Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 pm 
after weeks of to'ing and fro'ing between cameras, i finally decided to get a canon 400d. my dilema now is which lens. the standard kit lens dosent really appeal to me. currently i have a lovely old canon a1 and i mainly use a 50mm lens with that so id like something similar. that said id really like a true wide angle and i also want a zoom lens. i dont want to commit to just canon lenses because it will be too expencive. i really like the idea of canon ef-s 10-22 3.5-4.5 but its rather costly so id like to know if there is any alternative? i want something with a decent zoom as well as i dont want to be stuck with a lens that isnt much use for anything. my 50mm lens is pretty good close up and the 2 zoom lenses i have with my canon both have macro which is something i use quite alot.
any help would be very much appreciated, i really am stuck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm 

I think that you could look to Sigma for less expensive alternatives to Canon lenses. For the wide end you could look at the Sigma 10-20. I'm not sure what kind of budget you have, but there are two different Sigma zooms that you might like. First, there's the 18-200 OS zoom lens, and then the much higher quality 70-200 f/2.8. The 18-200 is on optically stabilized lens that pretty much gives you all the range you'll need for most situations. Just remember that when you cram a 10x zoom into one lens there's always a sacrifice in quality.

Since you mentioned that you like your 50mm on your A1, take a look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It would give you an equivalent FOV on your 400D as the 50mm on your A1.

I'm sure that Tokina and Tamron also have lenses in the same range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:07 pm 

Hi leonak,

Congratulations on your decision to go with Canon and the 400D. I'm sure you will be delighted with it, even though it can't compete with the lovely retro styling of the A-1. Here's a bit of gratuitous imagery for those who don't know the camera.
It's a shame you can't use your old lenses but, as you know, they need an adaptor and still won't focus at infinity. They might be of use for the macro work however but you would need to do some research on that possibility. Here are a few thoughts on possible choices for new lenses but please bear in mind that I own none of the following except the 50mm f/1.8.

The EF 50mm f1.8 II is great value if you are looking for a portrait lens for the 400D but if you are into macro work then the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro would seem to give you the best of both worlds. Would a dedicated full-frame equivalent focal length of 96mm be good enough for your macro photography?

Of course to get the equivalent of your current 50mm prime you are looking for a focal length of around 30mm on a cropped sensor. At the sort of budget you are implying Canon's offerings in this area don't receive unqualified praise but neither do the third party primes either.

As for wide-angle zooms, the Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX HSM DC might be worth considering as a cheaper alternative to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM. Both Tamron and Tokina offer similar models.

For a more general purpose zoom I am sure you have read and digested Gordon's EOS 400D / Rebel XTi lens upgrade group test. Unfortunately you have to look elsewhere if you want a general purpose zoom with a dedicated macro facility and, as far as I can see, doing so means losing out on IS. The Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro has been well reviewed and might be a possibility. Would you consider using Canon's EF12 II or EF25 II Extension Tubes as an alternative to a dedicated macro lens?

I'm not clear on your needs at the telephoto end of the scale. What sort of focal lengths (and budget) are you aiming for initially?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:58 pm 
i own the a1 now because someone lent it to me years ago and never asked for it back. as a result i have the lenses that came with it rather than ones i chose for myself. im afraid i have made a bit of a cock up. i put my back out on saturday and am still in quite alot of pain and just not thinking straight. im talking about one lens and thinking of another. i do have a 50mm lens but the one i mainly use is a 28mm. i use the lens for pretty much everything i have ever shot. mainly landscapes but i have used closeup filters on it for sort of macro too. it captures far more of a scene than my zoom lenses zoomed out so that is why i am quite keen to get a wideangle as i would like to take that side of it further.
the EF 50mm f1.8 II is very cheap which is good considering i want to get a couple of lenses. from reading about the ef-s 60mm though, it sounds like it could be something i might like.
as for zooms, i have a nikon n60 which i loath and never use. it came with a sigma 28-200mm lens which is fairly useless to me. i have 2 zooms for the a1, a 28-200 and 80-205. the latter i never use. i would really like a bit more than that so i wander if extention tubes might be the answer rather than splashing out a small fortune for a massive zoom?
i like doing documentary style photography and like to photograph people so obviously i need a decent zoom for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:28 pm 

Hi leonak,

Just a quick note on Canon terminology. The extension tubes I referred to just move the lens further from the sensor which allows extra magnification for macro work. If you want to obtain extra telephoto reach then you need Canon's EF 1.4x or 2x Converters but be warned that they are only compatible with Canon's more expensive lenses (check the Canon web-site for details).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.