatic, but will still let you adjust things. Or use Aperture and Shutter Priority modes (Av and Tv) when you want to set the aperture or shutter manually, but have the camera figure out everything else.

Gordon

is there any good filters that could make my picture's more crisp or any lens add-ons?
i only have a us protector which is a shield for the lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:26 am 
Site Admin

If you mean sharper, then no filter will do it - indeed a poor quality filter could make your picture less sharp. A top quality new lens will be able to produce sharper images, but if you want a big boost without spening any money, try experimenting with photo software on your computer. Most will have sharpening settings, so play around until you get the result you want.

If you are ready for a new lens though, check out this group test:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Post subject: Help please, Thanks ;)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:45 pm 
Sorry guys for asking so much... but..

I just wanted to know is there any lens or any good filters for the canon rebel xti that can make colour's stand out alot and good, it dosn't have to be perfect.. just good.

and you see the rainbow effect in the lights on this carrera gt and audi r8..
is there any filter that could get this job done doing this?

thank you!

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6601/dsc0165rp0.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1565/dsc0212gv4.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

(off topic: Wow, that Audi looks nice!)

The only filter which you should consider is a circular polarising filter. As these are rotated, you'll see they can make blue skies even bluer, and can also remove reflections from glass and water - but NOT metal.

Polarisers do however require longer exposures, so you have to be careful about camera shake unless it's very bright. And in some conditions they won't make any differecne at all. So don't attach them unless you want or need their effect.

As for those photos, I didn't see anything which would have required a special filter - just nice lighting and careful composition. The headlamp rainbow weffect was probably accidental and was just the way the light was caught in there - although again a polariser could give you more control here.

If you want punchier colours, again, this is something you can do afterwards in software. You're looking for a Saturation control - turn it up and the colours will be boosted.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:03 am 
[quote="Gordon Laing"](off topic: Wow, that Audi looks nice!)

The only filter which you should consider is a circular polarising filter. As these are rotated, you'll see they can make blue skies even bluer, and can also remove reflections from glass and water - but NOT metal.

Polarisers do however require longer exposures, so you have to be careful about camera shake unless it's very bright. And in some conditions they won't make any differecne at all. So don't attach them unless you want or need their effect.

As for those photos, I didn't see anything which would have required a special filter - just nice lighting and careful composition. The headlamp rainbow weffect was probably accidental and was just the way the light was caught in there - although again a polariser could give you more control here.

If you want punchier colours, again, this is something you can do afterwards in software. You're looking for a Saturation control - turn it up and the colours will be boosted.

Gordon[/quote]

yes thats what i was looking for

thanks gogo :)

btw i saw a white one of those today..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:06 am 
See my friend took this picture today, he has a nikon d40 and that filter you just said^^, cant this type of stuff be done on the xti?

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5369/gfhfghfhj0.jpg

and sorry to ask you here but, how are the tamron lens's? good? tamron seems to be good for me, because 28-200 or 250/300 would be PERFECT for me, but are they good overall lens's? can you explain in your words thanks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:38 am 
Site Admin

Yep, anything you can do on the D40 you can do on your XTi.

As for Tamron, best to ask in the Tamron forum. I haven't had much experience with them myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 am 

Hi 1exotic,

Just a quick housekeeping note relating to your penultimate post. If you want to "quote" someone remember to make sure that the "Disable BBCode in this post" checkbox is not ticked - the checkbox is just below the edit box where you compose your posts.

If you would like BBCode to be normally enabled then you can arrange this by changing the appropriate default in your Profile.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.