Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 40D vs Sony A700
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:57 pm 
Hi all

My take on the sony vs the canon is for pure image quality, the canon comes out on top at iso's above 400 and whatever resolution advantage the sony has is negated by noise and noise reduction.

Is this a fair view?

Now for my griping session, directed at no one, just the world!
More and more im seeing comments like more features, higher spects, being equated to being a better camera, almost lost many times is the bottom line what is the IQ? Features and bells are nice and some CAN increase or help you increase IQ but in the end it still comes down to the sensor and the lens!

Havinig said the above as the happy owner of a 40D I am unhappy about one thing, the Lcd, there is no excuse why one is not able to review a picture and check for sharpness! By all accounts the Lcd inself is sharp enough, it's just the small jpegs that canon lets you view, would it really be a big deal for canon to give us some firmware to let us see a higher resolution review image? If the fear is it would slow things down, Id venture to say most 40D owners would be very happy with that small trade off.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:36 pm 

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit confused. :? It's easy enough to magnify the image (using the button at the top right of the back) under review and then pan around using the joystick. What am I missing?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:01 pm 
Hi Bob,

Maybe I was not being very clear in what i said.
I do zoom in and use the joystick.

My complaint is not that the Lcd is not the same resolution of the sony or nikon, would be nice but not a big deal.

My complaint is that the limiting factor as far as reviewing an image is not the sharpness of the Lcd but the low resolution jpeg that canon uses.

Take a picture, zoom in and then compare to the same image using live view and you will see the that when zooming in with a live view image that it is much sharper! So is very easy to tell if you have a sharp focus.

I don't see why canon has given us such a low resolution review image and is really my only complaint on what is an outstanding camera!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:24 pm 

Thanks for the clarification Dave, I knew I had to be missing something! Your observation is surprising. Not having looked ( :roll: ) into this I would have assumed that if you save in Large Fine JPEG then reviewing the magnified image on the LCD would give you the same degree of sharpness but your observation indicates otherwise.

I wonder if this is just a Canon thing?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Out of curiousity Dave, are you shooting in RAW on the 40D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:47 pm 
Hi Gordon,

Yes I almost always shoot Raw. Some times just Raw, other times Raw + Jpegs and middle compression.

Should that make a difference?

Is there some settings that would give sharper review images?

As of yet I have not compard review image quality of Raw vs Jpeg

All I know for sure is that as my camera is set as of now, compard to live view the review images are not using the full resolution of the Lcd.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I don't know about the 40D, but I know some cameras when shooting RAW only, also record a small JPEG for use as a preview - maybe that's what you're seeing. Could you see if the situation improves if you shoot an image as JPEG only or RAW+JPEG?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:43 am 
Hi Gordon,

Had the energy tonight to try comparing Raw vs Jpeg large and Jpeg small, hand held, really need to stick on a tripod to test right. In the end Image sharpeness looked to be about the same, will do on tripod soon.

Would it really be a big deal for canon to write a little code, telling the camera to use a larger quality jpeg?

Again it's not the fault of the Lcd, one can zoom in 5-10X in live view and see a very sharp image.

Hardly a deal breaker, the camera otherwise is a joy to use and the few prints I have made are excelent, the IQ not so much my skill!

Dave