Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dead pixel on my 40D
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm 
Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new EOS-40D with the 17-85 IS USM kit lens today, and promptly started exploring this fantastic bit of kit.
My delight was short lived however when I noticed an strange speck on an image I'd taken using live view hooked up to my PC...
A bit of pixel peeping later revealed a dead pixel just below left of centre on all images :(
It's definitely dead rather than 'hot', as it shows up on all images regardless of ISO setting or shutter speed.

Suffice to say that I shall be returning to Jessops tomorrow for an exchange.

Follow link below for a couple of 100% crops to see what I mean:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24004489@N00/1987579655/in/photostream/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on the kit IcyBlue and sorry to hear about the dead pixel - that is quite unusual - we see them on screens all the time, but rarely on the actual sensor. Still it's great you spotted it so soon and that it's hardly had a chance to affect any photos.

Hope you can report back with a 100% model soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:43 pm 
Well I'm happy to report that I returned my 40D for an exchange, which Jessops agreed to without question.
As far as I have been able to tell (with much pixel peeping!) I now have a fault free sensor :D though I have to say the weather has not been kind here the last few days, so I've yet to give the camera a proper run out...

Below links to a couple of indoor shots taken whilst messing around... I mean experimenting :wink:
Snoozey Cat
Boo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:53 pm 
OK, so the weather finally broke long enough today for me to go out with my new toy, and see what it (and I) could do.

I've stuck a few pics in the Cameralabs pool on Flickr for your perusal.

Be gentle - this is the first DSLR I've ever had and my photographic training pretty much starts and ends with whatever I can find on 'tinternet! - Constructive critisism welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:00 pm 

Hi IcyBlue,

Nice shots - have you started playing with AEB yet? A sequence of three AEB shots at 6.5fps is quite feasible handheld and allows all sorts of fun with high dynamic range subjects like
By the way, like the Avatar. I've spent a year of my life in the shadow of the Matterhorn. 8) 8) 8) I've hung up the skis now, though. :( :( :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:20 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
...A sequence of three AEB shots at 6.5fps is quite feasible handheld and allows all sorts of fun with high dynamic range...

What a great idea! That's definitely going on my list of things to try next, thanks Bob :D

Quote:
By the way, like the Avatar...

Thanks, that was taken last Christmas, we love Zermatt and are going back for New Year this year :cool: