Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm 

There will always be bad reviews/problems with every product no matter how expensive it is. Everyone will have horror stories to tell about how their version was broken, had focussing problems, autofocus problems ect. Do not worry about these. As long as the majority of the reviews are very good, which of the ones I have seen are, you shouldn't have a problem. The general thought about this lens is that it is the best telephoto lens within that price range and offers great value for money. If you did have a problem, which is highly unlikely, I'm sure the Tamron customer surface would be happy to sort the problem out. If you buy through somewhere reputable like Jessops, Amazon ect they will make sure you get the version fixed or offer you a new version.

Hope this helps,

James

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 am 

Hi,
I have a canon EOS 1100 HD and I want to get a macro lens for it to take photos of flowers, manly. Can you suggest me a macro lens for it?
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, we've published a guide to help Canon DSLR owners choose their next lens.

This guide is aimed at first-time or relatively new DSLR owners who know what kind of photo they want to take, but are not sure what kind of lens they need to do it.

We've split the guide into five sections covering portrait, sports, close-up, wide-angle and general-purpose photography. Within each section we've picked out a number of highlights from the Canon lens catalogue which are ideal for that purpose.

We plan to produce guides to Nikon and Sony mounts in the near future, along with extending all guides to include third party options. In the meantime, I hope you'll find this guide useful, and as always if you have any questions, please ask right here in the forum. Please keep this thread for comments about the guide though and ask specific lens questions in new or existing threads - thanks!

See our Canon lens buyers guide.

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

Well I guess the first and most important question is: what is your budget?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm 

I'm in the market for buying my first DSLR camera, and I'm looking at the Canon 60D. There are various standard kit lenses packages around to choose from, but I cant find any info regarding the difference between an IS lense and an "IS II" lense.

One natrurally assumes that the IS II is the newer version of the IS, and would assume that it is therefore better, but is it? and in what way? Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance,
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am 

MartinK wrote:
One natrurally assumes that the IS II is the newer version of the IS, and would assume that it is therefore better, but is it? and in what way? Can anyone help please?

The "II" doesn't necessarily denote a newer version of IS, it's a "Mark II" version of the lens so changes can include lens elements and groupings, AF motors, the IS system, the magnification ratio, focusing distance, E-TTL metering, etc. In short, pretty much anything can be changed - the IS can actually remain unchanged.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I understand that it denotes that it is a "Mark II" of the 'product', and I should of probably made that clearer in my post. What I'm trying to establish is what the difference actually is between the 'Mark i' and the "Mark ii", and I would be grateful if anyone can enlighten me please?

As I say my assumption would be that the Mark ii would be "new and improved", yet the Mark i seems to be selling for a higher price, which tends to suggest otherwise (though not necessarily the case)

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed unnecessary quotes. Please quote responsibly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 pm 

Well in my opinion, a MKII might not always make a huge difference from a MKI lens, and if you have a low budget, going for the cheaper one (usually the MKI) won't hurt too much. Which are the lenses that you are looking at that confuse you?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 pm 

Thanks pierovera,

I'm looking at buying the Canon 60d Camera with EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit, and will also probably go for the EF-S 55-250mm IS II Lens.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 am 

Well about the EF-S 18-55mm, I've used both the MKI and the MKII and there isn't really a big difference. Yes, the MKII is a bit better, but really in practice you won't even notice it. For the EF-S 55-250mm I can't tell you from personal experience, but I would say that from what I've read online (I'm also considering this lens), the differences aren't that big, although you might notice a change, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 pm 

Greetings,

Nicely presented Mr. Gordon.
I'm pondering to buy my first DSLR camera, and I'm looking at the EOS 5D Mark III(Canon). Finger crossed.. Let's see.. any suggestions would be appreciated.. . . . .
Thank you. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm 

I prefer AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR which is famous for its long range captivity.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed unnecessary quote. Please quote responsibly.